Mass shootings every single day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 09:43 PM
RE: Mass shootings every single day!
According to the latest reports, his .223 rifle (a Bushmaster, likely an AR-15) was not used in the shootings, he left it in the trunk of his car. He committed the killings using a 9mm Glock and 9mm SIG Sauer.

So he wasn't even using anything like military weapons. US military does not use Glocks. Coast Guard and Navy use SIG P229s, but those are .40 S&W, not 9mm. So no military weapons.

Pfaugh, you'll still want to ban them. "Military style" -- pfft.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2012, 10:16 PM
All I gotta say is how is this possible when he was surrounded by so many shoes in a country that has baseball as its national sport?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
14-12-2012, 10:31 PM
(14-12-2012 09:32 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(14-12-2012 08:42 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  How about a simple restriction on ammunition.
Apart from zombie apocalypse please tell me in what realistic situation you are going to need over 6,000 rounds of 7.62x39mm?
A simple restriction of say 20 of these bullets may curve the severity of shootings like this without out right banning guns.

An hour on the range can easily burn through 100-200 rounds or more. I once spent a day on the range with my dad and we fired 500 rounds of .22LR, 40 rounds of .30-06, and almost a hundred rounds of 9x18mm. One five hour session. Most of our sessions were 2 hours, and we still burned through 100-300 rounds.

A couple dozen rounds is not enough for practice or self-defense or sporting purposes. Heck, 20 rounds won't even fill a standard capacity magazine for many sporting guns. 20 rounds of 9mm would fill one Glock 17 mag and give you 3 rounds left over. That's not enough to practice with.

Even a number in the hundreds doesn't make any sense, because then you're not limiting the lethality of a psychopath anymore.

Some people buy thousands of rounds of ammunition because it's cheaper in bulk;
Others buy in the thousands because the price of ammunition is always going up and they want to save money in the future;
Others buy thousands of rounds in case of a nuclear war or other scenario where government control falls apart, and a gun and ammunition might save their life;
Still others are afraid of a ban, so they want to buy their ammunition now before the gov'mint comes and shuts down the gun stores;

Psychopaths don't buy thousands of rounds. They buy about the same amount as any legitimate shooter, they just use it on living targets instead of paper or cans.

Keep trying.
Key word being at the range.
So simply allow for more amounts of ammunition at the range. ie: You can buy 100rounds that day and use them at the range.

I don't believe "saving a few bob" is a sufficient enough argument for the mass stocking of ammunition.
Nor is nuclear war because the probability of that is extremely low, let alone the fact that there is am army for a reason...

There is no reason to have hundreds or thousands of rounds of ammunition. It's that simple.

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
14-12-2012, 10:43 PM
what about an activation slot? The gun won't work unless a key is put into it.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

14-12-2012, 10:45 PM
(14-12-2012 10:43 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  what about an activation slot? The gun won't work unless a key is put into it.
What problem does that solve?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-12-2012, 10:51 PM
I dunno

14-12-2012, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 14-12-2012 10:55 PM by Phaedrus.)
So you want gun ranges to store tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition? Of every type? For every bloke who comes in and wants to shoot?

.17 Hornady
.22 Short
.22LR
.22 Magnum
.25ACP
.32 Colt
.32 S&W
.32ACP
.38 Special
.38 Colt
.38 S&W
.380ACP
5.7x28mm
7.62x25mm
9x18mm Makarov
9x19mm Parabellum
9x23mm Largo
9mm Steyr
9mm Mauser
.40 S&W
10mm Auto
.45 Colt
.45ACP
.45 GAP
.357 SIG
.357 Magnum
.44 Special
.44 Colt
.44 Magnum
.454 Cassull
.460 S&W Magnum
.50 AE
.500 S&W Magnum

That's just the popular handgun rounds I can name off the top of my head. There are three times as many rifle rounds, and hundreds of combinations of shotgun gauge and shot type. You want gun ranges to keep a stock of *all* of those? And that's not even mentioning the different varieties and loadings of ammo; FMJ, JHP, overpressure, subsonic, various mass to powder ratios and bullet designs for different applications... You have to practice with what you shoot every day, you can't practice with crappy Federal 9mm on the range then shoot +P+ hollowpoints for self defense, the recoil and shooting characteristics will all be different. You can shoot the crappy ammo some of the time, but you need consistent practice with what you intend to shoot with in real life as well. More than 20 rounds worth.

Try again.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
14-12-2012, 10:55 PM
are there limits on guns allowed at ranges? Like could I bring an awp to the range?

14-12-2012, 10:57 PM
(14-12-2012 10:43 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  what about an activation slot? The gun won't work unless a key is put into it.
They have that. It does nothing but get people killed or hurt when they try to shoot to defend themselves and it doesn't work because they can't find the key, or they drop it, or they're too slow to unlock the gun...

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
14-12-2012, 11:00 PM
(14-12-2012 10:55 PM)Xinoftruden Wrote:  are there limits on guns allowed at ranges? Like could I bring an awp to the range?
Indoor ranges usually prohibit centerfire rifle cartridges, because they're too powerful for the backing or targets, and too loud for indoors. Outdoor ranges usually allow pretty much anything civilian legal. Some forbid full automatic weapons or bumpfire weapons, or suppressors, etc. because they don't want to deal with lawyers.

Ranges always have safety rules and restrictions, to various degrees.

An AWP is not significantly different to a hunting rifle. It basically is a hunting rifle, built for the military, for military application.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.