"Math" shuts off a part of the brain? Is that right?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2012, 09:26 AM
"Math" shuts off a part of the brain? Is that right?
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...154002.htm

"....the PMC is not the brain's "center of self-consciousness"...

Quote:Yet all the electrodes that lit up during the self-episodic condition were conspicuously deactivated during arithmetic calculation. In fact, the circuits being monitored by these electrodes were not merely passively silent, but actively suppressed, said Parvizi. "The more a circuit is activated during autobiographical recall, the more it is suppressed during math. It's essentially impossible to do both at once."

I wonder if the same thing happens with theological literature to a religious wingnut?

I think what the 'science' is rendering is that returning to reactive measure (maintaining theorem within the mind) can affect some adversely. Perhaps even make it so some cannot even tie their own shoes.

I am bugged that many hold a 'law of nature' over their own capability!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2012, 09:33 AM
RE: "Math" shuts off a part of the brain? Is that right?
I can't seem to stop sneezing today.

I wonder if I'm coming down with something.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
04-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Could be allergies. Allergy season is winding down, but flu season hasn't started yet.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-09-2012, 09:37 AM
You guys have an allergy season?

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
04-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Sure, Holiday Season, Baseball Season, Allergy Season.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
04-09-2012, 09:52 AM
(04-09-2012 09:26 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...154002.htm

Quote:Yet all the electrodes that lit up during the self-episodic condition were conspicuously deactivated during arithmetic calculation. In fact, the circuits being monitored by these electrodes were not merely passively silent, but actively suppressed, said Parvizi. "The more a circuit is activated during autobiographical recall, the more it is suppressed during math. It's essentially impossible to do both at once."

I wonder if the same thing happens with theological literature to a religious wingnut?

I think what the 'science' is rendering is that returning to reactive measure (maintaining theorem within the mind) can affect some adversely. Perhaps even make it so some cannot even tie their own shoes.

I would love to reply in a serious way, but I feel that I'll simply get trolled.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
04-09-2012, 09:54 AM
(04-09-2012 09:52 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(04-09-2012 09:26 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/201...154002.htm

I would love to reply in a serious way, but I feel that I'll simply get trolled.

What? Why so suspicious? Consider

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
04-09-2012, 10:13 AM
(04-09-2012 09:52 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would love to reply in a serious way, but I feel that I'll simply get trolled.

each item shares something that is being 'currently' observed, in science and i am weird enough to point out items.

the trolls, eat garbage, with cake all over their faces.

Did you know, before today, that the brain did that during calculation?

it is almost like going against nature to adher to a 'belief' knowing damn well, that the adhered too concept, is contradicting your own experience.

ie... following a belief, and then witnessing that the practioners are the most horrid of law breakers, that you were told to accept.

iee..... the second 'law' (2LoT) is to be repealed to the 'pirates code' as a sort of 'guideline', too.
04-09-2012, 10:14 AM
(04-09-2012 09:54 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(04-09-2012 09:52 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I would love to reply in a serious way, but I feel that I'll simply get trolled.

What? Why so suspicious? Consider

because of punks like you!
04-09-2012, 10:16 AM
(04-09-2012 10:13 AM)Bishadi Wrote:  

each item shares something that is being 'currently' observed, in science and i am weird enough to point out items.

the trolls, eat garbage, with cake all over their faces.

Did you know, before today, that the brain did that during calculation?

it is almost like going against nature to adher to a 'belief' knowing damn well, that the adhered too concept, is contradicting your own experience.

ie... following a belief, and then witnessing that the practioners are the most horrid of law breakers, that you were told to accept.

iee..... the second 'law' (2LoT) is to be repealed to the 'pirates code' as a sort of 'guideline', too.

I think you may have some interesting things to say, but you are not succeeding in communicating them.

What is your original language?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Math and Psychology? elconquistador 4 78 16-07-2014 08:12 AM
Last Post: Dom
  Neuro-theology- your brain on religion Bows and Arrows 1 61 07-05-2014 10:26 AM
Last Post: ghostexorcist
  Poliovirus injected into brain Bows and Arrows 1 52 26-04-2014 08:14 AM
Last Post: Dyer51
  Studies at Harvard show Monkeys are better at math then previously thought. JDog554 4 78 26-04-2014 01:23 AM
Last Post: JDog554
  Student-Made Facebook and Twitter pages (As part of a larger project) carasaurus_wres 5 99 23-04-2014 10:43 PM
Last Post: Free Thought
  Made my brain hurt quiz!! try this one smartypants! Bows and Arrows 75 1,033 14-04-2014 09:00 AM
Last Post: Thorne
  Fun with Math GirlyMan 66 1,416 10-04-2014 11:46 PM
Last Post: morondog