Mass stabbing in Houston

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2013, 09:52 PM
RE: Mass stabbing in Houston
The issue is people. Knives, guns, bombs, etc. don't run off on their own and hurt people.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Not enough people died...really?

Body count is what matters? Oh, FFS.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
09-04-2013, 09:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2013 09:57 PM by PoolBoyG.)
(09-04-2013 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 09:45 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  How many people died? Oh, just wounded? Ah, I see.

Now how many would have died if guns were involved?

The issue is removing from civilized society weapons that are designed to slaughter as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time possible.

And if a student or professor had been carrying a gun, there would be fewer injuries.

Forgive me if I can't recognize satire, because many gun advocates say that exact thing. That some how, MORE guns, civilians shooting every which way would be the best choice.

A student or professor sees someone with a gun and draws, and another student or professor sees their gun and draws, and so on. The psychology of people who advocate for this kind of world is terrifying. Amazing how the US persists to lag behind every other first world country.
[+] 4 users Like PoolBoyG's post
09-04-2013, 10:00 PM
(09-04-2013 09:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The issue is people. Knives, guns, bombs, etc. don't run off on their own and hurt people.

Jesus fucking Christ.

We can't prevent people totally from causing harm, but we can greatly reduce their CAPABILITIES to cause harm or kill. A man wielding a knife is light years behind a man wielding any sort of firearm.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
09-04-2013, 10:28 PM
(09-04-2013 10:00 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 09:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The issue is people. Knives, guns, bombs, etc. don't run off on their own and hurt people.

Jesus fucking Christ.

We can't prevent people totally from causing harm, but we can greatly reduce their CAPABILITIES to cause harm or kill. A man wielding a knife is light years behind a man wielding any sort of firearm.

The answer to the problem of human violence is not more threats of violence. People don't go on killing sprees because guns are available, they go on killing sprees because they have been injured mentally.

If we truly care about the victims of crime and abuse, we will focus on removing the reasons people are violent, not their choice of weaponry.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
09-04-2013, 10:29 PM
(09-04-2013 09:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 09:20 PM)Anjele Wrote:  My point is that people are the ones that commit violence and they can be quite creative...we can't outlaw everything that can be used as a weapon but we could go back to actually treating those with severe mental illness and violent tendencies.

I understand this. My point is that society needs to realize that whackos with knives, while dangerous, pale in comparison to whackos with highly lethal weapons and the amount of damage they can inflict.

Ahh, but a whacko with a gun can be shot much easier than a whacko on a rampage in an SUV (and I don't deal with idiots with guns EVERYDAY like traffic). Carry and conceal might not mean anything when the whacko is safely ensconsed in a 1500+ lb., 250 HP, pile of metal. I hear where Anjele's coming from. An Oklahoma City Bomb sized explosive goes off outside the school's cafeteria, & kills hundreds = they'll outlaw fertilizers? Where does it stop?

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
10-04-2013, 06:23 AM
(09-04-2013 09:54 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  And if a student or professor had been carrying a gun, there would be fewer injuries.

Forgive me if I can't recognize satire, because many gun advocates say that exact thing. That some how, MORE guns, civilians shooting every which way would be the best choice.

A student or professor sees someone with a gun and draws, and another student or professor sees their gun and draws, and so on. The psychology of people who advocate for this kind of world is terrifying. Amazing how the US persists to lag behind every other first world country.

Your knee jerk reaction shows you have not put any thought into what would actually happen in a situation like that.

Do you really think that people are going to start hauling out guns and just blast away?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
10-04-2013, 06:38 AM
(10-04-2013 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...
Do you really think that people are going to start hauling out guns and just blast away?

That always seems to be what happens in those American documentaries by Tarantino that we see over here.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
10-04-2013, 06:50 AM
(10-04-2013 06:38 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(10-04-2013 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  ...

That always seems to be what happens in those American documentaries by Tarantino that we see over here.

Drinking Beverage

Ah, yes. Tarantino - the highly acclaimed documentary filmmaker.Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
10-04-2013, 07:47 AM
As an update to the story...the suspect told authorities that he had been planning to do something like this for years. Even back in elementary school he was thinking about what it would be like to stab people to death. He is 21 now. Obviously something wrong here and it's not the weapon choice.

It's a mental health and violence issue.

Two people remain hospitalized in serious condition.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
10-04-2013, 07:58 AM
Didn't we learn anything from "No Country For Old Men"?

ANYTHING can become a weapon.

Even air.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post