Math and God

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 2.33 Average
28-02-2013, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2013 11:25 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: Math and God
Math is not necessarily complex. It can be, it can also be elegantly simple.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-03-2013, 11:25 PM
(28-02-2013 09:53 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Math is not necessarily complex. It can be, it can also be elegantly simple.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
26-03-2013, 11:36 PM
[Image: GjwhUhY.jpg]

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
26-03-2013, 11:39 PM
Some people say this formula proves that god exists:

[Image: euler-identity.png]

But I'm not so convinced. I prefer this one:

[Image: sex-eq-fun-math.jpg]

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like KVron's post
27-03-2013, 07:13 AM
How am I the first to post

?
18-07-2016, 08:56 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 09:27 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(27-02-2013 04:30 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(27-02-2013 04:09 AM)Sceptical Prophet Wrote:  That's the thing though, maths can be used to describe a multiverse but it cannot be used to describe god because by definition, god defies mathematics and physics (the two of which are very closely related). A human can be defined because we know the properties of humans and have the evidence of physical specimens to back that up. There is none of that for god.

And even if it were intellectually plausible to ignore the fact that your parameters are untestable (i.e. you assume a definition of god without any proof that definition is correct), you would still run into the paradox I mentioned in my previous post. How do you mathematically define something capable of creating infinities? Is he mathematically greater than infinity? What's the notation for something greater than infinity? Infinity squared is still infinity. This is where your argument falls apart:

- Not in the case of infinities.

It's an interesting idea but it falls short. Plus the multiverse theory circumvents a lot of problems (i.e. it answers some hanging questions) whilst being mathematically plausible. There's a lot more evidence for it that you might think.
Infinity is not a number but rather a concept...so how do you add 1 to it or square it?

Totally false.
Ramanujan proved that specific numbers can be the sums of infinite "nested" square roots. (4th equation, Chapter12, page 105 of his first notebook, and proposed in the 3rd Volume of the Indian Mathematical Society, question 289, circa 1911.)

(snort)

18-07-2016, 09:17 AM
(25-02-2013 02:09 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Math is simply a language we humans use when the details of what we are trying to describe become so complex that natural language no longer suffices.

It's a language that we humans use to more concisely and unambiguously describe certain abstract concepts. It is good for describing certain things, not so good at others. It's conciseness is also its weakness as it has trouble with nebulous concepts, complexity and unknowns.

(25-02-2013 02:09 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If we assume for a moment that God does indeed exist can He be describe by math?

Notice I mentioned 'unambiguously' in the first sentence? First you would have to come up with a precise and unequivocal definition of what a god was and what a god wasn't before you could even hope to mathematically model one. No theist has ever managed that. And even if you could do that, could you mathematically model a human being?
18-07-2016, 09:21 AM
(25-02-2013 03:07 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Premise 1: Math can be used to describe things real and imagined.
Premise 2: God is a thing that is either real or imagined.
Conclusion: Math can be used to describe God.

But can Maths describe all things real and imagined?

Are there things that Maths cannot describe?

Yes, because Maths isn't complete. It's a collection of systems that is still in development. Like some natural languages have words and concepts that other natural languages do not.

You talk about Maths as if it's one thing. You don't even specify what Maths you are referring to. Geometry? Pure maths? Applied? Statistics? Logic? Algorithmic?
18-07-2016, 09:43 AM (This post was last modified: 18-07-2016 09:49 AM by TSNest.)
(25-02-2013 02:09 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  If we assume for a moment that God does indeed exist can He be describe by math?

1=3 Smile

Or did you have some other god in mind?

Just a people on a rock without a clue.
18-07-2016, 09:48 AM
What the hell, Bucky?

[Image: 179809d1373210666t-apple-going-down-bill...omancy.png]