Materialist Bias?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2013, 02:08 PM
RE: Materialist Bias?
Some theists sometimes complain about "material bias" or "philosophical materialism" or "methodological materialism".
It's merely an attempt to criticise ignoring "supernatural" causes.
It's a twist because they put the focus on "material". When really the focus is on that which can be objectively observed and measured.

So when they say "material bias" what is really be criticised is that our epistemology (our method for gaining knowledge) is based on objective evidence rather than allowing for unsupported belief and faith.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Stevil's post
27-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Translation from batshitspeak: "You have got me hands down, and now I will attempt to baffle you with bullshi -- OH LOOK SHINY THINGS!!!!"

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
27-12-2013, 08:32 PM
You and your observational reality bias.
You and your "naturalistic" view of nature.

You think you're so much better than the billions of us for which fantasy is regular part of our lives.

How dare you have a materialistic bias and then try to tell me what is real and what isn't.

Your opinion about reality is only an opinion. Your facts mean nothing. Fantasy is the only way to determine truth.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
27-12-2013, 08:48 PM
If it makes you feel any better, superstitious buddhists use that same crap when they are cornered, too.

Which fact has some interesting ramifications....Big Grin

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
27-12-2013, 08:58 PM
(27-12-2013 02:08 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Some theists sometimes complain about "material bias" or "philosophical materialism" or "methodological materialism".
It's merely an attempt to criticise ignoring "supernatural" causes.
It's a twist because they put the focus on "material". When really the focus is on that which can be objectively observed and measured.

So when they say "material bias" what is really be criticised is that our epistemology (our method for gaining knowledge) is based on objective evidence rather than allowing for unsupported belief and faith.

That's kind of what I figured, although, I wanted to actually make a separate thread to see if Alpha would defend what he started to say elsewhere.
28-12-2013, 09:35 AM
(27-12-2013 08:58 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  That's kind of what I figured, although, I wanted to actually make a separate thread to see if Alpha would defend what he started to say elsewhere.

They never do. They just spit it then quit it.

8000 years before Jesus, the Egyptian god Horus said, "I am the way, the truth, the life."
28-12-2013, 10:03 AM
I'll ask him via PM.
29-12-2013, 03:49 PM
As it's been pointed out, materialism is simply rejecting the idea that anything supernatural exists, based on the lack of evidence. But, we are ready accept the supernatural if we could be shown evidence.

Inherent in criticizing materialism is the assertion that the supernatural does exist. Let those that criticize materialism present their evidence of the supernatural.
[+] 2 users Like anonymous66's post
29-12-2013, 05:32 PM
It seems that when arguing for a material bias he issuing a complaint against rationalism. I am not an irrationalist, my need for sanity forbids it. I do not understand this sort of demand to yield credence and respectability to insanity and irrationality.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
29-12-2013, 06:03 PM
I'm kinda into velvet right now?

Is that strange?

Nothing against cotton or wool or anything but velvet has a certain velvetiness to it.

Dodgy

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post