Math Question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2015, 07:00 PM
RE: Math Question
(20-07-2015 06:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 06:44 PM)pablo Wrote:  If this ever happens, one or both of you please wear a go-pro. Thumbsup

I am picturing a tandem jump with Girly on top. Tongue

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-07-2015, 07:03 PM
(20-07-2015 07:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 06:46 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I am picturing a tandem jump with Girly on top. Tongue

Oh, good lord. Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-07-2015, 08:11 PM
(20-07-2015 01:48 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  So after 6 of the most exhausting, trying and traumatic months of my life, I'm finally moving to Seattle in a week. Miso is stoked. Cool

My method of transportation is my most fuel-efficient vehicle: a 2007 Toyota Corolla. She gets between 30-40 MPG, and she's going to be taking me across the country from Virginia to Washington state. It's gonna be a hell of a drive, but frankly, I'm not too keen on spending the night in motels. Partly because motels/hotels creep me out, partly because I'd honestly rather just sleep in my car. My phone suction-cupped to the dash playing Cosmos on Netflix; the air conditioning blowing gently; hot-boxing in my own little mobile apartment. How awesome, right?

Problem is, it's hot as balls because it's the middle of the god-damn Summer, so I can't just sit; even with the windows down. (At least not in my current part of the country; I have no idea what it'll be like as I head northwest) Like I said, I'm gonna need my AC on, which means I need my engine running so it doesn't kill my battery. I plan to only get four or five hours a night so I can get back on the road, but I'm worried about my gas.

THE POINT: I'm horrible at math, so can some genius tell me how long I can sleep in my idling car before it runs out of gas? I know it probably won't go dry just idling for a few hours; even if I slept a full 10 or 12. But what are my fuel losses during a few hours of sleeping in the AC with my car running?
A car engine is designed to be most efficient at highway speed. If you're getting 35 MPG then you're burning about 2 gallons per hour. At idle speed the engine is not as efficient so you'll probably burn 3 gallons per hour. A 10 gallon tank will be empty in about 3 to 4 hours.

Generally the legal limit for how long you can stay at an interstate rest stop is four hours. This is set by the individual states so it may very. I think Kansas has no limit.

If you're really freaked out by motels consider buying a tent, air mattress, sleeping bag and stay at a K.O.A.

Consider staying at an upscale hotel like Hilton or Hyatt. I don't think any place where they treat you like royalty could be a bad thing.

If you do sleep in your car definitely keep the window rolled all the way down.

Federal law limits truckers to 8 hours on the road per day. At 70 MPH that's 560 miles per day but I recommend no more than 400 miles per day. Long trips in cars can be awfully fatiguing.

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
20-07-2015, 11:02 PM
(20-07-2015 06:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(20-07-2015 06:49 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Naked.

Big Grin

That goes without saying. Tongue

And yet it was said anyway.. Dodgy

[Image: oscar.png]
21-07-2015, 02:03 PM
If you're trying to save money I know of a pretty cheap hotel.

[Image: bates_motel_by_arfur9-d66k6i3.png]

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
21-07-2015, 07:13 PM
Welp, I totaled my car today. Soooo, it looks like I'm taking a plane. lol

Thanks everyone.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
21-07-2015, 07:20 PM
(21-07-2015 07:13 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Welp, I totaled my car today. Soooo, it looks like I'm taking a plane. lol

Thanks everyone.

I think we had better plans... Undecided

Sorry to hear about your car.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
21-07-2015, 07:28 PM
(21-07-2015 07:13 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Welp, I totaled my car today. Soooo, it looks like I'm taking a plane. lol

Thanks everyone.

Damn, hope you're ok. Thumbsup
21-07-2015, 07:32 PM
Well done, Misanthropik! Big Grin

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
21-07-2015, 07:42 PM

Thanks everyone.

You're OK, I hope.

And ... pics or it didn't happen. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user