Mass shootings every single day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 02:33 AM
RE: Mass shootings every single day!
(15-12-2012 01:56 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Most of Europe: Handguns banned. Most semi-automatic guns banned. Ubiquitous gun registries. Ownership highly restricted, takes months or years to get a license, then more months to get permission to purchase a gun under that license. Bans on anything not explicitly designed for hunting. Bans on certain calibers.

Yep, and we're a better place for it.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Hughsie's post
15-12-2012, 02:44 AM
(15-12-2012 02:33 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 01:56 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Most of Europe: Handguns banned. Most semi-automatic guns banned. Ubiquitous gun registries. Ownership highly restricted, takes months or years to get a license, then more months to get permission to purchase a gun under that license. Bans on anything not explicitly designed for hunting. Bans on certain calibers.

Yep, and we're a better place for it.

Maybe. Doesn't mean the US would be. Europe has always had weapon restrictions, since the 12th century when peasants were forbidden from owning swords. Most of Europe never had significant gun ownership.

There are millions of guns in the US already. Any law banning guns would grandfather millions; trying to confiscate the guns already owned would result in thousands dead from rednecks shooting the police trying to confiscate the guns they're being shot with.

With millions of guns already in the US, banning additional guns will not have any beneficial effect for at least a century. Possibly longer. Guns last a long time, they don't break down after a couple years' use.

Banning guns in the US is not practical and would not result in the situation you have in Europe, because you never had many guns in the first place.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
15-12-2012, 03:21 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 04:13 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(15-12-2012 02:44 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 02:33 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Yep, and we're a better place for it.

Maybe. Doesn't mean the US would be. Europe has always had weapon restrictions, since the 12th century when peasants were forbidden from owning swords. Most of Europe never had significant gun ownership.

There are millions of guns in the US already. Any law banning guns would grandfather millions; trying to confiscate the guns already owned would result in thousands dead from rednecks shooting the police trying to confiscate the guns they're being shot with.

With millions of guns already in the US, banning additional guns will not have any beneficial effect for at least a century. Possibly longer. Guns last a long time, they don't break down after a couple years' use.

Banning guns in the US is not practical and would not result in the situation you have in Europe, because you never had many guns in the first place.
Which is why mass killing will continue. There is no reason why the clips for repeating weapons should be available, though, and they used to be banned, (under Brady) until the political cronies of the NRA got that reversed. The only way to be safe in the US now is ubiquitous metal detection...absolutely everywhere. The kid today got let in the school as his mother worked there, and they knew him. If he had had to go through a metal detector, nothing would have happened, and he would not even have tried it, if there was a treat of arrest. There was a mass killing in Australia a few years ago, at a school, and after that they radically curtailed automatic weapons, and it seems to have worked.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

15-12-2012, 03:55 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 04:00 AM by Dom.)
Having been born and raised in Europe and living n the states most of my life, I agree with Phaedrus. Banning guns here would just not work for a lot of reasons.

1. There would be millions of guns underground, owned by law abiding citizens. One would have to go house to house, search and seize. People wouldn't stand for it.

2. All these guns would now make it into the hands of criminals. Criminals would go all out to stockpile. The population would be unarmed, the criminals would be armed.

3. The US is based on rebellion by the people. The reason so many people are so intent on keeping guns in the hands of THE PEOPLE is that it is hard for a government to tyrannize an armed population. An unarmed population is a herd of sheep. You have to trust your government to accept it.

4. People living in rural areas need guns for self defense - we have mountain lions (cougars), bears and all kinds of animals that are capable and willing to kill humans roaming the country side. Farmers and millions of rural dwellers need guns to protect themselves and their live stock.

It's just a different ball game. But, bottom line, the people would not give up their guns voluntarily. I have a gun and I know how to use it. Should someone break into my house and my dog could not neutralize him, I would defend myself with my gun. I refuse to give my life so an intruder can live. And you are living with the reality that an intruder will be armed. You better know your shit or you will die in such a situation. I would not turn in my gun.

If I went back to living in Europe, I would not want or need a gun. It's an unarmed population. Guns are not necessary.

So, a ban of guns in the US would not be enforceable without outright home search and seizures, and even then there would be plenty unregistered guns kept back.

Imposing a gun ban at this stage in the US is useless to say the least and lethal for many innocents. The death toll caused by guns would rise exponentially if guns were removed from citizens. Armed criminals would have all the advantages.

That brings you to other aspects of controlling crazy snipers.

