Math Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 01:48 PM
Math Question
So after 6 of the most exhausting, trying and traumatic months of my life, I'm finally moving to Seattle in a week. Miso is stoked. Cool

My method of transportation is my most fuel-efficient vehicle: a 2007 Toyota Corolla. She gets between 30-40 MPG, and she's going to be taking me across the country from Virginia to Washington state. It's gonna be a hell of a drive, but frankly, I'm not too keen on spending the night in motels. Partly because motels/hotels creep me out, partly because I'd honestly rather just sleep in my car. My phone suction-cupped to the dash playing Cosmos on Netflix; the air conditioning blowing gently; hot-boxing in my own little mobile apartment. How awesome, right?

Problem is, it's hot as balls because it's the middle of the god-damn Summer, so I can't just sit; even with the windows down. (At least not in my current part of the country; I have no idea what it'll be like as I head northwest) Like I said, I'm gonna need my AC on, which means I need my engine running so it doesn't kill my battery. I plan to only get four or five hours a night so I can get back on the road, but I'm worried about my gas.

THE POINT: I'm horrible at math, so can some genius tell me how long I can sleep in my idling car before it runs out of gas? I know it probably won't go dry just idling for a few hours; even if I slept a full 10 or 12. But what are my fuel losses during a few hours of sleeping in the AC with my car running?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
20-07-2015, 02:06 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2015 02:13 PM by yakherder.)
RE: Math Question
The bigger problem is the fact that when idling for long periods of time your alternator will probably not be putting out enough amps to both keep your battery charged and your air conditioner running. The result may therefore end up being a dead battery.

I'm not really much of a car nerd, so if my assessment is flawed, someone feel free to correct me.

'Murican Canadian
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
20-07-2015, 02:33 PM
I don't think the overnight temperatures would be so uncomfortable as to require the A/C all night. You'll be traversing the northern part of the country where the humidity isn't so lethal as it is in, say, Louisiana.

I'd be nervous sleeping in a closed car with the engine running anyway. Anything mechanical going boink while asleep could put the car into motion or let CO leak into the interior and asleep you'd never know you'd just been killed. It's a pleasant way to go, but probably earlier than you'd like to have that happen.

So I'd find a spot that wouldn't block any breezes and snooze with engine off and the windows open. The breezes would keep the bugs clear and the sleep comfortable. Maybe tape mosquito netting over the open windows with duct tape on the inside.

Hope you have a great trip!
[+] 1 user Likes Airportkid's post
20-07-2015, 02:46 PM
I'd be more concerned with overheating. Idling for long periods with the ac running is a strain on the engine. Combine that with the fact that it's warm outside, and you're not moving to help force air through the radiator. Sure the electric fan helps, but it might not be enough.
20-07-2015, 02:49 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2015 02:53 PM by onlinebiker.)
A hotel room for the night costs less than 100 bucks.

A new engine costs over 1000 bucks.....

You really need me to do the math????

edit to add ---

AND BESIDES --- it's tough enough staying awake on long drive after you've had a shower and good nights sleep in a bed..... You're going to be a hazard to yourself and everyone else on the road -- as you'll be dozing off every 20 minutes or so all day -- plus you'll feel like you've been tortured by an NVA interrogator after sleeping in a car seat all night...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-07-2015, 02:55 PM (This post was last modified: 20-07-2015 03:07 PM by Dark Light.)
Get a battery (external battery that is) powered fan or a hotel room. It is hot as balls right now. I'd spring for hotel room, creepy or no.

20-07-2015, 03:18 PM
1st world drivers Tongue

Park with the front of your car over a curb at a slight incline to break potential rain that might otherwise run under your car, grab an air mattress, and steep on the ground under the car. It'll be cooler than inside the car.

'Murican Canadian
20-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Why not just sleep in a tent?

I just wanted to let you know that I love you even though you aren't naked right now. Heart
20-07-2015, 03:54 PM
We had a woman and her kids in NZ who were house sitting recently where (for some reason) they had a car idling for an extended period.
When the home owners came back from their holiday they found the house sitters dead of carbon monoxide poisoning.
For them the car was in the garage.
It might be fine to idle outside, but I don't know. Seems a very weird way to do it. It you really want to sleep in the car get yourself some warm clothes, hat, gloves and a duvet.
20-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Another small point, there are many places where doing this is actually illegal.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense