RE: Mass shooting in Orlando
All I know is that I'd still be an atheist. Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
13-06-2016, 04:24 AM
(12-06-2016 09:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 04:50 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  ...
Saying that you are an atheist in Europe might even not raise an eyebrow and
while in US coming out as an atheist may cost you some friends and even family renounce you in worst cases , in these countries:

Afghanistan, Iran, Malaysia, Maldives, Mauritania, Nigeria, Pakistan, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

coming out as an atheist gets your head chopped off.

http://www.thewire.com/global/2013/12/13...th/355961/

Nope. It's still attached.

(12-06-2016 02:58 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Yes, and it would be because of religious fundamentalism as it is in the countries listed.

So here's a thought experiment...

If all 'holy' scriptures decreed that homosexual acts are not only acceptable but compulsory - let's say, five times a day and referred to as the doctrine of "loving thy neighbour" - do you think that some humans will become fanatical about it (to the point of murdering people who do not comply); that some will shamelessly ignore it; that some will not follow the holy law and feel guilty about it until they go to confession?

What would a world like that look like?

Consider

Quote:Nope. It's still attached.

Well, I did things that are against the law too but never spent a day in prison, that doesn`t mean that things I`ve done are not against the law and that I wouldn`t be punished if caught .
So, yeah, I get that laws are not enforced to the fullest and that maybe foreigners and non Muslims enjoy leniency ( or are not even obligated to follow the law ) compared to apostates from the Islam.

Malaysia's laws are a strange mixture of secular and religious, with different standards applied to different groups. The constitution requires that every ethnic Malay be a Muslim — but the other groups can believe what they like. Muslims are legally subject to Sharia law, meaning that activities such as premarital sex[1] and imbibing alcohol — which are perfectly normal among the Chinese community, some of the Indian community, and tourists — are legally punishable for ethnic Malays and other Muslims. Those wishing to abandon Islam or convert to another faith may still be referred to a Sharia court for punishment, since both the secular and Sharia court might not recognise the conversion, and they could be held liable for the crime of apostasy.
(If I am not mistaking , punishment for apostasy under the sharia law is death.)

and that laws are not the same in all Malaysian states.

Malaysia Shariah Law: Islamist Party Passes Bill To Implement Harsh Islamic Criminal Punishments

That being said, how free are you to publicly express your beliefs and in your experience, how free are the ex muslims to express their beliefs in Malaysia ?

Quote:What would a world like that look like?

IDK, maybe it would look similar to this

http://www.orijinculture.com/community/m...ua-guinea/

The young boys are also introduced to older warriors who are told that bachelors are going to “copulate” with them to make them grow. Throughout much of the 6 stages, the act of having the stick of cane inserted into the nostrils and the performance of “fallatio”

Additionally, the act of performing fellatio and the act of ingesting semen is seen as an integral part of manhood because boys are unable to mature into men unless they ingest semen and they adhere to the notion that all men have, “eaten the penis”. According to Sambia belief, the semen of a man possesses the “masculine spirit,” which young boys will be able to attain through his ingestion of semen.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
13-06-2016, 04:50 AM
(12-06-2016 06:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Thread split

If you want to discuss gun control go here....

(12-06-2016 09:34 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 09:25 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  Let's try and save Moms trouble and keep politics out of this thread.

Nice try.

(12-06-2016 09:39 AM)JDog554 Wrote:  ... a thread in the politics section could be created but if this thread gets too political Moms or DLJ or whoever will eventually have to split it because that stuff usually starts debates.

Good call.

*Sigh* well, I tried.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
13-06-2016, 08:45 AM
(12-06-2016 04:11 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  And , the fact that you had to go back to the 90's to find your examples of "Christian terrorists " one of whom wasn't even motivated by christianity , while in the meantime there were hundreds upon hundreds of terrorists attacks motivated by islam speaks loudly to what is the religion/ideology that we need to worry about.

