Mass shootings every single day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2012, 06:00 AM
RE: Mass shootings every single day!
(18-12-2012 05:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  Please define "assault weapon".

The type that were apparently banned before the ban on them expired in 2004. Presumably the same type of weapon that pro-gun senator Joe Manchin was referring to when he said "I don't know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle".

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-12-2012, 06:14 AM
(18-12-2012 06:00 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 05:51 AM)Chas Wrote:  Please define "assault weapon".

The type that were apparently banned before the ban on them expired in 2004. Presumably the same type of weapon that pro-gun senator Joe Manchin was referring to when he said "I don't know anyone in the sporting or hunting arena that goes out with an assault rifle".
That's not a definition. And "assault rifle" has an actual definition. People don't hunt with assault rifles.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-12-2012, 06:19 AM
(18-12-2012 06:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's not a definition. And "assault rifle" has an actual definition. People don't hunt with assault rifles.

OK, I'll revise my earlier statement if it really bothers you that much.

I think that weapons that were banned under the law that expired in 2004 should be banned again. I can't comment more specifically because I'm from a country where we don't idolise machines designed to cause wanton death or think that we need an abundance of them in day to day life.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
[+] 2 users Like Hughsie's post
18-12-2012, 06:54 AM
(18-12-2012 06:19 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 06:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  That's not a definition. And "assault rifle" has an actual definition. People don't hunt with assault rifles.

OK, I'll revise my earlier statement if it really bothers you that much.

I think that weapons that were banned under the law that expired in 2004 should be banned again. I can't comment more specifically because I'm from a country where we don't idolise machines designed to cause wanton death or think that we need an abundance of them in day to day life.

The firearms that were banned were ones that looked scary. They weren't more dangerous or deadly.

And the ban had absolutely no effect on crime or mortality.

So, why should we ban them again? Consider

18-12-2012, 07:00 AM
(18-12-2012 06:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  So, why should we ban them again? Consider

Because someone stood there with a handgun simply doesn't have the killing power of someone stood there with an assault rifle.

Why should they be allowed, other than so insecure men can try and compensate for having a small penis I mean? What do they bring to society that can outweigh making psychotic murderers more efficient at killing?

Best
Worst
18-12-2012, 07:04 AM
(18-12-2012 07:00 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 06:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  So, why should we ban them again? Consider

Because someone stood there with a handgun simply doesn't have the killing power of someone stood there with an assault rifle.

Why should they be allowed, other than so insecure men can try and compensate for having a small penis I mean? What do they bring to society that can outweigh making psychotic murderers more efficient at killing?
An assault rifle has been used in how many crimes? I think you mean "assault weapon" for which there is no definition.

18-12-2012, 07:07 AM
(18-12-2012 07:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  An assault rifle has been used in how many crimes? I think you mean "assault weapon" for which there is no definition.

Just because I can't name a crime in which an assault rifle has been used (though I highly doubt there has never been one used in a crime) doesn't mean one couldn't be used.

Besides, you ignored my question. Why should they be allowed, other than so insecure men can try and compensate for having a small penis I mean? What do they bring to society that can outweigh making psychotic murderers more efficient at killing?

Also, trying to trip me up by demonstrating better knowledge of firearm terminology doesn't make what you say more valid.

Best
Worst
18-12-2012, 07:15 AM
(18-12-2012 07:07 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 07:04 AM)Chas Wrote:  An assault rifle has been used in how many crimes? I think you mean "assault weapon" for which there is no definition.

Just because I can't name a crime in which an assault rifle has been used (though I highly doubt there has never been one used in a crime) doesn't mean one couldn't be used.

Besides, you ignored my question. Why should they be allowed, other than so insecure men can try and compensate for having a small penis I mean? What do they bring to society that can outweigh making psychotic murderers more efficient at killing?

Also, trying to trip me up by demonstrating better knowledge of firearm terminology doesn't make what you say more valid.
If we are going to have a discussion about types of weapons, you need to have basic knowledge of what we are discussing. If you want to ban all firearms, then I suppose this doesn't matter.

As far as actual assault rifles (medium caliber, selective fire), these are highly regulated and difficult to obtain. They have not been used in any of the highly-publicized crimes.

So, I ask again, what weapons do you want banned, and why?

18-12-2012, 07:23 AM
(18-12-2012 07:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  If we are going to have a discussion about types of weapons, you need to have basic knowledge of what we are discussing. If you want to ban all firearms, then I suppose this doesn't matter.

As far as actual assault rifles (medium caliber, selective fire), these are highly regulated and difficult to obtain. They have not been used in any of the highly-publicized crimes.

I don't have much interest in researching these things but I'll say I'd ban things that were illegal pre-2004 and the sorts of weapons even your average American would admit are not necessary in society.

Keep handguns legal for home and personal defence and keep hunting rifles and stuff like that legal for sport.

Best
Worst
18-12-2012, 07:29 AM
(18-12-2012 07:23 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 07:15 AM)Chas Wrote:  If we are going to have a discussion about types of weapons, you need to have basic knowledge of what we are discussing. If you want to ban all firearms, then I suppose this doesn't matter.

I don't have much interest in researching these things but I'll say I'd ban things that were illegal pre-2004 and the sorts of weapons even your average American would admit are not necessary in society.

Keep handguns legal for home and personal defence and keep hunting rifles and stuff like that legal for sport.
Then your argument has no merit. It is not based on fact, just emotion and misinformation.