Mass stabbing in Houston

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2013, 10:30 AM
RE: Mass stabbing in Houston
(10-04-2013 06:23 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 09:54 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Forgive me if I can't recognize satire, because many gun advocates say that exact thing. That some how, MORE guns, civilians shooting every which way would be the best choice.

A student or professor sees someone with a gun and draws, and another student or professor sees their gun and draws, and so on. The psychology of people who advocate for this kind of world is terrifying. Amazing how the US persists to lag behind every other first world country.

Your knee jerk reaction shows you have not put any thought into what would actually happen in a situation like that.

Do you really think that people are going to start hauling out guns and just blast away?

I agree that we need to treat mental health, and it should be the biggest issue. However, giving a person a gun for defense in a public arena needs to be thoroughly discussed IMO. Knowing when it is appropriate, and being accurate and calm under duress requires training, most often. Putting a gun in a professor's hands? Will he keep it locked up? In the classroom where it could be stolen? On his person, while trying to teach? How will it affect his teaching? Will he have to be on guard and distrustful of students while trying to focus on teaching? I think there are too many variable's to overcome. It doesn't mean it couldn't work, but I think there might be better alternatives.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2013, 06:59 PM
Someone was killed here with a knife and a hammer. I agree with the original post. It's people that kill people.

[Image: i-Jn5RHZ7-S.jpg]
10-04-2013, 07:02 PM
(10-04-2013 10:30 AM)Dirtnapper324 Wrote:  I agree that we need to treat mental health, and it should be the biggest issue. However, giving a person a gun for defense in a public arena needs to be thoroughly discussed IMO. Knowing when it is appropriate, and being accurate and calm under duress requires training, most often. Putting a gun in a professor's hands? Will he keep it locked up? In the classroom where it could be stolen? On his person, while trying to teach? How will it affect his teaching? Will he have to be on guard and distrustful of students while trying to focus on teaching? I think there are too many variable's to overcome. It doesn't mean it couldn't work, but I think there might be better alternatives.

People can't be trained to be calm. You can train a psychopath on proper gun use and then you'll have a psychopath who knows how to shoot a gun.

"Putting a gun in a professor's hands? Will he keep it locked up? In the classroom where it could be stolen? On his person, while trying to teach? How will it affect his teaching?"

Why would wearing a sidearm affect a person's ability to talk about what they are trained to talk about? Do bras affect a female teacher's ability to teach?

"Will he have to be on guard and distrustful of students while trying to focus on teaching?"

They already are. Perhaps knowing he could protect himself or his students would set his mind at ease.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2013, 07:36 PM
[attachment=1287]

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
10-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Re: RE: Mass stabbing in Houston
(10-04-2013 07:02 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  People can't be trained to be calm.

This is completely wrong.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
10-04-2013, 09:14 PM
Re: RE: Mass stabbing in Houston
(09-04-2013 09:54 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 09:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  And if a student or professor had been carrying a gun, there would be fewer injuries.

Forgive me if I can't recognize satire, because many gun advocates say that exact thing. That some how, MORE guns, civilians shooting every which way would be the best choice.

A student or professor sees someone with a gun and draws, and another student or professor sees their gun and draws, and so on. The psychology of people who advocate for this kind of world is terrifying. Amazing how the US persists to lag behind every other first world country.

Too bad your little dream scenario is just that. You want to much tv and movies.

(09-04-2013 10:00 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  
(09-04-2013 09:52 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The issue is people. Knives, guns, bombs, etc. don't run off on their own and hurt people.

Jesus fucking Christ.

Not enough people died...really?

Body count is what matters? Oh, FFS.

We can't prevent people totally from causing harm, but we can greatly reduce their CAPABILITIES to cause harm or kill. A man wielding a knife is light years behind a man wielding any sort of firearm.

That's really not the case as there are soo many variables and each case is different. Knifes are always on, batteries don't run out and don't run dry of ammo. Someone who is calm in their ways and knows basic anatomy could have been running to the next group of passive sheepish victims to kill them while the Virgina Tech shooter has expended his magazines and was manually HAND JAMMING loose rounds while his yet to be shot victims watched him.

Also consider this fuck used a exacto knife, which is a pretty horrible choice and he still managed what he did.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBlackKnight's post
10-04-2013, 09:26 PM
And the suspect said that he would have kept stabbing but his (expletive) blade broke.

He wasn't done with what he had been planning for a long time...since elementary school. That's freakin' scary.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
11-04-2013, 02:41 AM
(09-04-2013 09:05 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Will there now be groups trying to ban knife ownership? Will we have to just tear at our meat with our teeth since knives are potential weapons? I do believe he used a box cutter...so will we know have to do away with those?

Or, will people finally realize that the weapon is not the problem...the problem is with whacked out people.

I'm starting a group to try to ban spoons because spoons make people fat.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?