Those are just the ones that popped into my head. Here are some more recent ones.

#sigh
13-06-2016, 08:50 AM
[Image: NkJSBO.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
13-06-2016, 09:19 AM
(13-06-2016 08:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-06-2016 04:11 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  And , the fact that you had to go back to the 90's to find your examples of "Christian terrorists " one of whom wasn't even motivated by christianity , while in the meantime there were hundreds upon hundreds of terrorists attacks motivated by islam speaks loudly to what is the religion/ideology that we need to worry about.

Those are just the ones that popped into my head. Here are some more recent ones.

To be fair some on that list are hardly "recent" ...1996,1994... and the "The murder of Alan Berg" was all the way back in 1984.

Nobody is denying that you Muricans are also nuts, but you have to admit that all of those cases put together are completely minuscule in comparison to the terrorist attacks carried out by Islamic terrorists.
Just the 9/11 attacks alone will never be surpassed by anything Christian extremists will ever do even if you put all of them together.

I am not sure , but are you trying to say that Christian and Islamic terrorism are comparable?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
13-06-2016, 09:24 AM (This post was last modified: 13-06-2016 10:05 AM by GirlyMan.)
(13-06-2016 09:19 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I am not sure , but are you trying to say that Christian and Islamic terrorism are comparable?

I think what I am trying to say is I don't see the need to further qualify "terrorism". I think the Bundy brothers' and crazy coot father's armed occupation of federal lands also qualifies as terrorism. But I don't call it Mormon terrorism.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-06-2016, 09:33 AM
(13-06-2016 09:19 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  I am not sure , but are you trying to say that Christian and Islamic terrorism are comparable?

I wouldn't presume to speak for Girly. I will say that the textual justifications for violence exist in all the Abrahamic traditions, waiting for someone to shout them with charismatic fervor at a receptive audience.

Right now Islam is being used for violence more than Judaism or Christianity. Not too long ago, historically speaking, Christianity was prominent in justifying slavery and genocide. Judaism was used to promote a variety of bloodthirsty regional wars some centuries before that. Who knows what the faddish death cult will be in a hundred years or so?

I'm their current expression, Islam does seem to have a lead in body count. In their potential to inspire and justify murder as righteousness, they have all proven themselves one time or another.
[+] 4 users Like I Am's post
13-06-2016, 09:52 AM
(13-06-2016 08:50 AM)Vosur Wrote:  [Image: NkJSBO.jpg]

So the fuck what! Yes religion played a roll, but lets not forget that the asshole bigots on the right use that same bible to deny LGBT rights.

You forgot about the gay hater in LA that was arrested yesterday before he could do the same thing. That sicko was white and not Muslim, and had way more weapons in his car.

Playing a fucking shell game.

"It's the Islamic terrorists"

But when the Va Tech shooter did it

"He was mentally ill"

The abortion clinic shooter based his violence on Christianity.

Dillon Roof was not a Muslim.

But regardless of motive, all of them got their hands on guns. This guy bought his gun LEGALLY! The Va Tech shooter also had no record at the time of buy.

YES religion was part of the motive. But that is also a problem with Christianity too. Those books teach tribalism, and we always hear followers of both say "I will die for what I believe". Well, when you are taught that kind of tribalism, and told you have a right to "defend" yourself, what do people desire to do that? Weapons.

So if you want to blame gun deaths on religion, be consistent, because it is that belief that you are entitled to both guns and religion, the result is the no rules climate we have now that has lead to our flooded market.

I am sick of this bullshit. You cant have it both ways. You cant rightfully say you want to keep guns out of the wrong hands then obstruct any and all attempts to change things.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
13-06-2016, 10:20 AM
I woke this morning to about 20 posts from family members on Facebook saying that this was the result of "taking prayer out of schools" and having "hearts without God". It has been really hard for me not to explode at them.

This guy had a "heart full of God", which is what made him feel justified in killing those whom he felt God hated as much as he did.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 8 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post