Math help

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-01-2015, 07:30 PM
RE: Math help
Quote:2% is a bit above our current average

Didn't humans breed a lot more back in the day? I mean we have 1 and 3/4 children now a days because the survival rate is high and we don't need them to plow the field. Back in the day you needed to pop out a couple dozen or your grain wasn't gonna get plowed.

[Image: oscar.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
13-01-2015, 07:34 PM
The question is not population, it is how we can get different races with a population bottle neck that would be equivalent to eternal inbreeding. Seriously, if it was true we should be just seeing our first asian person and still not have blacks and hispanics or whites.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
13-01-2015, 07:35 PM
(13-01-2015 01:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I am a bit rusty on exponentials and algebraic problems. I’m trying to determine what the population of the earth would be if 8 people grew at 2% (2% is a bit above our current average) for 6,000 years. This site shows me how to do the math and still I’m not getting the answer.

http://www.coolmath.com/algebra/17-expon...wth-01.htm

So what we really need is to solve for the growth rate of 8 people to become 7.1 billion in 6,000 years! I’m curious, thanks for your help.

P = ?

Po = 8e
r = 0.02
t = 6000

and

r = ?
Po = 8e
P = 7,100,000,000
t = 6000

Weeping

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
13-01-2015, 08:27 PM
(13-01-2015 07:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 01:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  I am a bit rusty on exponentials and algebraic problems. I’m trying to determine what the population of the earth would be if 8 people grew at 2% (2% is a bit above our current average) for 6,000 years. This site shows me how to do the math and still I’m not getting the answer.

http://www.coolmath.com/algebra/17-expon...wth-01.htm

So what we really need is to solve for the growth rate of 8 people to become 7.1 billion in 6,000 years! I’m curious, thanks for your help.

P = ?

Po = 8e
r = 0.02
t = 6000

and

r = ?
Po = 8e
P = 7,100,000,000
t = 6000

Weeping

Avert your eyes - this is not for you. No

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-01-2015, 11:07 PM
(13-01-2015 04:07 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 04:05 PM)morondog Wrote:  Mmm, good point.
Also, the new people are going to take around 20-30 years before they start reproducing and at about 38 years they are generally done, certainly past 50 years not many keep reproducing.

All of that is rolled into the growth rate, no need to break it down further.
We know the growth rates fluctuate but we also have some historical figures going back hundreds of years.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
13-01-2015, 11:08 PM
(13-01-2015 07:30 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  
Quote:2% is a bit above our current average

Didn't humans breed a lot more back in the day? I mean we have 1 and 3/4 children now a days because the survival rate is high and we don't need them to plow the field. Back in the day you needed to pop out a couple dozen or your grain wasn't gonna get plowed.

They also suffered a much higher mortality rate and had shorter lifespans.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-01-2015, 01:45 AM
(13-01-2015 02:59 PM)morondog Wrote:  we could give ourselves a lot more problems than simply global warming Big Grin

Let's get to work on these problems! It's chilly in these parts Angel

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 1 user Likes Nurse's post
14-01-2015, 01:55 AM
(13-01-2015 08:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 07:35 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Weeping

Avert your eyes - this is not for you. No

Bullshit, Anj was the one who rocked like a 100% in her maths exam IIRC.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
14-01-2015, 02:09 AM
Math was always my best subject. Got a 104 in precal II at UAH when I was a junior in high school. Then I went to auburn. And I might have missed a few classes for reasons. The only thing I remember understanding my Vietnamese instructor (first semester. God Inwas a dumbass) say all semester, "You not know difficult. You not understand. Vietnam hard. You not know hard!" Dude, I should get a cookie for figuring out that's what he said, I shoulda gotten an A for interpreting that shit.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
14-01-2015, 05:15 AM
(13-01-2015 01:48 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  ...
what the population of the earth would be if 8 people grew at 2% (2% is a bit above our current average) for 6,000 years.

Dunno. How tall were these 8 people to start with?

After 6,000 years, you'd have 8 very tall dead people.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post