Math Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 04:11 PM
RE: Math Question
(20-07-2015 03:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  We had a woman and her kids in NZ who were house sitting recently where (for some reason) they had a car idling for an extended period.
When the home owners came back from their holiday they found the house sitters dead of carbon monoxide poisoning.
For them the car was in the garage.
It might be fine to idle outside, but I don't know. Seems a very weird way to do it. It you really want to sleep in the car get yourself some warm clothes, hat, gloves and a duvet.

???

You must be in the southern hemisphere. Here in the US, it's mid-summer, and cold is not the problem -- excessive heat and humidity is the problem. So the warm clothes, hat, gloves, and duvet will not help.

Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2015, 04:18 PM
(20-07-2015 04:11 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ???

You must be in the southern hemisphere. Here in the US, it's mid-summer, and cold is not the problem -- excessive heat and humidity is the problem. So the warm clothes, hat, gloves, and duvet will not help.

Big Grin
Ah, yes, forgot that heat was the problem not cold. It's mid winter here.
20-07-2015, 06:13 PM
(20-07-2015 04:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 04:11 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ???

Big Grin
Ah, yes, forgot that heat was the problem not cold. It's mid winter here.

Oh, Stevil, I was up in Auckland last weekend. I just wanna emphasize how shit that city is. And also my friends for not buying me a skydive but whatever, separate issue.

People can't drive for shit. Like seriously. And everyone is so god damn angry and rude. I thought people down here were fucktards, up in Auckland it's 10 fold.
Also, what's with the pedestrian crossing signals. What, you Jafa's too good for static normal crossing signals? You just gotta have the fancy ones that walk huh? It's not enough you take our power and ugly up our countryside with big ass powerlines but you than gotta waste that power on swag walking crossing signals?

This is why the rest of the country doesn't like Auckland.
That and because it's like 40% Chinese, 40% Indian

[Image: oscar.png]
20-07-2015, 06:18 PM
(20-07-2015 01:48 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So after 6 of the most exhausting, trying and traumatic months of my life, I'm finally moving to Seattle in a week. Miso is stoked. Cool

My method of transportation is my most fuel-efficient vehicle: a 2007 Toyota Corolla. She gets between 30-40 MPG, and she's going to be taking me across the country from Virginia to Washington state. It's gonna be a hell of a drive, but frankly, I'm not too keen on spending the night in motels. Partly because motels/hotels creep me out, partly because I'd honestly rather just sleep in my car. My phone suction-cupped to the dash playing Cosmos on Netflix; the air conditioning blowing gently; hot-boxing in my own little mobile apartment. How awesome, right?

Problem is, it's hot as balls because it's the middle of the god-damn Summer, so I can't just sit; even with the windows down. (At least not in my current part of the country; I have no idea what it'll be like as I head northwest) Like I said, I'm gonna need my AC on, which means I need my engine running so it doesn't kill my battery. I plan to only get four or five hours a night so I can get back on the road, but I'm worried about my gas.

THE POINT: I'm horrible at math, so can some genius tell me how long I can sleep in my idling car before it runs out of gas? I know it probably won't go dry just idling for a few hours; even if I slept a full 10 or 12. But what are my fuel losses during a few hours of sleeping in the AC with my car running?

I grew up doing marathon road trips with my family since we couldn't afford hotel rooms. I still to the marathon thing today - I just want to get where I am going.

But - don't push yourself till you are too tired to drive safely - not good for anyone.

You will be mostly in the northern half of the country where nights actually cool off, unlike here where it's likely to still be 90 at midnight. Some rest areas will let you pull over and sleep - like the ones with big truck areas. You can probably catch 4-6 hours after midnight at a place like that with the windows open a small amount and be fine.

And hotels aren't all that bad. If you just need a shower and a couple hours of sleep in the AC - bring your own sleeping bag and pillow and throw them on top of the hotel bed.

Travel safe! And keep us posted.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
20-07-2015, 06:38 PM
(20-07-2015 06:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And also my friends for not buying me a skydive but whatever, separate issue.

Girly would buy you a skydive little buddy.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
20-07-2015, 06:44 PM
(20-07-2015 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 06:13 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  And also my friends for not buying me a skydive but whatever, separate issue.

Girly would buy you a skydive little buddy.

If this ever happens, one or both of you please wear a go-pro. Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post
20-07-2015, 06:46 PM
(20-07-2015 06:44 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 06:38 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Girly would buy you a skydive little buddy.

If this ever happens, one or both of you please wear a go-pro. Thumbsup

I am picturing a tandem jump with Girly on top. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

[+] 3 users Like Anjele's post
20-07-2015, 06:48 PM
Why do hotels creep you out. I loooooooooooooooooove hotels. I don't have to make the bed or do the laundry. When my kids were little my husband stayed home while I went to a local hotel for two days all by myself just to get some sleep and rest up. I came back feeling 100% better.

If you're creeped out by hotel germs, just have a couple of kids, both in diapers at the same time. You'll get over it fast.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
20-07-2015, 06:49 PM
(20-07-2015 06:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 06:44 PM)pablo Wrote:  If this ever happens, one or both of you please wear a go-pro. Thumbsup

I am picturing a tandem jump with Girly on top. Tongue

Naked.

Big Grin

[+] 3 users Like Dark Light's post
20-07-2015, 06:50 PM
(20-07-2015 06:49 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 06:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am picturing a tandem jump with Girly on top. Tongue

Naked.

Big Grin

That goes without saying. Tongue