Matthew 13, 1-18

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-03-2016, 09:54 AM
RE: Matthew 13, 1-18
(03-03-2016 10:22 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-03-2016 06:26 PM)Seeking_Truth Wrote:  As I understand it, not everybody will understand the message from Jesus. Unfortunately that's not just as they want you to believe. There are people that doesn't matter what they do they're doomed. What kind of utterly just god would condemn his so called "child" knowing that he predestinate them to be dommed. It's horrendous.

What kind of human would dream up such a tale and scare children with it? Consider

I don't know, maybe he was in a story telling contest when he or she wrote it.

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-03-2016, 10:23 AM
Win anonymous notoriety!
Submit your child-scarring parables to the Temple of YHWH for a chance to have it included in our next work, "How to Piss Off God 2"
Find all posts by this user
05-03-2016, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2016 05:10 AM by Mark Fulton.)
(03-03-2016 02:47 PM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  I was raised mormon.
I cant say i was devout, but being thats all i ever knew, i always thought it must have been real. The whole literal/figurative thing kept me in, i guess. I didnt believe noahs ark was real, or the other tall tales, but i didnt question the story of jesus.
It wasnt until i was in my teens, when my family and missionaries, were discussing this chapter that i broke down and couldnt take it anymore.
Being raised in the faith, i was always told my generation (and presumably the ones that followed) were saved for these last days and so on, that we'd be up against the greatest challenges, and that we were some how a special bunch.
Obviously, no one had a choice where their seed was sown.
The implications of that passage hit me like a freight train.
At the end of it all, they prayed and thanked god for the strong response it had caused, like my feeling of being condemned from the get go was good thing (inevitability, omniscience)
Obviously, i understand it all better now that i am an atheist (fall, original sin, natural man enemy to god, etc), but have any of you encountered this parable and how is it handled?
Does every believer just believe themselves to be sown in the suitible soil and that the not-so--true believers were in the other two?
That whole thing was instrumental in my deconversion, as i knew in my heart that i was never up to snuff, and with the whole denying the holy spirit thing (of which i believed i couldnt escape, being sown on the rocky soil), so it started to put the whole thing in perspective.
But yea.
What is your experiences with this, and other, passages that clearly state that not everyone makes the grade, but the all powerful god, who so wants you to return to him, is actively preventing it?

Matthew 13:1-18, King James Version (KJV)

13 The same day went Jesus out of the house, and sat by the sea side.

2 And great multitudes were gathered together unto him, so that he went into a ship, and sat; and the whole multitude stood on the shore.

3 And he spake many things unto them in parables, saying, Behold, a sower went forth to sow;

4 And when he sowed, some seeds fell by the way side, and the fowls came and devoured them up:

5 Some fell upon stony places, where they had not much earth: and forthwith they sprung up, because they had no deepness of earth:

6 And when the sun was up, they were scorched; and because they had no root, they withered away.

7 And some fell among thorns; and the thorns sprung up, and choked them:

8 But other fell into good ground, and brought forth fruit, some an hundredfold, some sixtyfold, some thirtyfold.

9 Who hath ears to hear, let him hear.

10 And the disciples came, and said unto him, Why speakest thou unto them in parables?

11 He answered and said unto them, Because it is given unto you to know the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, but to them it is not given.

12 For whosoever hath, to him shall be given, and he shall have more abundance: but whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken away even that he hath.

13 Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand.

14 And in them is fulfilled the prophecy of Esaias, which saith, By hearing ye shall hear, and shall not understand; and seeing ye shall see, and shall not perceive:

15 For this people's heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.

16 But blessed are your eyes, for they see: and your ears, for they hear.

17 For verily I say unto you, That many prophets and righteous men have desired to see those things which ye see, and have not seen them; and to hear those things which ye hear, and have not heard them.

18 Hear ye therefore the parable of the sower.

God is the Roman government, Jeebus is the government's message boy. Thumbsup

Do as you are told. Love one another. Love your enemies. Blessed are the meek. Pay your taxes. Life has a bigger agenda than the here and now. Those who don't get it will die.Facepalm

You are special, and one day...after you die, you will get your reward. The more you do as you're told, the bigger your reward will be. Consider

Big Grin

It's all about crowd control.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user