Mathmatical argument against life elsewhere in the universe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-07-2015, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2015 11:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Mathmatical argument against life elsewhere in the universe
(09-07-2015 04:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(09-07-2015 04:00 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Thanks for the math lesson sonny boy. But maybe you should double check your math before you call mine incorrect. It's 10^(10^10)=10^100. Don't know how you came up with 10^10 * 10^10 but that formulation is wrong. But thanks for playing.
Why did you do 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 10?

Fuck if I know. Probably saw it in the bottom of some shot glass. Your formulation is correct and mine is wrong. Mea culpa and thanks for the correction! Thumbsup

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-07-2015, 02:05 AM
(10-07-2015 11:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-07-2015 04:59 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Why did you do 10 to the power of 10 to the power of 10?

Fuck if I know. Probably saw it in the bottom of some shot glass. Your formulation is correct and mine is wrong. Mea culpa and thanks for the correction! Thumbsup
Hey mate, thanks for this, I didn't intend to upstage you or highlight any flaws. Ordinarily I'd be coming to you for math advice.
11-07-2015, 02:36 AM
(11-07-2015 02:05 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 11:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Fuck if I know. Probably saw it in the bottom of some shot glass. Your formulation is correct and mine is wrong. Mea culpa and thanks for the correction! Thumbsup
Hey mate, thanks for this, I didn't intend to upstage you or highlight any flaws. Ordinarily I'd be coming to you for math advice.
You did it right.

#sigh
13-07-2015, 08:30 AM
(10-07-2015 10:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you want to estimate the probability, you will need some detailed knowledge of chemistry and a good description of the range of conditions in the environment. without that, an estimate that is based on 'feels' is not likely to be accurate.

If the factors here are unknown to the extent that we couldn't say with any real confidence, that abiogenesis would likely of occurred in 1 of 10 million (100million, 500 million, 100billions etc) other earth like planets, than we can't say with any real, even moderate confidence that life exists anywhere else besides on our own planet.

We can't say with any real confidence that life doesn't exist anywhere else either. But your suggestions to the contrary are no more valid than mine.
13-07-2015, 10:22 AM
(13-07-2015 08:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(10-07-2015 10:24 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you want to estimate the probability, you will need some detailed knowledge of chemistry and a good description of the range of conditions in the environment. without that, an estimate that is based on 'feels' is not likely to be accurate.

If the factors here are unknown to the extent that we couldn't say with any real confidence, that abiogenesis would likely of occurred in 1 of 10 million (100million, 500 million, 100billions etc) other earth like planets, than we can't say with any real, even moderate confidence that life exists anywhere else besides on our own planet.

We can't say with any real confidence that life doesn't exist anywhere else either. But your suggestions to the contrary are no more valid than mine.

But the factors are known. You don't know them, but some do.
If you have specific points you dispute, let's hear them.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
17-07-2015, 03:39 AM
(13-07-2015 08:30 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Since my knowledge of chemistry seems greater than yours, I think my estimates are better than yours.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-07-2015, 06:27 AM
Know why so many people are opposed to the idea of life elsewhere in the universe??

Ego.

The Catholic Church didn't admit that earth was NOT the center of the universe until 1992... https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg1...as-right-/

Don't soft pedal it - or apologize --- the OFFICIAL DOGMA was the earth was the center of the universe until Pope John Paul II...

Now - watch the "believers" try to re-write history - like they ALWAYS do....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
17-07-2015, 06:34 AM
(17-07-2015 06:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Know why so many people are opposed to the idea of life elsewhere in the universe??

I'm not opposed to life elsewhere in the universe, I just think the case for it as a rather weak one, based more on wishful thinking than anything else.
17-07-2015, 06:42 AM
(17-07-2015 06:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ego.

As Giordano was burned for questioning (IIRC), life elsewhere, *intelligence* elsewhere... does that mean alien civilisations have each their own Jesus Christ?

I mean, sure the man's crazy as fuck and still wedded to the idea of some kind of Judeo-Christian God, but what a fucking hero Smile Thinking as outside the box as he could given the circumstances.

Life elsewhere means we ain't special. And us being special is the premise that powers the church. The idea that by listening to the man in the funny hat one can gain access to the ear of not just the king but the guy that put the king there. It's powerful stuff, for lunatics.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
17-07-2015, 09:30 AM
(17-07-2015 06:42 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(17-07-2015 06:27 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Ego.

As Giordano was burned for questioning (IIRC), life elsewhere, *intelligence* elsewhere... does that mean alien civilisations have each their own Jesus Christ?

I mean, sure the man's crazy as fuck and still wedded to the idea of some kind of Judeo-Christian God, but what a fucking hero Smile Thinking as outside the box as he could given the circumstances.

Life elsewhere means we ain't special. And us being special is the premise that powers the church. The idea that by listening to the man in the funny hat one can gain access to the ear of not just the king but the guy that put the king there. It's powerful stuff, for lunatics.

Like Santa, Jeebus flits about the universe bestowing his gift on all the deserving little worlds.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post