Mass shootings every single day!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-12-2012, 11:06 PM
RE: Mass shootings every single day!
ty phaedrus.

what do you think should be done?

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-12-2012, 11:22 PM
If it weren't going to be used as a stepping stone to further restrictions, which it undoubtedly would...

I think a licensing system would be appropriate, where you must meet the following requirements:
A. Be a citizen of the USA
B. Be 18 years of age or over
C. Have not committed a violent felony in the last 20 years, or have been in prison for such an offense in the last five years
D. Pass a safety and gun basics test, akin to a driving test
E. Pass a psychological evaluation to ensure you do not fall within the medical definition of a psychotic or sociopath

The license (and tests) to be renewed every 5 years.

The license must be shown, or the license number input online, to purchase a firearm or firearm parts or ammunition.

Underage shooters may handle and fire weapons in the supervision of a licensed adult.

Selling a firearm to someone without a license, especially secondhand, would be a strongly prosecuted offense. It should be required to keep sales receipts for all transactions. However, there should not be a state or federal gun registration.

ATF regulated items, like fully automatic weapons, suppressors, and such should still be legal to own with the same restrictions as now (background check, tax stamp) plus a higher grade of license showing that you are qualified to handle these items safely (much like there are licenses for commercial vehicles, above and beyond regular drivers licenses). Bumpfire stocks should be considered machinegun parts. Manufacture and importation of all of these ATF-regulated items should be allowed and not restricted or prohibited for licensed gun companies.

There should be no restriction on calibre (except sub-.500, as now), action type (no bans on "AK style" or "AR style" guns), the type of sights, magazines, or ergonomic features, like forward grips or barrel shrouds or laser pointers. Keep current federal restrictions on short barreled rifles and shotguns.

That system would be acceptable to me and, I think, cut down somewhat on the killing sprees. Psychological evaluations *are* accurate, contrary to popular opinion, and work even when a psychopath or sociopath tries to lie or hide it. Prevent mentally insane/dangerous people from getting their hands on guns, require people to understand basic gun safety before they can purchase one, and not have any silly regulations on ergonomic features that don't make anyone safer.

The problem is that people who hate guns would try to use that system to make guns inaccessible. If the anti-gun groups would be willing to accept this compromise then fewer people would die.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
14-12-2012, 11:27 PM
well... that was very well done. I agree with phaedrus.

When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity.

15-12-2012, 12:03 AM
The problem is that many of the people pushing for greater gun restrictions are not actually pushing for things that would reduce violent crime or prevent atrocities like this. They don't push to make things safer, they push to ban whatever they can get away with banning. Look at what the Assault Weapons Ban in the 90s actually did. Did it ban assault rifles? NO. Those are ATF items and already regulated, and were not affected by the AWB. The AWB made it illegal to own a semi-automatic weapon that had too many features. Scope or red dot sight for easier aiming? Vertical foregrip for greater comfort when shooting? Barrel shroud so you can touch your barrel after shooting a couple dozen rounds without burning yourself? Adjustable stock? Too many of those features and your gun became an "assault weapon" and was considered illegal. Heck, a perfectly legal gun could become illegal just by inserting a magazine (of the same capacity) that's put together differently.

None of the things mentioned in the Assault Weapons Ban actually made the guns more deadly. They didn't shoot faster. They didn't shoot more. There weren't more bullets per bullet. They weren't more accurate. They just were more comfortable or convenient to shoot... and also looked scarier.

The people who oppose guns in the US are not interested in a compromise. Every time there's been an opportunity to implement smart gun regulation, which would reduce crime and prevent killing sprees, they have instead chosen to ban as many guns as possible, even if those guns are not used in sprees or crime.

And because a compromise with these people would not be sincere, I will not offer one. So my plan will not be put forward, because it would be used as a stepping stone to banning more guns, even if the system as described worked just fine at reducing gun crime and sprees.

A friend in Canada:

Quote:(10:00:10 PM) Dave: Up here, we've seen what happens when you compromise.
(10:01:02 PM) Dave: First we had a ban on automatics. Small. Then we had the FAC - which basically signified you'd passed a test and written an exam.
(10:01:24 PM) Dave: Then we had C68 which meant that you had to have a license to simply own...
(10:01:40 PM) Dave: Then came the registry.
(10:02:04 PM) Dave: Then came the ATT - authorization to transport - where you had to obtain permission (that could take up to half a year to process) to simply take your gun home from the store or to the range.
(10:02:19 PM) Dave: Then came the magazine caps and the by-name bans.
(10:03:10 PM) Dave: In 2004 the politicians tried to ban handguns. So... that's about it in a nutshell.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
15-12-2012, 12:07 AM
In Canada we just paintball. Shooting at real people, but without the death. Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Xinoftruden's post
15-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Wait wait wait wait, back the crazy train up. How do you NOT have a firearm license system in place??
Do you just give guns out to anyone with the money on the price tag?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
15-12-2012, 12:16 AM
i think so

15-12-2012, 12:25 AM
(15-12-2012 12:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Wait wait wait wait, back the crazy train up. How do you NOT have a firearm license system in place??
Do you just give guns out to anyone with the money on the price tag?

Yes. Some states have a few more restrictions... But even in California, I can walk into a gun store, pick a rifle, fill out some paperwork, swipe my card, and leave with it and a box of ammo.

US gun lovers saw what the license system in Canada led to, and have since flipped their shit at the slightest mention of it.

If it stopped at a license system, that would be fine. But it won't. So it won't happen.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
15-12-2012, 01:51 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't stop at a license system.
That is the model I thought most countries use.

That argument is used for everything "first it's this, nek minute it's that"

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
15-12-2012, 01:56 AM (This post was last modified: 15-12-2012 02:01 AM by Phaedrus.)
Nope. It does go beyond that. Not even debatable.

Canada: National gun registry. Need permission from the government to transport your gun from the store to your house, or from your house to the range; takes months to get permission at times. Whole families of guns banned by name. If suspected of any crime, even a misdemeanor, EVEN IF NOT CHARGED, EVEN IF ACQUITTED, your license can be revoked and can take years to be reinstated
Most of Europe: Handguns banned. Most semi-automatic guns banned. Ubiquitous gun registries. Ownership highly restricted, takes months or years to get a license, then more months to get permission to purchase a gun under that license. Bans on anything not explicitly designed for hunting. Bans on certain calibers.
Taiwan: All guns banned outright, without explicit permission from the government. Permission reserved for government officials, billionaires, and their bodyguards.
Australia: National gun registry. Takes months to get a license, most guns banned by name. Must be a member of a "sporting club" to own a handgun, small number of officially recognized clubs, spaced hundreds of miles apart. Must attend competitions regularly to retain club membership.

Those are the ones I know offhand.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.