Master? (a thread for paleoclimate questions and stable isotopes)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2012, 12:17 PM
Some of you may have noticed my limited activity over the last few months, the reason has primarily been my focus on my research and my son. Today I successfully defended my masters thesis at Syracuse and will be beginning my PhD at the University of Connecticut in just a few weeks. My research has been on using stable isotopes of carbon and oxygen to reconstruct paleoclimates from the Permian of SE Australia and Tasmania. I have not yet published anything but perhaps this thread could be used for any future questions about paleoclimate or stable isotopes in general?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
08-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Fuckin A, dude. Congrats!!!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
RE: Master? (a thread for paleoclimate questions and stable isotopes)
Congrats! Good luck in CT. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
08-08-2012, 01:45 PM
Gracias mi amigos.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
08-08-2012, 01:53 PM
(08-08-2012 12:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Some of you may have noticed my limited activity over the last few months, the reason has primarily been my focus on my research and my son. Today I successfully defended my masters thesis at Syracuse and will be beginning my PhD at the University of Connecticut in just a few weeks. My research has been on using stable isotopes of carbon and oxygen to reconstruct paleoclimates from the Permian of SE Australia and Tasmania. I have not yet published anything but perhaps this thread could be used for any future questions about paleoclimate or stable isotopes in general?

Congratulations! I would like to hear more about your studies and I'll try to come up with intelligent questions. Smartass

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
09-08-2012, 12:34 AM
(08-08-2012 12:17 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Some of you may have noticed my limited activity over the last few months, the reason has primarily been my focus on my research and my son. Today I successfully defended my masters thesis at Syracuse and will be beginning my PhD at the University of Connecticut in just a few weeks. My research has been on using stable isotopes of carbon and oxygen to reconstruct paleoclimates from the Permian of SE Australia and Tasmania. I have not yet published anything but perhaps this thread could be used for any future questions about paleoclimate or stable isotopes in general?

So what research did you do on your son? Tongue

Oh, and congrats Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
10-08-2012, 09:31 AM
(08-08-2012 01:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Congratulations! I would like to hear more about your studies and I'll try to come up with intelligent questions. Smartass

My research was to take specimens of a bivalve from the Permian (http://paleodb.org/cgi-bin/bridge.pl?a=c...al_user=1) and to section it in half so as to expose the growth lines within the umbo (the thickened area of the shell near the hinge) and to sample them at a high-resolution using what is basically a dentist's drill hooked up to a computer. Each sample of carbonate from the shell is then sent off to a mass-spec so as to figure out the amount of O18 vs O16 and C13 vs C12. The ratio of O18 to O16 is temperature dependent, so knowing that means I can reconstruct seasonal temperatures throughout the ontogeny of the organism.

There are a *few* other complications within that, but that is the jist of it.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
10-08-2012, 09:43 AM
You'll make a good tool of the Devil with all of these science-y sounding things that you're making up.Thumbsup

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
10-08-2012, 10:37 AM
Goddam beardy, you are one smart dude.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
10-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Congratulations! And way to jump right in there on the PhD... by the time your boy starts school, he'll get to say: My Daddy is a Doctor of Science. Smile

(10-08-2012 09:31 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  My research was to take specimens of a bivalve from the Permian (http://paleodb.org/cgi-bin/bridge.pl?a=c...al_user=1) and to section it in half so as to expose the growth lines within the umbo (the thickened area of the shell near the hinge) and to sample them at a high-resolution using what is basically a dentist's drill hooked up to a computer. Each sample of carbonate from the shell is then sent off to a mass-spec so as to figure out the amount of O18 vs O16 and C13 vs C12. The ratio of O18 to O16 is temperature dependent, so knowing that means I can reconstruct seasonal temperatures throughout the ontogeny of the organism.

There are a *few* other complications within that, but that is the jist of it.

This is very cool! Ok, it's cool mainly because I actually understand it. Wink
So... how many of these little clammy dudes were you dealing with? Probably buckets full; damn - you must have been up to your ass in oysters!

Hmm... Consider I'm thinking you'll be needing some really cool mollusk tee shirt.

No one is a real scientist without a way cool tee shirt.... it's proof. Thumbsup

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post