Mass shooting in Orlando

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2016, 10:09 PM
RE: Mass shooting in Orlando
(14-06-2016 09:50 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 09:34 PM)Banjo Wrote:  Do you have a solution?
Yeah. You might even say that I have a final solution. Angel

On a more serious note: No, I don't know how to solve this problem. I'm not optimistic enough to believe that Islam will experience a reformation within my lifetime and I also don't believe that the US government is going to adopt a sensible foreign policy for the Middle East anytime soon. The military industrial complex stands to earn too much money for there to ever be peace in that region.

Yes it is certainly difficult for us on a message board to solve.

These problems predate Islam. Ask Roman Emperor Valerian who was captured by Shapur and used as a footstool.

America is a new kid on the block with zero knowledge of history trying to be the world's policeman and trying to create peace. Won't happen.

As Rome knew, riches come from the east, and as such attempted to control it all. They were somewhat successful. But never fully.

ISIS or ISIL is just another excuse to get at those riches. And on it will go. America lost at home years ago when the gun lobby took control of the government. So as Chalmers called it, they now suffer the blowback. It'll only get worse.

And as each disaster happens another thread will pop up and people with zero control over anything will argue. Even after we are long dead.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Banjo's post
14-06-2016, 10:13 PM
(14-06-2016 08:32 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 07:16 PM)Anjele Wrote:  And remarried with a child.

They revealed that part later on.

(14-06-2016 08:02 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  And then there are assholes like this!

From the Washington Post:

" 'Pastor refuses to mourn Orlando victims: ‘The tragedy is that more of them didn’t die’ "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts...didnt-die/

Was the asshole in Sacramento or a different new jackass?

I think it was the same asshole but I think there was one other pastor somewhere who was saying the same crap.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
14-06-2016, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 14-06-2016 11:01 PM by GirlyMan.)
I just watched Obama address this. The man expressed a gravitas that Trump don't even know that word means.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-06-2016, 11:56 PM
(14-06-2016 09:07 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 11:19 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  I wasn't speaking specifically about the reportage of this attack, but in general.

Here's information from Wiki for Fox, the highest-rated cable news outlet in America. And that same article points out the hubbub over the so-called "Ground Zero mosque" was largely fueled by media coverage which misrepresented the intent and even location of the community center.

I agree that the term is bruited about unfairly at times, but the fact is that the majority of Western Muslims don't support terrorism. Yet they are lumped in with the terrorists all the same by too many Americans. In those cases, it is fair to call Islamophobia what it is.

Thanks for the correction.
I don't know about you, but those numbers are very concerning to me. There are an estimated 3.3 million Muslim Americans currently living in the US. Now, according to that poll,

1% of them think that suicide bombings are often justified (33,000)
8% of them think that suicide bombings are sometimes justified (264,000)
5% of them think that suicide bombings are rarely justified (165,000)

That's 462,000 people who don't categorically rule out suicide bombings as wrong. However, it gets worse. The poll goes on to say that

2% of them view Al-Qaeda very favorably (66,000)
3% of them view Al-Qaeda somewhat favorably (99,000)

That's 165,000 American Muslims who have a favorable view of the radical Islamic terrorist organization which is responsible for the 9/11 attacks. There's no question that you're right about them being a minority, but it's a disturbingly large one. Shocking

Oh, they're concerning, all right -- I'm not blithe about it at all.

However, I don't think they justify the media bleating, especially from right-wing sources like Fox and the NYP. Nor do I think they justify abrogating the rights we here hold dear; nor do I think they justify treating all Muslims as terrorists, which is the clear implication of Trump's "ban all Muslim immigration" ... before he backpedalled on that.
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
15-06-2016, 08:47 AM
Let us all sit down and write up another thesis about those two famous characters from the Supernatural World – that big, evil God of the Old Testament and that wild and crazy Son of the New.

For the 1-2% of the members and readers here who might be interested, I thought Milo put it down quite nicely.

How many more innocent gays need to die before we admit that America, and the world, has an Islam problem?
I don’t mean a “radical Islam” problem or an “extremist Islam problem.”

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/06/12...d-orlando/
15-06-2016, 08:57 AM
(14-06-2016 10:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I just watched Obama address this. The man expressed a gravitas that Trump don't even know that word means.

Trump has the vocabulary of a 4th grader. He thinks at a 4th grade level too.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
15-06-2016, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 09:08 AM by RocketSurgeon76.)
(15-06-2016 08:47 AM)Walter Wrote:  Let us all sit down and write up another thesis about those two famous characters from the Supernatural World – that big, evil God of the Old Testament and that wild and crazy Son of the New.

For the 1-2% of the members and readers here who might be interested, I thought Milo put it down quite nicely.

How many more innocent gays need to die before we admit that America, and the world, has an Islam problem?

http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/06/12...d-orlando/

We don't have an "Islam problem" any more than we have a Christianity problem. That is, of course, the same problem: barbaric, brutal Iron Age philosophies of Patriarchal social control that continue to be passed down generationally. The difference lies in the amount of post-Enlightenment Humanism that has managed to compete with that meme, and thus moderate the behavior of its adherents.

What we really have is a clash of cultures. Islam is not really any worse than Christianity, as far as I can tell. I can point to verses in the Bible as bad as anything in the Qur'an. I can quote preachers that are as bad as anything any imam says. The basis for their bigotry is the same.

We currently have a "problem" with people shifting from non-Western cultures to Western countries, and not instantly adapting to the new cultures. In a generation or two, it will pass, and they will begin to assimilate... even in places like Iran, the members of the younger generations don't think like the asshole elders, by a wide margin. Teaching that Muslims are "a problem" just deepens the divide, alienates the members of the immigrant groups, and ensures continuing strife between them, and inflames/empowers the radicals among them.

Edit to Add: Oh, and screw you for referencing a guy who says our response is "limp wristed", a gay slur, while claiming to be worried about the gay community. We are fully aware of the danger imposed by radicals. We simply aren't willing to ignore the basic humanity of every member of an entire group of people because their culture encourages barbaric thinking by our standards. I say that calling for the rejection of that entire group because some of them might hurt us is cowardice, and entirely unpatriotic. Liberals are not stupid, nor weak. Conservatives who'd rather wall off their country and deny every principle that makes our Western societies great, simply because terrorists frighten them, are the ones who are Projecting their own faults/fears/weakness onto others.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
15-06-2016, 09:15 AM
(15-06-2016 08:57 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 10:26 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I just watched Obama address this. The man expressed a gravitas that Trump don't even know that word means.

Trump has the vocabulary of a 4th grader. He thinks at a 4th grade level too.

The literacy level of the average person is at about a sixth grade level. Speaking too far above them therefore misses a significant portion of the voting population. If keeping them from siding with Trump is Obama's objective, he'd be wise to choose insults that don't further alienate them. Even if he happens to be right.

'Murican Canadian
15-06-2016, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 15-06-2016 11:38 AM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(15-06-2016 08:47 AM)Walter Wrote:  How many more innocent gays need to die before we admit that America, and the world, has an Islam problem?

Having lived, as an American, in two different Muslim countries for a total of five years, I'm happy to say you don't know your ass from third base about the overwhelming majority of Muslims, who are kind and generous people in my experience.
15-06-2016, 11:12 AM
(15-06-2016 09:04 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  We currently have a "problem" with people shifting from non-Western cultures to Western countries, and not instantly adapting to the new cultures. In a generation or two, it will pass, and they will begin to assimilate... even in places like Iran, the members of the younger generations don't think like the asshole elders, by a wide margin.
Meaning, in 25 to 50 years? That's an awfully long time to have two different cultures clashing against each other.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]