May 21 and the wingnuts

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
11-04-2011, 06:02 AM
May 21 and the wingnuts
I know this was discussed briefly before but I can't find the original thread.

Anyway, for those who missed it, there is a group claiming that the Rapture, and the end of the world, will be on May 21, 2011. You can Google this and find all the details, how the head-wingnut predicted this previously and gasp was wrong then too.

These people seem to be gathering quite a following and also seem to have a lot of money. They are sending their message all over the world through things like radio adds and billboards. There was, up until maybe a week ago, one pretty close to where I live on I95S just north of Philadelphia. Yesterday, I got a roto-call on my cell phone (which really pissed me off).

Has anyone else run into these people? Out of idle curiosity I've been following them a little bit on the internet. I'm just reading, not posting, but I cannot get over how many people not only believe this shyte but how fervent their belief is.

PT Barnum was right: there is a sucker born every minute. In fact, I think Barnum grossly underestimated the birth rate of suckers based on this.

I'm really curious what all these wingnuts are going to do when the sun comes up and all is well on May 22. I'm sure they will have some sort of backpedal excuse for this.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 06:35 AM
RE: May 21 and the wingnuts
(11-04-2011 06:02 AM)BnW Wrote:  I'm really curious what all these wingnuts are going to do when the sun comes up and all is well on May 22. I'm sure they will have some sort of backpedal excuse for this.
miscalculation, as always...
But NEXT TIME!! Next time we REALLY... etc... etc...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
11-04-2011, 08:46 AM
I've seen a few of their billboards around Denver, but I haven't run into any yet. Normally I would just pass this off as regular crazy, but when I learned that they've taught and are having children preach this stuff along side them, I wanted to start a witch hunt for them. In a news report about them, they mentioned that if they're still here after May 21 it's because they weren't good enough to get one of the 140,000 tickets to heaven. And that's where I realized that they've taught their children that same idea, so for 5 months their kids will think the rapture is happening...

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2011, 08:59 AM
Man there would be a lot of money in that.

You have 100% faith that the rapture is coming? WELL THEN PROVE YOUR FAITH IN JESUS NAME, sign your property over to me on a leasehold, prove to jebus that you are worthy to sit by his side, don't be left behind!

Wonder how many people have sold their homes and possessions this time around, makes me ill...
11-04-2011, 10:03 AM
(11-04-2011 08:59 AM)LeighJones Wrote:  Man there would be a lot of money in that....
Wonder how many people have sold their homes and possessions this time around, makes me ill...

Last I heard, some of the followers were selling their possessions to fund their tour across america, or donating it to their leader to help spread his message.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

11-04-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm telling you, there is big bucks in peddling Jesus. I keep toying with the idea of being a megachurch televangelist in my next career. My wife tells me that my atheism would stand in the way of that, but I think it would be a compelling story - atheist sees the light, spreading the good word, please make checks payable to.... Just saying, people pay and pay - I just want some of that action Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 1 user Likes Seasbury's post
11-04-2011, 01:49 PM
(11-04-2011 08:46 AM)Glaucus Wrote:  I've seen a few of their billboards around Denver, but I haven't run into any yet. Normally I would just pass this off as regular crazy, but when I learned that they've taught and are having children preach this stuff along side them, I wanted to start a witch hunt for them. In a news report about them, they mentioned that if they're still here after May 21 it's because they weren't good enough to get one of the 140,000 tickets to heaven. And that's where I realized that they've taught their children that same idea, so for 5 months their kids will think the rapture is happening...
Isn't that what the JWs believe? Are these folks JWs? I thought they were there own group of nuts.

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
11-04-2011, 09:03 PM
(11-04-2011 01:49 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  Isn't that what the JWs believe? Are these folks JWs? I thought they were there own group of nuts.

I may be getting my "crazy religious" types mixed up, but I've heard that number from a lot of religious organizations and groups.

11-04-2011, 09:23 PM
There was some group saying the world would end exactly at 1:00PM on the first day of 2010, but when it didn't happen their excuse was that they all prayed for the sinners to be saved, so papa christ gave everyone another 60 years to return. Thats right, it didn't happen this time but sometime in the next 60-100 years.. maybe... most certainly... well probably...

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
12-04-2011, 06:30 PM
This has started depressing me recently. I don't even want to think about how high the suicide rate is going to be on the 22nd of May. x_x I'm hoping this is just a well-financed but small group. I don't know anyone personally who believes in the May 21st prophecy. Do any of you guys?

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.