Math Disaproving God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Math Disaproving God
At work earlier today a coworker said that there is a math equation that proves that God doesen't exist. Do you all know anything about this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2010, 02:39 PM
RE: Math Disaproving God
No, and I find it highly unlikely. See if he can give you a source for this.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
07-06-2010, 03:24 PM

God = not real

There's a math equation for you.

Although I once came across the argument since everything that exists in our universe is made of energy matter (or yet unknown forms of dark matter and dark energy). All these substances are bound to the laws of physics. If God it to be real, then he must thus be bound to the laws of physics. That would make his omnipotence impossible. However, the easy counter to that is that God created these laws and all this matter and energy so he is impervious to them.
Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2010, 05:29 PM
I've heard the transcendentalists argument for god, which basically says the opposite. Logic exists and is objective. Since logic is not physical, it proves there are things that are supernatural. And then that little dance(ironically not logical) continues until god is proven. Math is largely intertwined with logic. As for a formula disproving god, I'm doubtful. There are formulas used to calculate how likely it is that our world formed exactly the way it did, and that sometimes, again, used to try and prove god exists. Perhaps you misheard?

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
07-06-2010, 06:03 PM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2010 07:21 PM by omega21.)
Yeah I may have misheard. Perhaps my friend actually meant that using both math and logic proves god is not real. That by combining math with logic and science God can be disaproven. I looked all over the internet for a while and could not find any reliable sources concerning a math equation all by itself disaproving God. I will ask this person again tommorow.
08-06-2010, 06:29 AM

Maths is a language without content. It can verify what is true, but its proofs are only within it self. And any complete system of maths always has statements that can't be proved or disproved.

Science is about the observable and measurable. If God is already infinite and omnipotent, then He's not observable and not measurable.
08-06-2010, 07:32 AM
I'm wondering. I'm fairly certain that the signature line "Mistakes are the portals of discovery" denotes a bot, but what are they selling?

Also, byronlewis, if you're not a bot, feel free to be offended and make fun of me for being so paranoid.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
08-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Define logic. If you mean human reasoning, then that is simply the product of human existence, and the arrangement of neurons in our brains, and thus composed of matter and energy. Without intelligent life to interpret it, does logic still exist?
08-06-2010, 07:24 PM
That is pretty much my definition of logic, I mean I just think of it broadly as our ability to reason, interpret and think.
Also, I asked my coworker again today, basically my friend said that a professor at our college mentioned something about it. Since we were in the middle of working on something I didn't really want to start a long conversation on it. I think that there is much more to it then a simple equation as we already discussed on this thread. That the equation being talked about is simply a small part of something sceince or physics related.
25-02-2013, 03:26 AM
Why would you need an equation to prove something doesn't exist when there's no evidence that thing exists in the first place? Your parameters would be infinite and your variables both infinite and unknown.

Unfortunately, this is evidence that the top-down approach of religion is seeping into atheism. There is absolutely no reason to accept the existence of god as a premise for any deduction until the existence of god is actually proven. Until then, any argument that pre-assumes god exists is circular reasoning.

Just follow the logical principle lex parsimoniae. You start any logical argument with the simplest evidence - what is already known an provable. You build your argument on what is already proven to exist so that you can reach a definitive, accurate conclusion. If you build your argument in reverse (from no evidence - i.e. the religious, top-down approach) then you are admitting the possibility of an infinite amount of things, including both god and no god at the same time. That is logically redundant and therefore should never be considered.

Science, logic and how they destroy religious arguments @ http://scepticalprophet.wordpress.com/

To surrender to ignorance and call it God has always been premature, and it remains premature today.
- Isaac Asimov.
Faith means not wanting to know what is true.
- Friedrich Nietzsche