Mass. woman can wear spaghetti strainer in license photo

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2015, 05:08 PM
RE: Mass. woman can wear spaghetti strainer in license photo
(18-11-2015 09:41 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  This is one area where I don't generally side with my fellow non-believers. It makes us look stupid. Of all the ways religion intrudes into public life is the wearing of religious headgear a problem we really need to fight? If Muslim women where a hijab or Jewish men a yarmulke in their license photos, who are they hurting? Don't get me wrong, I see they point. If they can do it, we should be able to as well. But I think there are more productive uses of our time that might do a better job of representing us to the larger public. Charitable work for example.

I kind of felt like that when gays came out in San Francisco in the 70s. Lots of serious protests and demonstrations, but you also had parades with people in costumes showing off all parts of the anatomy in one way or another. A lot of people felt offended by that and so I kind of felt it was counter productive. But then - it added a fun note to the whole thing, and in retrospect, it didn't hurt the cause at all.

I see atheism as being about in the same stage of societal evolution today as being gay was then. I see no harm in poking a little fun here and there.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2015, 11:16 AM
RE: Mass. woman can wear spaghetti strainer in license photo
I can understand why people are wearing colanders for their official photos, I'm just not sure it provokes the kind of deep thought about state-endorsed religion among the believers as we'd like to think it does.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply