Massive leak exposes how the wealthy and powerful hide their money

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2016, 08:27 PM
Massive leak exposes how the wealthy and powerful hide their money
I'm thinking this is gonna be big news:

sacramento bee
Quote:Massive leak exposes how the wealthy and powerful hide their money
A massive leak of documents has blown open a window on the vast, murky world of shell companies, providing an extraordinary look at how the wealthy and powerful conceal their money.

Twelve current and former world leaders maintain offshore shell companies. Close friends of Russian leader Vladimir Putin have funneled as much as $2 billion through banks and offshore companies.

Those exposed in the leak include the prime ministers of Iceland and Pakistan, an alleged bagman for Syrian President Bashar Assad, a close pal of Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto and companies linked to the family of Chinese President Xi Jinping.

Add to those the monarchs of Saudi Arabia and Morocco, enough Middle Eastern royalty to fill a palace, honchos in the troubled body known as FIFA that controls international soccer and 29 billionaires featured in Forbes Magazine’s list of the world’s 500 richest people.

Also mentioned are 61 relatives and associates of current country leaders, and another 128 current or former politicians and public officials.

There is nothing in the story yet about US politicians, by name anyway. But with 2.6 TERABYTES of data to comb through... I'm betting that a few names will pop up.

The gap between the haves and the have-nots gets easier to explain, once the have-nots realize that the haves aren't playing by the same rules.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2016, 08:29 PM
RE: Massive leak exposes how the wealthy and powerful hide their money
I wonder if Hilly and Billy are in there. Consider
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
03-04-2016, 08:42 PM
I imagine that there are a lot of US politicians sweating right now...

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
04-04-2016, 05:35 AM
(03-04-2016 08:42 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I imagine that there are a lot of US politicians sweating right now...

breaking news: politicians almost unanimously vote for bill that protects dark money and evil secrets they are already guilty of

and as usual Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sander's opposes it
[+] 2 users Like Ace's post
04-04-2016, 05:40 AM
Don't worry -- they're raising minimum wage to 15 bucks an hour in California and New York.

We'll all be rich soon..............................

Anyone who thinks "minimum wage" is how to "level the playing field" - probably believes the above....

And strangely -- they'd probably oppose "maximum wage"....

Go figure.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
04-04-2016, 05:49 AM
I do think raising the minimum wage will help individuals. I'm sure it won't level the playing field.

Not only is the field tilted, but the wealthy elite are playing on an entirely different field that the commoners only guessed at.

Apparently the information regarding American ties is forthcoming.

04-04-2016, 08:18 AM
(03-04-2016 08:42 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I imagine that there are a lot of US politicians sweating right now...

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
04-04-2016, 11:40 AM
I head it on the news yesterday. Some of the biggest banks in Denmark has been helping customers with that. I was in no way surprised. I can help but chuckle at the thought of them being bailed out after the crash. The western world is truly a shining light.

*Shakes head*
04-04-2016, 12:16 PM
(04-04-2016 11:40 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I head it on the news yesterday. Some of the biggest banks in Denmark has been helping customers with that. I was in no way surprised. I can help but chuckle at the thought of them being bailed out after the crash. The western world is truly a shining light.

*Shakes head*

I don't think this is confined to the West.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-04-2016, 12:21 PM
(04-04-2016 12:16 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 11:40 AM)Nishi Karano Kaze Wrote:  I head it on the news yesterday. Some of the biggest banks in Denmark has been helping customers with that. I was in no way surprised. I can help but chuckle at the thought of them being bailed out after the crash. The western world is truly a shining light.

*Shakes head*

I don't think this is confined to the West.

Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
I agree. But we in the West usually behave as if we are something to admire. The pinnacle of civilization so to speak.