Materialist Bias?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2013, 10:14 AM
RE: Materialist Bias?
(30-12-2013 08:47 AM)alpha male Wrote:  The existence of a Pegasus has no effect on me, so there's no reason for me to actively consider it.
That wasn't so hard, was it now? As it turns out, I think the same about your God. Yes

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
30-12-2013, 10:15 AM
(30-12-2013 09:57 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  You would a priori dismiss this claim as a joke,
No, I would a priori dismiss his statement as being a claim.
30-12-2013, 10:32 AM
(30-12-2013 10:15 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 09:57 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 08:47 AM)alpha male Wrote:  I'd likely think you're joking.
Quote:What would it take for you to believe it?
You could fly it in front of me.
You would a priori dismiss this claim as a joke, and if pressed you would demand evidence?
Why?

Take a deep breath. Re-read what you just said, and tell me again: Why would you a priori dismiss his statement as a joke, and then when pressed demand evidence to support his claim if he wants you to accept his claim?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 2 users Like Hafnof's post
30-12-2013, 10:58 AM
(30-12-2013 10:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 10:15 AM)alpha male Wrote:  No, I would a priori dismiss his statement as being a claim.

Take a deep breath. Re-read what you just said, and tell me again: Why would you a priori dismiss his statement as a joke, and then when pressed demand evidence to support his claim if he wants you to accept his claim?

Where I'm from we call that checkmate, Hafnof --- well done you! But prepare for the word salad headed your way.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
30-12-2013, 12:39 PM
(30-12-2013 07:23 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(29-12-2013 09:02 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  [Image: fixed.gif]
Likewise...you're now on ignore. Smile

Run, Rabbit, run!

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
30-12-2013, 12:41 PM
(30-12-2013 08:17 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 07:28 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  I love when people need the public attention of announcing their *Ignore* process. Yanno - if you really want to ignore someone - well - ya just ignore them.

Hint........... IGNORE
Yes, because everyone has to do things the way you would do it. You are also now on ignore, as I see you needed the public attention of insulting me in this thread before I even came into it. Bye-bye! Yes

omegabitch is going to soon run out of people to talk to. Big Grin

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
30-12-2013, 12:46 PM
(30-12-2013 10:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Take a deep breath.
Why?
Quote:Re-read what you just said,
OK. It demonstrates an important point - author intent. Sometimes Jesus is compared to IPU, FSM or Harry potter. The IMO most glaring difference is that the authors of the latter three didn't intend for people to believe these were actual beings, while the authors of the NT did.
Quote:and tell me again: Why would you a priori dismiss his statement as a joke,
Because I've never heard of someone riding to work on a Pegasus.
Quote:and then when pressed demand evidence to support his claim if he wants you to accept his claim?
I haven't demanded evidence. As I said, the matter makes no difference to me. People claim to see UFOs and bigfoots and fairies and all sorts of things. I don't demand evidence from any of them as I don't really care.
30-12-2013, 12:48 PM (This post was last modified: 30-12-2013 01:24 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
(30-12-2013 10:15 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 09:57 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  You would a priori dismiss this claim as a joke,

That's not what you said. You said, "I'd likely think you're joking."

That is not "a priori dismiss[ing] his statement as a claim" (which would be fallacious to do anyway, as you have not examined his claim or asked for evidence), that is "a priori dismiss[ing] his claim as a joke".

HOWEVER, your demand for convincing evidence -- to see his Pegasus with your own eyes:

(30-12-2013 08:47 AM)alpha male Wrote:  

-- would be be precisely the proper course of action. As it is for us when you make your wild claims about your own fairytale deity.

Check, and Mate.

30-12-2013, 12:59 PM
(30-12-2013 12:46 PM)alpha male Wrote:  OK. It demonstrates an important point - author intent. Sometimes Jesus is compared to IPU, FSM or Harry potter. The IMO most glaring difference is that the authors of the latter three didn't intend for people to believe these were actual beings, while the authors of the NT did.

And how do you know that?

For what we know, all these stories could be fiction intended to entertain some bored roman citizen. Like Superman or pirates from the caribbean.

I mean, you have all the ingredients of a Hollywood movie. A hero from an exotic location. The hero is described as very young or adult. Instead of cryptonite you have sin. For the first 3/4 of the story everything looks ok. Towards the end, everything looks to turn for the worst. And then, 5 minutes before the end, you have the glorious happy end.

Ciao

- viole
30-12-2013, 01:03 PM
(30-12-2013 12:46 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(30-12-2013 10:32 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Take a deep breath.
Why?
Quote:Re-read what you just said,
OK. It demonstrates an important point - author intent. Sometimes Jesus is compared to IPU, FSM or Harry potter. The IMO most glaring difference is that the authors of the latter three didn't intend for people to believe these were actual beings, while the authors of the NT did.

The proponents of the Pegasus claim intended that people believe that it is an actual being. Check.

Quote:
Quote:and tell me again: Why would you a priori dismiss his statement as a joke,

But indeed you have. RobbiePants in fact has told you about his having done it several times now. And of course, the quran famously tells us that HoMoHammed rode one to the stars or to go trolling the nurseries for some Fresh, or something.
Check.
Quote:
Quote:and then when pressed demand evidence to support his claim if he wants you to accept his claim?
I haven't demanded evidence.

Oh, but you DID! You said you wanted to see one!:
(30-12-2013 08:47 AM)alpha male Wrote:  

Just like we want to see your fairytale deity. See how that works?

Check.

Quote: As I said, the matter makes no difference to me. People claim to see UFOs and bigfoots and fairies and all sorts of things.

So you have heard these claims often as well. But you just said:

Quote:

And since you HAVE heard these claims -- just like you have heard the claims of people riding Pegasi -- you cannot safely dismiss them a priori, under your theory.

BUT you can dismiss their extraordinary claim for lack of convincing evidence. Just like we can dismiss your extraordinary claim of a fairytale deity for lack of convincing evidence.

Check. And Mate.

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post