May 21 and the wingnuts

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
13-04-2011, 07:00 PM
RE: May 21 and the wingnuts
GK - I think we should go on the premise that the rapture will indeed happen on 21 May and come the 22nd, all still here were left behind - no wrong date, no chance to revise for a new date. The train left and you weren't on it - now deal Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2011, 08:01 PM

(13-04-2011 07:00 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  GK - I think we should go on the premise that the rapture will indeed happen on 21 May and come the 22nd, all still here were left behind - no wrong date, no chance to revise for a new date. The train left and you weren't on it - now deal Wink

Oh that's nearly cause to make someone join Theologyonline.com, or any Christian website that's currently promoting 5/21/2011 so that on the 22nd, they can make their first official post. One that goes along the lines of, "Hi! I'm an atheist and I just wanted to say hello to all the damned Christians! On May 22nd!" Tongue
Quote this message in a reply
14-04-2011, 12:11 PM
(13-04-2011 06:45 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  What I find fascinating about Rapture enthusiasts, is they can't wait to leave the life god gave them. While thinking he's going to kick some ass on everyone that ever doubted there was only one god, one way to have faith that's true, and one way to look at life so as to be rewarded for the loyalty when they're dead.
We have been talking christianity in my comparative world religion class, and the prof hit on a point I never thought of. In christian wedding ceremonies, they are married "until death do us part." Technically in bare bones christian ideas, marriage doesn't carry over into the afterlife. I figure everyone is all excited about the rapture so they can go hit up the great singles bar in the sky...

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
Find all posts by this user
14-04-2011, 06:58 PM
(14-04-2011 12:11 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  We have been talking christianity in my comparative world religion class, and the prof hit on a point I never thought of. In christian wedding ceremonies, they are married "until death do us part." Technically in bare bones christian ideas, marriage doesn't carry over into the afterlife. I figure everyone is all excited about the rapture so they can go hit up the great singles bar in the sky...

I know that Mormons believe that marriage and family continues into the afterlife (that's why they get so damned upset when they find out that a family member is a non-believer), but I hadn't really thought about the consequences of any other afterlife-believing religion and marriage. That's a good question to ask a religious couple before they get married: "What do you think will happen to your marriage after you die? If one of you gets remarried after the other one's death, how does that work in heaven?"

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
14-04-2011, 08:36 PM

(14-04-2011 12:11 PM)cfhmagnet Wrote:  We have been talking christianity in my comparative world religion class, and the prof hit on a point I never thought of. In christian wedding ceremonies, they are married "until death do us part." Technically in bare bones christian ideas, marriage doesn't carry over into the afterlife. I figure everyone is all excited about the rapture so they can go hit up the great singles bar in the sky...
Tongue Perhaps there's a passel of 72 Christos Virgins they're keeping secret on that side of the Abrahamic fence. Hmmm, never thought of that before.
OK, but this did just come to me. Do you think they serve bloody Mary's at that singles bar? Ahhhhhhhh!

Now watch, Jesus did exist and he's going to drown me in my sleep as I dream of swimming in a bottomless sea of Martini.

Damn! Confused
15-04-2011, 07:57 PM
I live in the bible belt, and I haven't seen or heard one peep about this here (other than on the internet). Nothing on radio, billboards, newspaper, in conversations, nothing. I'm sort of surprised that I haven't heard discussion of it, even if they don't believe it. Dog knows they discuss every other religious topic.

My reason for being is to serve as a cat cushion. That is good enough for me. Wink
15-04-2011, 09:42 PM
We actually saw a billboard for this driving between wilmington De and Philly today - pretty exciting stuff Wink

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2011, 10:14 PM (This post was last modified: 15-04-2011 10:18 PM by Efrx86.)
The wingnut billboard... en espaƱol

http://imgur.com/GUDxG

I notice they're using the name "Jehovah" when citing Isaiah 13:6, which leaves little room to guess which specific Christian sect is behind it all.

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
17-04-2011, 07:48 PM

Apparently, their billboards reached us all the way in Canada. They put one up in Winnipeg >.<

[Image: 561_2786.jpg?w=590]
18-04-2011, 01:58 AM

I am sure there's going to be some very devastated people. Exactly how this plays out is only speculation at the moment. There may be some suicides, but I don't expect the numbers to be very huge.