Math and Psychology?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-07-2014, 02:40 PM
Math and Psychology?
With the exception of statistics, is there any other practical reason for using math in psychological theory?

Any examples? (calc., geo., trig., etc.)

(Sorry Kim, I can't stay away from the math. I'm still thinking. haha)

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be."- Albert Einstein.

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Steven Hawking
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes elconquistador's post
16-07-2014, 05:45 AM
RE: Math and Psychology?
You can model anything with math; including human behavior. The accuracy of the model would depend on the inputs you put in and the soundness of your model. I read your other post and there were major problems with it. Calculus and an understanding of differential equations would be required, as well as use of the scientific method to come up with and test a hypothesis.

It seemed to me were trying to derive an equation without defining your variables. In addition, you were changing the values that should be constants.
16-07-2014, 05:53 AM
Sure, if you take the numbers of your birth date and multiply them with your house number, subtract your zip code and add three, you will have the HTML color code for the wall color that soothes you most. Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
16-07-2014, 07:55 AM
(16-07-2014 05:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  Sure, if you take the numbers of your birth date and multiply them with your house number, subtract your zip code and add three, you will have the HTML color code for the wall color that soothes you most. Tongue

For a more precise result, use zip+4. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-07-2014, 08:12 AM
(16-07-2014 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-07-2014 05:53 AM)Dom Wrote:  Sure, if you take the numbers of your birth date and multiply them with your house number, subtract your zip code and add three, you will have the HTML color code for the wall color that soothes you most. Tongue

For a more precise result, use zip+4. Thumbsup

No, no, no! See, if you hold a mirror up against the number 3, you get an 8, and 8 resembles infinity. Hence, 3 is infinitely better than 4.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man