May 4,1970

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2015, 10:03 PM
May 4,1970
Forty-five years ago my older brother was serving in the U.S. Army in Viet Nam, my younger brother
had received the letter from Selective Service to report for a pre-draft physical, and my draft status was 1-A.

And then,

The response was enormous.

[Image: NSS_w1000.jpg]

The U.S. was divided and the tide was turning.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like Chas's post
03-05-2015, 10:05 PM
RE: May 4,1970
Yeahbut, what did you do when the dinosaurs went extinct? Consider

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-05-2015, 10:06 PM
(03-05-2015 10:05 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeahbut, what did you do when the dinosaurs went extinct? Consider

I wept crocodile tears. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 11 users Like Chas's post
03-05-2015, 10:13 PM
(03-05-2015 10:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 10:05 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Yeahbut, what did you do when the dinosaurs went extinct? Consider

I wept crocodile tears. Dodgy

But your arms were too short to wipe them. Tongue
[+] 3 users Like pablo's post
03-05-2015, 10:14 PM
(03-05-2015 10:13 PM)pablo Wrote:  
(03-05-2015 10:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  I wept crocodile tears. Dodgy

But your arms were too short to wipe them. Tongue

[Image: ifyourehappyandyouknowit_zpsf0eb193b.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 8 users Like EvolutionKills's post
03-05-2015, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 08:36 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(03-05-2015 10:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  Forty-five years ago my older brother was serving in the U.S. Army in Viet Nam, my younger brother
had received the letter from Selective Service to report for a pre-draft physical, and my draft status was 1-A.

And then,

The response was enormous.

[Image: NSS_w1000.jpg]

The U.S. was divided and the tide was turning.

I'm fascinated with this period of US History. All those fat-ass generals, and politicians SO damn sure 50,000 US kids needed to die for their idiotic ideas. Then years later, McNamara has the unbelievable balls to say it was all a mistake. He should have gone to prison for war-crimes.

Edit : I was watching PBS's documentary about the last days of the war, and the evacuation of Saigon. It gets worse. Facepalm

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 7 users Like Bucky Ball's post
03-05-2015, 11:01 PM
Glad you didn't have to go, bud. My step-dad was a Marine veteran of Vietnam (65-66), and my brother-in-law an Army vet (73-74). They were both very clear on the fact that it was a shit sandwich.

I don't think those students died in vain. Their sacrifices saved many, many American lives. Glad yours may well have been one of them. :thumbs:
[+] 5 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
04-05-2015, 12:09 AM
(03-05-2015 11:01 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Glad you didn't have to go, bud. My step-dad was a Marine veteran of Vietnam (65-66), and my brother-in-law an Army vet (73-74). They were both very clear on the fact that it was a shit sandwich.

I don't think those students died in vain. Their sacrifices saved many, many American lives. Glad yours may well have been one of them. :thumbs:

Some of those students weren't making a sacrifice. They were in the wrong place, at the wrong time. Just going to class.
[+] 1 user Likes RogueWarrior's post
04-05-2015, 02:36 PM
(03-05-2015 10:19 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Then years later, McNamara has the unbelievable balls to say it was all a mistake. He should have gone to prison for war-crimes.

Well, at least he admitted it. There's another even worse shithead still alive and honored. His name starts with Henry and ends with something like Kiss ass.

But that time period strikes a chord with me too. It was the Vietnam war and the news that tought me, the small child back then, the meaning of the word "dead". The news speaker went on and on about numbers of dead so that I asked my parents about the meaning. They were pretty evasive, a sure method for a child to become even more curious.

And there's also a remote connection. Right after the war, and being persecuted by Hitler, my family considered moving to the States. Some of our relatives did, but we stayed in Austria. In hindsight I'm glad, since my older brother would have been just the right age to be drafted.
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
04-05-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm a bit too young, thankfully, to fully appreciate that time. I also knew a few people who's older brothers served and didn't come home. It had to be hard on the families, the war was so unpopular they were robbed the chance to really mourn their loss. I was equally hard I guess for the ones returning who had issues (PTSD and physical injuries).

My dad was in Vietnam and home by the time kent state thing happened. He had nothing good to say about the peace movement.

He refused to see what an amazing thing it was until maybe years later he admitted the war would have gone on much longer than it should have -- had it not been for the "long haired freaks."

I guess that was something then.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post