Matthew Parris: As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2012, 05:08 PM
RE: Matthew Parris: As an atheist, I truly believe Africa needs God
Africa was horribly damaged by religions. Religions did temporary good deeds on an individual level and at the same time they did permanent damage for entire communities. Africa needs much less god than they already have. False hope is a surrogate for life, not a solution. When you realize that there is no hope for something better to just happen after you die, maybe you make better decisions for this life.

For example you use a fucking condom and you don't die of AIDS. For example you take contraceptive pills and, with less mouths to feed, you can put more energy in finding or creating a reliable food source for as large a family as you can afford. For example you can stop spending money on crooked priests and buy more medicine.

Change of heart my ass. They change one type of slavery for another. They become church sheep in addition to being their dictators' sheep hoping that in an afterlife they can be god's sheep. That's no way for a human being to live a life. Fuck religions and the way they "help" Africa.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
23-01-2012, 05:52 PM
What does god bring to Africa? killing of 'witches' in the name of god, Killing over which religions imaginary friend is the right one. (Of course to the people who do this its ok because god wants it)

The aids epidemic is partly due to false information about condoms put out by the catholic church.

People turn to god as a last act of desperation and these missionary's took that desperation and used that opportunity to brainwash people.

The money wasted on bibles and churches could have been spent on things that would actually help people like clinics, to pay for vaccinations, for ways so sanitize drinking water, food....

What Africa needs:
For western country's to stop dumping their toxic and radioactive waste off its coast and in its landfills to keep costs low.
For foreign governments to stop propping up brutal dictators and selling them weapons in exchange for resources.
Unfair debt to be cancelled.
Better education, healthcare and other basic things we take for granted.
The list of things Africa need goes on. And god is very very low on that list.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
23-01-2012, 09:30 PM
Sup, MDog?

Lots of love, brother, but chip on my shoulder? Sounds like you got a case of white guilt. Oh no he di'ih. Oh yes he did Cool

As for me, I'm half white soooooooooooooo....

You're right. It is simplistic to suggest that whites destroyed Africa because it leaves out important facts like they're still doing it. Oh snap!

No but for reelz though, I hope you weren't expecting me to sum up the complexity of the effect of the colonial, post-colonial and globalisation periods on Africa in one off hand comedic sentence. I can mega-post if you want, but I went for glib this time around.

I got lots of love for white people, but let's face facts, they got a loooooooooong laundry list of fuck ups to be accountable for and rich white men are hardly in some sort of underprivileged position in the world. If they can't handle the criticism, then tell them to stop raping Africa and to give it back. And as Major Payne once quipped, if they want sympathy they can look in the dictionary between shit and syphilis.

On a serious note, Europeans brought a lot of things to Africa designed to help out those poor savages and just about every last thing they brought has been a pestilence upon the land. Real talk.

Hey, Taz.

Islam was introduced.

And why exactly would Africa be bat shit crazy regardless of the introduction of religion?

Just for the record, people came to Africa and fucked it up. Sure there's some nuance here and there and sure there’s some good eggs in the bunch, but the inescapable truth is that people came, they took and they killed. There's no sugar coating that.

When I hear about people lauding those who have been named a Rhodes scholar, I vomit in my mouth a little bit the same way Native Americans do on Columbus day.

Hey, Buddy.

I just wanted to say that a Western country feeling good about food aid to Africa is like a serial rapist feeling good about setting up a rape crisis centre. "Look at the good work we're doing to end the suffering we caused wantonly!"

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
23-01-2012, 09:48 PM
100 years ago there were some 9 million Christians in sub-Saharan Africa. Today that number sits at 516 million.

To put that in to some perspective that is double the number of Christians in the good old' USofA.

Africa gets better every day...

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2012, 10:54 PM
But don't forget the Black people weren't innocent at least in terms of the african slave trade. The Europeans weren't the ones who hunted for slaves it was the African kings. They conquered the neighbouring tribes enslaved the populace and then sold it to the Europeans for profit.

Of course if were speaking of colonization well that's just another form of conquering and guess what. Every race has done that Asians and Muslims attacked Europe and Africa, the Aztec conquered and slaughtered across the Yucatan peninsula. And when they conquered the original habitants were almost invariably slaughtered enslaved or at the very least treated as second class citezens. White people have no more to apologize then the rest of the world.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
23-01-2012, 11:26 PM
(23-01-2012 09:30 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Lots of love, brother, but chip on my shoulder? Sounds like you got a case of white guilt. Oh no he di'ih. Oh yes he did Cool

Pfft whatever. Guilt for... ? Oh yes, raping and enslaving all those black guys. Yep, that was me. Fuck I feel guilty. My bad. /sarcasm.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
24-01-2012, 12:13 AM
If Africa is an example of all the good that god is capable of doing, I think we all can agree that we want no part of that.
In the Democratic Republic of Congo alone we have over 6 million deaths in the past 10 years and it's not stopping.
In that same country it is reported that there are over 246 different languages, not regional dialects, but languages, separate unto themselves.
There are some countries in the continent of Africa that are prime examples of what a failed state of existence looks like. Poverty & famine on a scale that I can't imagine.
There are also countries that are doing quite well, with large cities, infrastructure and thriving business.

Religion is not needed anywhere - Education is

With enough education, I believe that even a god could actually learn morality, but I don't have that kind of time or patience.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
24-01-2012, 09:46 AM
(23-01-2012 10:54 PM)TarzanSmith Wrote:  But don't forget the Black people weren't innocent at least in terms of the african slave trade. The Europeans weren't the ones who hunted for slaves it was the African kings. They conquered the neighbouring tribes enslaved the populace and then sold it to the Europeans for profit.

Of course if were speaking of colonization well that's just another form of conquering and guess what. Every race has done that Asians and Muslims attacked Europe and Africa, the Aztec conquered and slaughtered across the Yucatan peninsula. And when they conquered the original habitants were almost invariably slaughtered enslaved or at the very least treated as second class citezens. White people have no more to apologize then the rest of the world.

It's not about apologizing, it's about being truthful.
Your first paragraph reads like a bad excuse, "Oh, we are doing anything wrong, we're just buying these already enslaved people."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
24-01-2012, 09:56 AM
Let's not forget what this thread started as.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
24-01-2012, 10:07 AM
(24-01-2012 09:46 AM)Chas Wrote:  It's not about apologizing, it's about being truthful.
Your first paragraph reads like a bad excuse, "Oh, we are doing anything wrong, we're just buying these already enslaved people."

Let's not deny history OK. Slave trade happened. Lots of bad shit happened. Still, you can't really pin the American slave trade on whites in Africa. That was a nice little economic deal worked out between Europe and America... (I may be talking out my ass here, correct me if I'm wrong).

What you *can* maybe nail white Africans for is systematic exploitation, mostly in the 20th century. And even then you've got to be careful. It's not like *all* whites are these evil corporate bastards. There's been a long history of mutual respect and working together between white and black. Apartheid was a heinous system, but there were plenty of white guys who opposed it, went into exile over it and even died in opposition to it.

And for those who supported apartheid and took advantage of the economic opportunities afforded them? Will you be so quick to judge them? They were brought up in the secure knowledge that black guys were inferior human beings, not really capable of governing themselves. A lot of poisonous memes were spread around.

The enduring legacy of apartheid and racism in Africa is mistrust and anger, on both sides, and we have to work on overcoming that. Africa's problems *now* may be rooted in stuff started way back, but nowhere else on the planet do you still find politicians blaming events of twenty and thirty years ago for the reasons why they're no good at their jobs today.

Edit: Sorry for so far off topic. This is an issue close to my heart and I can't really think about it objectively.