Math Disaproving God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2013, 03:43 AM
RE: Math Disaproving God
(07-06-2010 02:06 PM)omega21 Wrote:  At work earlier today a coworker said that there is a math equation that proves that God doesen't exist. Do you all know anything about this?
No math equation will prove that God exists, or doesn't exist. Math is for models - which may indeed indicate a lot about reality, but the real proof of the hypothesis and the model is in the empirical evidence.

For example, Einstein didn't just derive and prove the equations of relativity by sitting in a dark room and thinking. No, he relied upon the experimental evidence at hand to formulate the empiracally-determined postulates of Relativity (see Michelson-Morley experiments) and then derived the equations using those postulates as his premise. The, he tested his theory and found it to explain other phenomenon heretofore not to be explained via Newtonian Mechanics. Others followed. After awhile, it became very darned clear that the Relativity Hypothesis was indeed a Theory!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2013, 03:53 AM
(07-06-2010 02:06 PM)omega21 Wrote:  At work earlier today a coworker said that there is a math equation that proves that God doesen't exist. Do you all know anything about this?

Given what we do know, we can use math to make a statistical analysis on the probability of the existence of a god. There is always that 1 chance, but we can use math to show that it is a 1 buried below a TON of zeroes. If you have a good 45 minutes to kill, here is a talk from Richard Carrier PhD given during Skepticon 4, where he talks about Bayes Theorem.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Quote:I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Does that mean President Obama does not exist? Smile
25-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Yeah, math disapproves of god. It also disapproves of people.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
25-02-2013, 09:58 AM
And I disapprove of math. And of god. Now we're even. Or is it at odds? Either way...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
25-02-2013, 01:06 PM
You can't really prove the non-existence of something unless you can describe it. The God concept is flooded with descriptors, but most of them can be selectively discarded if God's existence is ever challenged by them. For example, omnipotent gets asterisks attached when we talk about really heavy rocks.

I don't know if this is the one your coworker is talking about, but look into Godel's incompleteness theorems, in light of God's purported omniscience.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
25-02-2013, 01:13 PM
And then, there's Gödel's proof, of course. Which doesn't mean anything to me, but I'm this stupid.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
25-02-2013, 01:19 PM
[Image: 35377809.jpg]
25-02-2013, 01:29 PM
(25-02-2013 01:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  And then, there's Gödel's proof, of course. Which doesn't mean anything to me, but I'm this stupid.
Same spelling (I want an umlaut key), different person. Your Godel is assuming, first, that a maximal element for the possible can be formulated (rather than several non-comparable elements), and second and more egregiously, that imagining something is true will make it true.

My Godel was an early 20th century mathematical logician who demonstrated the logical inconsistency of complete knowledge. No system of facts can ever be complete; something will always be missing. He did this by showing that a system of facts cannot prove the claim that something cannot be proven using only the system of facts, and also demonstrating that this claim was true.

Applying this to God's omniscience, consider the following assertion: God does not know that this claim is true. (With a traditional epistemological definition of knowledge as true belief.) If God DID believe the claim to be true, and it was true, then the claim would also somehow be false, and thus it is impossible for God to believe it is true. Therefore, God doesn't know it's true. And that makes it true. You can know it, I can know it, everyone in the world can know it. But God can't. Thus, God is not omniscient, because there is a fact that God doesn't know.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
25-02-2013, 01:30 PM
(25-02-2013 01:19 PM)Logisch Wrote:  [Image: 35377809.jpg]
Boredom. Also, new poster.