Max Payne 3

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Max Payne 3
I've been on a videogame binge lately. Happens when I get man sad. But that's my problem.

Got Max Payne 3, mainly for the multiplayer since Battlefield 3 has failed to impress me, and Minecraft is lonely.

But playing through the single player whenever the Internet unhooks itself randomely I have come to the conclusion that it's fuckin hard. Like jesus shit Rockstar, I'm old and slow to adapt.

Still I refuse to play it on easy, or to change the targeting to auto. I am raised on video-games so I will figure it out eventually.

So my initial impressions on the single player campaign are that it is hard. I die a lot. Way more than any other game of recent memory. I don't like the controls at all and there is not an option I do like so i am adapting. Oddly the controls bother me less in multiplayer. The story is pointless drivel, much as the first two games story were. The story only serves to give reason to shoot a shit ton of people in the face. I HATE being forced to watch cinemas, and they trick you into watching the majority of each one if not the entirety by opting out of load screens in game. Each time you click the skip button the game will tell you "still loading" but I don't believe it. It's a liar. I am not very far into the main campaign because of the two reasons stated, I suck, and multiplayer. I will check back in later when I either give up like a baby, or beat it's difficult ass. Or I will forget all about this and leave you hanging as I often do.

The multiplayer is a double edged sword. There is good and some bad.

The Good:

It can be pretty fun once the initial hump is climbed.
Lots of people playing so rarely are there empty matches.
Gang wars is a blast, especially when you have a good team.
Payne Killer is essentially king of the hill but it's also tons of fun, especially on smaller maps.
Clans are easy to join and give a few benefits. One being more experience gained, and another being grouping during match loading, so you are most likely to play with people you like playing with.

The Bad:

The initial hump is mandatory and boring.
The second hump is excessive though not boring, just long, especially since you're waiting to use a feature that should be there already.
Shit unlocks at ridiculous levels. Making play somewhat unbalanced, especially for new players.

The UGLY:

As mentioned before stuff unlocks at such high levels it can unbalance the game for newer players. Why? Because the upgrades and weapons unlocked are fucking way more powerful than the stuff you get initially.
There are connection issues on occasion that mar the experience and there is no memory for what you have done in game to protect your progress. I literally just suffered a connection loss and was winning FFS. I got nothing.
Not many maps to choose from, and there is one in particular people seem to like a lot that is fucking awful. I hate it.
Spawn issues, like being spawned right in front of an enemy. UGH.

That's it for now, and keep in mind the game just came out, so most of the kinks are likely to be worked out in future updates. Also keep in mind that they haven't stopped me from playing. I still enjoy it even though my wife says my cursing is getting to be a bit much.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
23-05-2012, 06:59 AM
RE: Max Payne 3
I'm going to portray my experience with Max Payne 3, since it seems different to lucradis's.

I am a huge gamer, also a very good one, if I might say so. I've been ranked in the Top Ten Worldwide of a couple different video games: Currently I am rank 4 in chapter II of Max Payne 3 - free aim + time trial.

I have to admit, the game IS difficult. I played it through on hard and died a couple of times. But in my opinion, if you understand how to play a game (how it wants you to play) it becomes easier. In Max Payne this means: Slow motion jump and use normal slow motion as much as possible. There's a reason, why slow-mo jumping is infinitely available Smile

I haven't delved into the multiplayer too much, since I'm more of a singleplayer guy.
Concerning the story, it's a true Rockstar story: Someone is trying to hide or get away from his past and it bites them in the ass.
It's a dark and depressing story, in my opinion one of the greatest mature ones in a while. I love dark and depressing shit Evil_monster

The last thing I want to talk about is the violence. it is a shocking, gastly kind of violence that in my opinion has been unseen -> it is constantly shown in gruesome detail through slow motion. My country is known for censoring videogames - even the slightest violence sometimes. That's why it came as a pleasant surprise, that the only thing Germany censored was the killing of civilians.

In my opinion the game is has a challenging, but very interesting and enticing singleplayer and a decent multiplayer.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes gfatreak's post
24-05-2012, 03:10 AM
All I'm interested is the main thing that got Max Payne to be so popular. The slow-motion camera for when you wanna jump in the room like Bruce Willis. Does this part still have bullet-time, or will I forget that it ever came out?

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-05-2012, 11:57 AM
Both single player and multiplayer have bullet time.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
25-05-2012, 12:06 PM
Fuck this game. It is really getting on my nerves.

The unbalance shit I mentioned is getting ridiculous now that there are players walking around rocket launchering everybody.

Also they updated last night and since then my game crashes every second game I play. If I enter into a gang war it will usually either crash during load up or at the end of the fourth or fifth round.... there's no fail safe set in place for crashes meaning that when it happens all experience is lost. I need that experience to get me a rocket launcher dammit.

28-05-2012, 04:37 AM
How did they made bullet time in multiplayer? If I slow down time, is it slowed for you as well? Strange...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
28-05-2012, 06:08 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2012 06:20 AM by bemore.)
I bought it the other day and I couldnt get into it at first......... there seemed to be more cutscenes than action at the beggining and the trippy way it portrayes some of the story did my head in a little bit...... but I persisted and soon got used to the controls and became impressed.

The multiplayer also took some time for me to get used to im now quite into it and again impressed........ I have to say it is probably the most accurate and detailed physics shooter I have ever played. Where every single death really is unique Cool

I started off with soft lock but now play it in free aim as I think it gives more accurate headshots.

I try to loot as many bodies as possible but lay off a bit in deathmatch as its more dangerous.

Using two loadouts.

Ak-With silencer for med range 3-4 shot bursts.
Mini 30-With silencer for med/long range single shots with more power.

EDIT: Explaining bullet time.

The way it works is you collect and store "adrenalin" through kills and looting.... the bar is split into three and once a bar is filled then it stays filled. If you die whilst a section is half filled then you lose it. You use this adrenalin for your choosen perk (You can choose bullet time or something else) or you can do a dive which initiates bullet time.

If I Initiate bullet time then anything that I am looking at gets slowed down...... they go through the same slow speed of time but there reticle moves very very slightly slower than mine. If anybody is looking at me when I iniate bullet time then I think they can be slowed down as well.

Its tough to explain but it works Smile

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
28-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Eh, not a fan of Max Payne myself. I am waiting for GTV.

Under Repair.