Mass shooting in Orlando

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2016, 04:24 PM
RE: Mass shooting in Orlando
(13-06-2016 04:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 03:33 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Fair point, it depends. When I said "we" I mostly meant western countries as in "civilized", but now I realize you probably don't consider me as a part of a civilized world, so my voice on the matter must be quite redundant from your perspective.

You realize you're a dick, right?

Yes

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
13-06-2016, 05:09 PM
(13-06-2016 03:34 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  That sounds pretty witty until you look at the media, Vos. Fear sells.
True, but the media isn't selling fear of Islam. It's selling fear of guns.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
13-06-2016, 09:08 PM
(13-06-2016 05:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 03:34 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  That sounds pretty witty until you look at the media, Vos. Fear sells.

It's selling the fear of a lot of things, but mostly the fear that Maytag's deals and warranties will expire.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 3 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
13-06-2016, 09:33 PM
(13-06-2016 05:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  

Maybe not where you're at. The media here in America sells Islamophobia like it's going out of style.

Now that I think of it, didn't Austria just elect a far-right guy in part on his rhetoric against Muslim immigrants?

(13-06-2016 09:08 PM)Old Man Marsh Wrote:  It's selling the fear of a lot of things, but mostly the fear that Maytag's deals and warranties will expire.

Almost everything they sell is based on fear, such that the "feel-good story" has a label to separate and identify it.
13-06-2016, 10:12 PM
(13-06-2016 03:22 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Found this quote on Twitter today: "We live in a world where Christianity is demonized over cake and Islam is defended despite 50 dead at a gay club. Amazing."

Well people have a narrative, and that narrative is the progressive stack.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
13-06-2016, 10:59 PM
(13-06-2016 09:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Maybe not where you're at. The media here in America sells Islamophobia like it's going out of style.
Can you post some examples? I haven't seen CNN, the Huffington Post, the New York Times, MSNBC or the Washington Post peddling Islamophobia after this tragedy occurred.

Can we stop using that ridiculous term already, by the way? There's nothing irrational about being afraid of or hating an ideology whose adherents are prone to commit violence against those who criticize or act counter to their religious beliefs.

(13-06-2016 09:33 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Now that I think of it, didn't Austria just elect a far-right guy in part on his rhetoric against Muslim immigrants?
No, that guy lost the election by a very narrow margin (>1%).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
13-06-2016, 11:53 PM
I guess it's difficult if not impossible to tell exactly which Muslim US citizens are "sleepers" or have been furtively radicalised by the Islamic State. To all intents and purposes, Omar Mateen was a perfectly normal husband and father who followed the American lifestyle and observed its laws.

I also don't understand how he could've purchased both a .223 calibre AR rifle plus a 9mm semiautomatic pistol 12 days before the shooting without triggering (sorry) a prompt response from the FBI, considering that he'd been on its Terrorist Screening Database for three years. Mateen had also previously expressed solidarity with the 2013 Boston bombers, and an American suicide bomber who belonged to an al-Qaeda affiliate in Syria.

So... can someone tell me what the requirements are for purchasing firearms in the US; is it a Federal matter or an individual state matter; what sorts of proof of identity is needed; is an audited government register of firearm purchases maintained by gun shops; is it legal to carry a rifle in public; is there any sort of "cooling off" period between paying for firearms and picking them up?

Personally, I maintain an awareness of any Muslim tourists passing through my neighbourhood—although I'm nor paranoid about it—but luckily there's no Muslim residents in our little country town. Just how I like it.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
14-06-2016, 06:08 AM
(13-06-2016 11:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I guess it's difficult if not impossible to tell exactly which Muslim US citizens are "sleepers" or have been furtively radicalised by the Islamic State. To all intents and purposes, Omar Mateen was a perfectly normal husband and father who followed the American lifestyle and observed its laws.

He was a wife beater...I have to hope that's not a perfectly normal husband following the American lifestyle. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
14-06-2016, 07:56 AM
(14-06-2016 06:08 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 11:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  I guess it's difficult if not impossible to tell exactly which Muslim US citizens are "sleepers" or have been furtively radicalised by the Islamic State. To all intents and purposes, Omar Mateen was a perfectly normal husband and father who followed the American lifestyle and observed its laws.

He was a wife beater...I have to hope that's not a perfectly normal husband following the American lifestyle. Undecided

Maybe he was listening to this guy

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
14-06-2016, 08:14 AM
(14-06-2016 07:56 AM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 06:08 AM)Anjele Wrote:  He was a wife beater...I have to hope that's not a perfectly normal husband following the American lifestyle. Undecided

Maybe he was listening to this guy

Holy cow!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post