Mass shootings every single day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2012, 11:52 AM
RE: Mass shootings every single day!
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/20/opinio...l?hp&_r=1&

Here are some of the numbers to peruse.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-12-2012, 11:54 AM
(20-12-2012 06:37 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  What a dumb remark. He either was not aiming to kill them in the first place or he just assumed they were dead without actually completing the task. People do survive gunshot wounds all the time. I am sure the crazy that killed 27 probably shot everyone multiple times. The one that did the stabbing, probably only stabbed them one time each.

Please tell me you are not insinuating that a knife has as much killing potential as a gun?

That would be creationist stupid. Would also mean armed forces all over the world were seriously over-complicating war.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 4 users Like Hughsie's post
20-12-2012, 02:20 PM
Well in a lot of new fps a knife kills in one hit whereas guns can take a full clip at times. So clearly the knife is a better option.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
20-12-2012, 02:59 PM
The difference between Guns:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/nyregi...wanted=all

And knives:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/world/...china.html

My brother and father are gun nuts and I go shooting with them all the time but there is no doubt in my mind those weapons are obviously made for the intent to kill. I can literally make anything into a weapon but some things are much better fit in doing so.

I'd take a man attacking me with a knife any day over a gun. Let him have a damn sword if he wishes too much better chances of survival against a simple handgun. It is a reason swords have become obsolete in warfare. Guns are much easier to kill people with.

Of course I have no idea what to do on this issue. I use my father's gun group as the example. They all seem religious for firearms and although they seem to pray to those damn things and seem to have erotic sensations for them(I'm joking but the ridiculous obsession with them is beyond me). Very rarely do I see them locked or kept away and I see them much more loaded with bullets than anything else. Of course banning guns won't eliminate those that exist on our streets I just hope gun owners see this and make sure their arms will not be a part of a tragedy like what happened Friday. I know I made sure all mine were locked after the incident.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
20-12-2012, 03:34 PM
I've told one personal story on here that had some minor relevance but I feel the need to share one more, so please indulge me. I should also start by saying that I had never considered this particular event in regards to the debate on gun rights until today.

1997 was the worst Christmas ever. I hate that Christmas. It was a bleak and dark point in my families history. That holiday season, my youngest aunt (in her early 30's) passed away. She was shot and killed by her husband.

The point made in general by most people in this debate is that people trying to kill people with guns = bad. But the fact that people with guns in their houses being injured by them is some kind of conspiracy.

My aunt was killed, by accident, by her husband, with his hunting rifle.

It was not anything considered by anyone to be an "assault weapon" or an "assault rifle." It didn't take him being "over the edge" or inebriated and it didn't take some violent altercation to bring it about.

You can say it was an accident. You can say that it was a careless moment when a terrible thing happened. You can even say that better gun laws would not have helped.

Accidents should never claim lives. Even most car "accidents" involve someone being at fault. An accident is dropping a glass.

It was a careless moment, but it was a careless moment that cost someone their life. Better laws may have done nothing, but then again, they may have made just enough of a difference to mean that my aunt would still be alive.

Guns kill. They are designed to kill. Sometimes they kill intentionally. Sometimes they do not. And it is not always a matter of keeping them out of the hands of those who shouldn't have them. It is about legislation that would also help reduce the accidental deaths too.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
20-12-2012, 03:35 PM
America:
Where you can purchase a fully-automatic assault rifle without a background check.

Cool story, bro. Drinking Beverage
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2012, 03:36 PM
(20-12-2012 03:35 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  America:
Where you can purchase a fully-automatic assault rifle without a background check.
And a pizza gets to your house quicker than an ambulance.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
20-12-2012, 04:04 PM
I am late to this thread, so please forgive me if my point has already been made.

If
we removed every legal firearm from every law abiding citizen in the
land, it would do nothing to prevent more tragedies of that magnitude. Firearms, albeit
perhaps crude ones, can be hand made. There are bombs, poisons, and
fire. Firearms can be 3D printed, or illegally modified. Rational, kind
people may be unable to completely anticipate the thoughts of madmen and
psychopaths. Laws affect law abiding people.
20-12-2012, 04:26 PM
So we should just get rid of all the laws then?

—Thomas Henry Huxley
20-12-2012, 05:06 PM
(20-12-2012 03:35 PM)Refuting_Ignorance_Every_Day Wrote:  America:
No, this is completely false.

To refute your complete ignorance this day, buying an automatic weapon requires a full FBI background check for a federal firearms license.
It's difficult and expensive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user