Mass shootings every single day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-12-2012, 05:22 PM
RE: Mass shootings every single day!
(17-12-2012 05:14 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 05:02 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I don't believe anything but handguns and hunting rifles should be available.
Why handguns? Those were specifically made for killing humans. Most animals won't let you get close enough to be effective with a handgun - you'd be better off with a bow and arrow. Or a crossbow. Handguns don't have the stopping power to save you from the larger, dangerous animals that come close enough to eat you - don't think you'll take down a grizzly or a crocodile with a .38 special.

The entire idea behind handguns was to create a gun small enough for your pocket (though people quickly turned to holsters). Something you can easily carry everywhere you go, conceal if you need to, and use at fairly short range (short compared to most other projectile weapons). You know, like when you want to shoot other humans, say, in a classroom.

Sure, it's harder to fire off hundreds of rounds with a Beretta, but at 15 per mag and 3-4 mags in your pocket, you're still good for dozens of deaths if you can shoot halfway straight.

I'm not saying I'm for unrestricted access to all firearms. Nor am I for draconian gun control. But I am saying, I'd rather try to protect myself from a kid sneaking daddy's hunting rifle into the classroom than try to protect myself from a kid sneaking daddy's AK-47 into the classroom - one of those is much, much, much easier to see coming while there is still time to do something to prevent the bloodbath.
An AK-47 is not much smaller than most hunting rifles. A bit shorter, but bulkier.

There are handguns used for hunting as well; people hunt with revolvers firing rounds like .44 Magnum, .454 Cassull, and .500 S&W Magnum.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-12-2012, 06:00 PM
(17-12-2012 05:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 05:02 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I don't believe anything but handguns and hunting rifles should be available.
Define hunting rifle.
Hunting rifle:
[Image: Modern_Hunting_Rifle.jpg]

I demand extremely strict licences, mandatory background check and psychiatric evaluation, required annual firearm safety education, and rental-only.

Not a hunting rifle:

[Image: ar15_aimpointcompm4_clone.jpg]

Ban the weapon.

Hunting shotgun:
[Image: mossberg20500.jpg]

I demand extremely strict licences, mandatory background check and psychiatric evaluation, required annual firearm safety education, and rental-only.

Not a hunting shotgun:
[Image: Spas_12.jpg]

Ban the weapon.

I am trying to be reasonable and understand that most Americans seem to think that the amendments are perfect, and that the majority have a weapon fetish. I understand that. If I really had it my way, gun laws would be identical to Germany or England.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
17-12-2012, 06:04 PM
(17-12-2012 06:00 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 05:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  Define hunting rifle.
Hunting rifle:

Not a hunting rifle:

Ban the weapon.

Hunting shotgun:

Not a hunting shotgun:

Ban the weapon.

I am trying to be reasonable and understand that most Americans seem to think that the amendments are perfect, and that the majority have a weapon fetish. I understand that. If I really had it my way, gun laws would be identical to Germany or England.

The pictured hunting rifle is deadlier than the other. Same for the the pictured shotguns.

What are your criteria? Looks?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-12-2012, 06:06 PM
(17-12-2012 05:14 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  
Why handguns? Those were specifically made for killing humans. Most animals won't let you get close enough to be effective with a handgun - you'd be better off with a bow and arrow. Or a crossbow. Handguns don't have the stopping power to save you from the larger, dangerous animals that come close enough to eat you - don't think you'll take down a grizzly or a crocodile with a .38 special.

The entire idea behind handguns was to create a gun small enough for your pocket (though people quickly turned to holsters). Something you can easily carry everywhere you go, conceal if you need to, and use at fairly short range (short compared to most other projectile weapons). You know, like when you want to shoot other humans, say, in a classroom.

Sure, it's harder to fire off hundreds of rounds with a Beretta, but at 15 per mag and 3-4 mags in your pocket, you're still good for dozens of deaths if you can shoot halfway straight.

I'm not saying I'm for unrestricted access to all firearms. Nor am I for draconian gun control. But I am saying, I'd rather try to protect myself from a kid sneaking daddy's hunting rifle into the classroom than try to protect myself from a kid sneaking daddy's AK-47 into the classroom - one of those is much, much, much easier to see coming while there is still time to do something to prevent the bloodbath.
Try to convince a person who is reluctant to pass over their Spas-12 to pass over their precious .357 magnum.

17-12-2012, 06:06 PM
(17-12-2012 06:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 06:00 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Hunting rifle:

Not a hunting rifle:

Ban the weapon.

Hunting shotgun:

Not a hunting shotgun:

Ban the weapon.

The pictured hunting rifle is deadlier than the other. Same for the the pictured shotguns.

I am taking these pictures from wikipedia articles.

17-12-2012, 06:10 PM
Re: Mass shootings every single day!
The problem with your post is: hunting is not a right in the US but a privilege, while keeping firearms suited for defense of the homestead and homeland IS. BTW I hunt deer with my AR bc its the only rifle I own and is like a swiss army knife, its does everything.

The other problem is your basing your illogic on exotic appearance and not the firearms function. Something that gun grabbers with little practical understanding of firearms are guilty of.
17-12-2012, 06:13 PM
(17-12-2012 06:06 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 06:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  The pictured hunting rifle is deadlier than the other. Same for the the pictured shotguns.

I am taking these pictures from wikipedia articles.
Fine, but on what basis is one rifle ok and another isn't?
What are your criteria?

17-12-2012, 06:14 PM
(17-12-2012 06:10 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  The problem with your post is: hunting is not a right in the US but a privilege, while keeping firearms suited for defense of the homestead and homeland IS. BTW I hunt deer with my AR bc its the only rifle I own and is like a swiss army knife, its does everything.

The other problem is your basing your illogic on exotic appearance and not the firearms function. Something that gun grabbers with little practical understanding of firearms are guilty of.
The Spas 12 and AR 15 are both specifically designed to kill people. Ahem, I mean, defend yourself.

17-12-2012, 06:19 PM
(17-12-2012 06:13 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 06:06 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  I am taking these pictures from wikipedia articles.
Fine, but on what basis is one rifle ok and another isn't?
What are your criteria?
The articles I am reading describe the above weapons as more effective than a hunting firearm. I would say the Spas is more deadly than a Mossburg.

17-12-2012, 06:21 PM
(17-12-2012 06:14 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(17-12-2012 06:10 PM)TheBlackKnight Wrote:  The problem with your post is: hunting is not a right in the US but a privilege, while keeping firearms suited for defense of the homestead and homeland IS. BTW I hunt deer with my AR bc its the only rifle I own and is like a swiss army knife, its does everything.

The Spas 12 and AR 15 are both specifically designed to kill people. Ahem, I mean, defend yourself.

The AR-15 is a sport rifle based on a military design. Your conclusion is that is is specifically designed to kill people.

It is designed to be an accurate, controllable semi-automatic rifle. It is an excellent varmint rifle.