Mass shootings every single day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2012, 11:32 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 11:37 PM by fstratzero.)
RE: Mass shootings every single day!
(15-12-2012 11:05 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 10:04 PM)Chas Wrote:  Of course it does, but so what? It doesn't make people appreciably safer.
Consider the context of this thread. Stricter gun laws seem to reduce the number of mass shootings significantly. In Germany, for example, there have been ~7 [1] [2] [3] mass shootings in the last 13 years. The US, in comparison, has had 29+ [1] [2] [3] of them in the same time period.

(15-12-2012 10:32 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Chas does have a point. The intention of all these gun regulations is to make people safer, right? But if it doesn't make people much safer, is it worth the trouble?
As far as my personal opinion goes, I think it's already too late to make any changes in the US. There are far too many guns circulating for stricter gun control to make much of a difference at this point. And it's not only that, it appears that the general public and the NRA are not in favor of more severe gun laws in the first place.
I agree that owning a gun legally speaking is a privilege like driving is, and you need to prove that you will be responsible with a weapon before being able to own one.

Not only for society but for your own safety.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
15-12-2012, 11:34 PM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 11:38 PM by Vosur.)
(15-12-2012 11:16 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Germany also has 1/4th the population of the US. For a rough "mass shootings per capita" multiply Germany's by 4 to get a comparable number. You get 28 Germany, 29 US. Huh, isn't that funny.
According to some sources, the number in the USA is even higher, especially if we would consider the shootings that happened in the second half of the 20th century. Anyway, that's besides the point. You're assuming that the number of mass shootings is proportional to the number of citizens living in a country, which is demonstrably false. If that were true, China would have had roughly 120 mass shootings in the last decade, which it didn't. You can make the same comparison with other countries and see that it simply doesn't work that way. There is no correlation between the size of a countries population and the number of mass shootings it has had in the past.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
15-12-2012, 11:39 PM
It takes thousands of rounds to achieve true competency with a firearm, so any thing to restrict ammo availability or price is like advocating for more(#)wreckless gun owners.

Pro shooters, like Eric G from France, have shot into the millions of rounds.
[Image: ehc1.jpg]

How about some statistics on how many violent deaths PER FIREARM owned?
16-12-2012, 12:33 AM
(15-12-2012 12:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wait wait wait wait, back the crazy train up. How do you NOT have a firearm license system in place??
Do you just give guns out to anyone with the money on the price tag?

I don't think that any country allows you to just hand over guns to anyone with the money for it, I do however feel that this is the way it should be. If you ban guns completely, you will probably have people out there that can and will make their own. Not to mention those that resort to other weapons. I did a bit of research once on lasers that you can buy online, no permits required. I won't provide links, because it might give some people ideas. Some of the small hand held lasers are powerful enough to cut through certain metals. If someone planned it out and bought maybe 3 of them per year and hid them. Each time ordering a new one, using the excuse that the last one broke. Then build an outer casing that uses mirrors to direct all at the same target, how long do you think it would take for them to have an unregistered weapon that not only leaves no trace but can kill a human instantly and can even bypass body armor that is designed to stop bullets? Now, my research was for a book I was planning to write and still might. The bottom line is that if you take weapons away from the law abiding citizens, you put them into the hands of criminals.
16-12-2012, 03:15 AM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2012 03:22 AM by Logica Humano.)
(15-12-2012 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If someone is determined to kill a bunch of people at the same time there are ways other than guns. Remember the OK City bombing? Or 9-11?

Take guns away and killers will find another way to kill.

Most gun owners never kill a person...the key here is the person, not so much the weapon.
Bombs are much more difficult to obtain than a firearm, and I'd love to watch the same person attempt it with a fucking steak knife. As I have said previously, Anjele, it is one of the two required fixes.

(15-12-2012 06:55 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 05:34 PM)Logica Humano Wrote:  European economics is failing because of their haste in Eurozone recruitment. It is not necessarily because of poor federal bank's involvement. Crony capitalism is the major U.S economic issue.
More specifically corporate welfare. The american people are the one's that vote for corporate welfare and general welfare and they are surprised when there is shit value for money?. Don't be mistaken about EU, we are essentially EUSSR regarding the insane regulations. Ultimately we both need to stand up to our governments, but if you think EU is an example of good economics then I suggest you read on.
Corporate welfare is an issue, but I would not go as far as you in the wild delusion that it equates to extremities. You seem to agree with Ayn Rand, and if since you do, I refuse to argue further with you.

[Image: 4833fa13.jpg]
Poonjab
16-12-2012, 04:10 AM
Re: Mass shootings every single day!
Bombs difficult to obtain? Wanna bet? Nice stuff like TNT or RDX, sure, ok, but trust me. A bomb is not hard to make.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
16-12-2012, 04:23 AM
(16-12-2012 04:10 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Bombs difficult to obtain? Wanna bet? Nice stuff like TNT or RDX, sure, ok, but trust me. A bomb is not hard to make.

Absolutely, especially since most of us drive bombs around every day suspended from the rear of the car. I am of course referring to the gas tank just full of a highly flamable liquid that puts out explosive fumes and is cheap to get. If you have a container of fuel and a rag, you have the makings of a bomb.
16-12-2012, 05:29 AM
(16-12-2012 04:10 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Bombs difficult to obtain? Wanna bet? Nice stuff like TNT or RDX, sure, ok, but trust me. A bomb is not hard to make.
I said they are much more difficult to obtain than a firearm.

Poonjab
16-12-2012, 07:04 AM
(16-12-2012 03:15 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(15-12-2012 06:10 PM)Anjele Wrote:  If someone is determined to kill a bunch of people at the same time there are ways other than guns. Remember the OK City bombing? Or 9-11?

Take guns away and killers will find another way to kill.

Most gun owners never kill a person...the key here is the person, not so much the weapon.
Bombs are much more difficult to obtain than a firearm, and I'd love to watch the same person attempt it with a fucking steak knife. As I have said previously, Anjele, it is one of the two required fixes.

(15-12-2012 06:55 PM)FZUMedia Wrote:  More specifically corporate welfare. The american people are the one's that vote for corporate welfare and general welfare and they are surprised when there is shit value for money?. Don't be mistaken about EU, we are essentially EUSSR regarding the insane regulations. Ultimately we both need to stand up to our governments, but if you think EU is an example of good economics then I suggest you read on.
Corporate welfare is an issue, but I would not go as far as you in the wild delusion that it equates to extremities. You seem to agree with Ayn Rand, and if since you do, I refuse to argue further with you.
Lol, okay? well that escalated quickly...
16-12-2012, 09:36 AM
(16-12-2012 07:04 AM)FZUMedia Wrote:  
(16-12-2012 03:15 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  Bombs are much more difficult to obtain than a firearm, and I'd love to watch the same person attempt it with a fucking steak knife. As I have said previously, Anjele, it is one of the two required fixes.

Lol, okay? well that escalated quickly...
No, I prevented a never-ending shit fest because people like Ayn Rand are impossible to reason with.

Poonjab