Mass shootings every single day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-12-2012, 03:09 PM
RE: Mass shootings every single day!
(18-12-2012 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm all for rational, enforceable laws. I'm against re-implementing the "assault weapons ban" that expired in 2004 because it was an irrational, ineffective law.
We're on the same page then. I'm not for banning guns in the US, because as I've said, there are far too many guns circulating already for that to make any difference. One of the things I promote are much stricter requirements for acquiring a gun. It's absolutely ridiculous how easy it is to get a firearm at this point.

(18-12-2012 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are calling differing state laws "loopholes". There are 50 states, each has its own laws.
In some states, private sales of firearms are not regulated. That is the loophole.

The anti-gun people make up shit like "assault weapons" and "gun-show loophole" instead of having a fact-based, rational discussion. The gun nuts do the same thing. Let's not let the crazies drive the discussion.
What term would you use to describe the possibility of exploiting the unregulated gun show sales to avoid having to run a background check? I think "loop hole" is a fitting one.

(18-12-2012 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  To have a useful discussion, let's discuss what the problems are and how to address them constructively.

Some facts about the U.S. are:
  • There are nearly 300,000,000 firearms in private hands.
  • The right to possess firearms is Constitutionally protected.
  • The U.S. has the worst health care system among industrialized nations, with mental health services severely limited.
  • The drug laws create violence.
  • The income inequities create violence.
  • There are 50 states and a federal government with differing laws on health care, drugs, firearms, social services.
The problems aren't simple, the solutions aren't simple.
I agree. Establishing reasonable gun laws is just one of many steps necessary to improve the current situation.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
18-12-2012, 06:28 PM
(18-12-2012 03:09 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  I'm all for rational, enforceable laws. I'm against re-implementing the "assault weapons ban" that expired in 2004 because it was an irrational, ineffective law.
We're on the same page then. I'm not for banning guns in the US, because as I've said, there are far too many guns circulating already for that to make any difference. One of the things I promote are much stricter requirements for acquiring a gun. It's absolutely ridiculous how easy it is to get a firearm at this point.

(18-12-2012 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  You are calling differing state laws "loopholes". There are 50 states, each has its own laws.
In some states, private sales of firearms are not regulated. That is the loophole.

The anti-gun people make up shit like "assault weapons" and "gun-show loophole" instead of having a fact-based, rational discussion. The gun nuts do the same thing. Let's not let the crazies drive the discussion.
What term would you use to describe the possibility of exploiting the unregulated gun show sales to avoid having to run a background check? I think "loop hole" is a fitting one.

(18-12-2012 02:41 PM)Chas Wrote:  To have a useful discussion, let's discuss what the problems are and how to address them constructively.

Some facts about the U.S. are:
  • There are nearly 300,000,000 firearms in private hands.
  • The right to possess firearms is Constitutionally protected.
  • The U.S. has the worst health care system among industrialized nations, with mental health services severely limited.
  • The drug laws create violence.
  • The income inequities create violence.
  • There are 50 states and a federal government with differing laws on health care, drugs, firearms, social services.
The problems aren't simple, the solutions aren't simple.
I agree. Establishing reasonable gun laws is just one of many steps necessary to improve the current situation.
Maybe I wasn't clear. There isn't a gun show loophole. Gun shows follow state laws. There are 50 of those.

You can't get away with shit in Massachusetts. New Hampshire is looser, but licensed dealers must and will do the check.

Some states allow private (not dealer or retail) sales without restrictions.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-12-2012, 02:11 AM
Have most of you seen this video by TheYoungTurks?

19-12-2012, 04:38 AM
I often wanted to shoot people when I went to Mass. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-12-2012, 06:43 AM
(18-12-2012 06:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe I wasn't clear. There isn't a gun show loophole. Gun shows follow state laws. There are 50 of those.

You can't get away with shit in Massachusetts. New Hampshire is looser, but licensed dealers must and will do the check.

Gun show loopholes, then? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
19-12-2012, 07:41 AM
(19-12-2012 06:43 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(18-12-2012 06:28 PM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe I wasn't clear. There isn't a gun show loophole. Gun shows follow state laws. There are 50 of those.

Gun show loopholes, then? Consider

No. There is no "gun show" loophole.
The laws of many states allow private unregulated private transfer; no gun show required.
All licensed firearms dealers are required to follow federal law and do the background check.

This is scare rhetoric, like "assault weapon".

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2012, 04:22 AM
Don't believe guns are the problem?
I would agree but...

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Paci...sday-rumor

23 children stabbed, which shows bitches be crazy no matter what tools they have available, BUT 23 children stabbed, every single one survived.
Yet hours later on the other side of the world, different tool, same crazy (well different crazy, but crazy is crazy), 20 children dead.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
20-12-2012, 06:37 AM
(20-12-2012 04:22 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Don't believe guns are the problem?
I would agree but...

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Asia-Paci...sday-rumor

23 children stabbed, which shows bitches be crazy no matter what tools they have available, BUT 23 children stabbed, every single one survived.
Yet hours later on the other side of the world, different tool, same crazy (well different crazy, but crazy is crazy), 20 children dead.

What a dumb remark. He either was not aiming to kill them in the first place or he just assumed they were dead without actually completing the task. People do survive gunshot wounds all the time. I am sure the crazy that killed 27 probably shot everyone multiple times. The one that did the stabbing, probably only stabbed them one time each.
20-12-2012, 07:44 AM
dumb remark?
says the guy who just said the guy that went into a school and stabbed 23 children clearly wasn't trying hard enough? that the guy who went of a stabbing frenzy stabbing little innocent children clearly had no intention of killing anyone?

I think you should just stick to guarding abandoned buildings Birdman, it requires far less mental strain.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
20-12-2012, 09:46 AM
He was disturbed too, glad he didn't have a gun.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post