Why are they doing this? Are they really psychopaths? IMO they are people who are ready to commit suicide but haven't left an imprint on the world. They are nobodies, nothings, and they don't want to go out being what depresses them so much. So they create a big bang and die knowing that they will be talked about, broadcast on TV, famous. Maybe they can even make a big enough bang to go down in history. They will be remembered by many for the rest of their lives. They are now important people.

The same as a terrorist, these people feel that in a way they will be heroes, and not the insignificant, rejected, nameless nobody they have been all their lives.

So is there anything that can be done about that? I don't see what....

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-12-2012, 06:23 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 06:45 AM by FZUMedia.)
Most mass murders have been done with home-made explosives -- not guns. If you ban guns you have to ban gasoline statistically speaking. You guys don't get it... If I was going to kill multitudes of people, I already don't give a shit about cost to reward ratio. So putting a law on me isn't going to change my intelligence to acquire a gun.

You can't solve complex social issues with force. This should be an admission of failure of American society & schooling. Really stunning, things like this are tragic.
15-12-2012, 07:31 AM
On the banning guns I imagine it wouldn't be one day those guns you own are legal, the next they're not.
It'll be restriction on buying more/new guns as well as ammunition (making existing guns hard to use).
Then perhaps incentive programs like trade in your gun for cash or whatever.

It wouldn't solve the problem over night but give it a while and gun numbers would reduce over time.

Like there was a mention that pheasants in middle ages Europe weren't aloud to have swords.
This is true that some countries banned citizens from having weapons, but this first had to initiated and before this was initiated they did have weapons. The governments or Monarchies of the time just did as I suggested and offer incentive that hand in your sword for cash. Then implement fines for walking around with a sword or whatever.

It is doable.
BUT it wont happen because the USA is extremely unwilling to change anything. It's gonna be your downfall (unwilling to change, not the gun numbers) I swear it.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
15-12-2012, 08:13 AM
(15-12-2012 07:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  On the banning guns I imagine it wouldn't be one day those guns you own are legal, the next they're not.
It'll be restriction on buying more/new guns as well as ammunition (making existing guns hard to use).
Then perhaps incentive programs like trade in your gun for cash or whatever.

It wouldn't solve the problem over night but give it a while and gun numbers would reduce over time.

Like there was a mention that pheasants in middle ages Europe weren't aloud to have swords.
This is true that some countries banned citizens from having weapons, but this first had to initiated and before this was initiated they did have weapons. The governments or Monarchies of the time just did as I suggested and offer incentive that hand in your sword for cash. Then implement fines for walking around with a sword or whatever.

It is doable.
BUT it wont happen because the USA is extremely unwilling to change anything. It's gonna be your downfall (unwilling to change, not the gun numbers) I swear it.

Cash for guns has been done in the States, extensively in some states and communities. It drives up the price of guns and people keep them as investment. People start hoarding and stock piling. We do not live in the middle ages, and most people are not starving and value the gun more than money that would buy a few meals.

Other than search and seizure, you could pay informants well and throw gun owners in jail.That would get people up in arms allright (pun intended).

To many groups of US citizens, guns embody freedom. Ain't nobody gonna come and take over your country and kill your family and take your land as long as everyone in the neighborhood has guns. It makes it near impossible to put boots on the ground and invade. The US would have to be either nuked or infiltrated in huge numbers, not likely.

It's not a failure to act by government, it's that the people do not agree. And because they are armed, you can't force them.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
15-12-2012, 08:17 AM
So now it comes out...just as I figured...the shooter had a history of mental illness. Families aren't always able or equipped to deal effectively with mentally ill family members and many of the programs have been cut in the last several years.

This is NOT a gun issue.

And I am sick of hearing that the problem is that God is no longer in our schools. I feel quite certain when the first bullet flew, there were people praying. God didn't show up and he wouldn't have if they would have stood the kids up for forced prayer after the first bell.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
15-12-2012, 10:58 AM
(14-12-2012 02:40 PM)I and I Wrote:  (rhetorical question coming)

I wonder where people would get the idea that killing people would solve things, or where would someone get the idea that in order to get what one wants they have to fuck other people over.

Ooooh, big screen tv's are on sale for the after christmas sale.

It is the problem of society. Every day it seems that our government makes some new law screwing over the tax payer and helping out the rich. Some super rich people got that way by fucking people other. They buy up a company, sell it off piece by piece and move all the jobs over-seas. The world we grow up in seems to benefit those that will stab anyone in the back and sell their own mother to make a buck. This is where that mentality comes from. Our leaders examples.
15-12-2012, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 12:19 PM by Vosur.)
(15-12-2012 02:44 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 02:33 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Yep, and we're a better place for it.
Maybe.

[Image: lEM5y.png]

Maybe, huh? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post