Math Major

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Math Major
Any math majors here? What's it like? I'm going to college soon, but I can't decide if I should major in math or biology. I love both so much Smile . Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I find the reasons for your reasoning unreasonable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-03-2013, 11:27 PM
RE: Math Major
I share a similar interests and the same problem, I can't pick. I can't decide between taking neurology and psychology or math and physics. At the moment I'm leaning towards the latter.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

12-03-2013, 01:05 AM
(11-03-2013 08:42 PM)The Velohexum Wrote:  Any math majors here? What's it like? I'm going to college soon, but I can't decide if I should major in math or biology. I love both so much Smile . Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I did maths. I do wish I'd taken a little more biology, but I took some and some physics and some psychology.

Do you have to choose in your first year? First year is usually not specialized.

Besides, I switched majors 3 times. Maths -> psychology -> chemistry -> maths.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-03-2013, 08:51 AM
I double majored in Math and Computer Science, I figured (and was correct) that finding a math job might be hard and it would be easier to find something in programming. In hindsight I wish I would have done biology but that's only because of my high interest in evolution and biology in general. I find that programming 8 hours a day every day is pretty monotonous (although new projects are fun for a few weeks).
12-03-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm very interested in evolutionary biology, and I'm also captivated by ideas in abstract math, like chaos theory. I've already bought some General Ed. textbooks to study (I know, pretty nerdy Smartass ), so maybe my enjoyment of numbers and evolution can coalesce somehow later on in life. Thanks for the responses, too.

13-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Also a math / biology double major isn't unheard of ( http://biology.njit.edu/academics/underg...emajor.php ), so perhaps that might be a good option for you. I took an intro to genetics course and it was loaded with math and probability, the two seem to complement each other so perhaps that's a field you should consider looking into.
[+] 1 user Likes FeelHappiness's post
13-03-2013, 03:25 PM
These are some great answers and opinions. I'll definitely think about them. Thanks everyone!

13-03-2013, 08:13 PM
(11-03-2013 08:42 PM)The Velohexum Wrote:  Any math majors here? What's it like? I'm going to college soon, but I can't decide if I should major in math or biology. I love both so much Smile . Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Comp Sci or Engineering will give you more earning potential than Math. There's plenty of math in both to keep you happy. Biology won't buy you dick unless you become an MD or get a PhD and go into research. Guess it depends on whether you're living off a trust fund or not. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-03-2013, 08:15 PM
(13-03-2013 08:13 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Comp Sci or Engineering will give you more earning potential than Math. There's plenty of math in both to keep you happy. Biology won't buy you dick unless you become an MD or get a PhD and go into research. Guess it depends on whether you're living off a trust fund or not. Wink

Not necessarily. Quants earn big bucks on Wall Street.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user