Maybe We Over-Criticise The Catholics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2012, 06:46 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 09:18 PM by Hughsie.)
Maybe We Over-Criticise The Catholics
I'm starting to think that we are committing a 'sin' (pun intended Big Grin) by criticising the Catholics so much. I'm not saying that the Catholics aren't worthy of our level of criticism, I'm saying that we need to ensure we don't forget that other denominations can be complete assholes too.

Like in England, the Catholics are heavily criticised in the circles I move in and, while it is merited, perhaps we sometimes over-look that the Church of England are complete assholes too.

As you've probably guessed there is a motivation for my little rant, this article.

This pisses me off on so many levels! Firstly, it has fuck all to do with him what other people do in their bedrooms, I'm sure if someone told him how to conduct his love-life he wouldn't take so kindly so why the fuck does he think it's OK to do it to others. Secondly, how the hell is someone a dictator for preventing discrimination, would he call Abraham Lincoln a dictator for forcing all those plantation owners to free their slaves? Thirdly, why the hell should a religion expect immunity from the law? And finally, how dare he come out with all this bullshit about how the CoE should be able to discriminate if it wishes while at the same time condemning his perceived discrimination of a different group by the CoE!

Sorry to rant but this has really pissed me off. This guy has to be one of the most pompous, arrogant, hypocritical assholes I've ever had to mis-fortune to read about and quite frankly I hope he chokes on his poisonous fucking words!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
27-01-2012, 06:50 PM
RE: Maybe We Over-Criticise The Catholics
Looks like he already choked on one of his front teeth. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
27-01-2012, 08:48 PM
(27-01-2012 06:46 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I'm starting to think that we are committing a 'sin' (pun intended Big Grin) by criticising the Catholics so much. I'm not saying that the Catholics are worthy of our level of criticism, I'm saying that we need to ensure we don't forget that other denominations can be complete assholes too.

Like in England, the Catholics are heavily criticised in the circles I move in and, while it is merited, perhaps we sometimes over-look that the Church of England are complete assholes too.

As you've probably guessed there is a motivation for my little rant, this article.

This pisses me off on so many levels! Firstly, it has fuck all to do with him what other people do in their bedrooms, I'm sure if someone told him how to conduct his love-life he wouldn't take so kindly so why the fuck does he think it's OK to do it to others. Secondly, how the hell is someone a dictator for preventing discrimination, would he call Abraham Lincoln a dictator for forcing all those plantation owners to free their slaves? Thirdly, why the hell should a religion expect immunity from the law? And finally, how dare he come out with all this bullshit about how the CoE should be able to discriminate if it wishes while at the same time condemning his perceived discrimination of a different group by the CoE!

Sorry to rant but this has really pissed me off. This guy has to be one of the most pompous, arrogant, hypocritical assholes I've ever had to mis-fortune to read about and quite frankly I hope he chokes on his poisonous fucking words!

England has a long and glorious history of Catholic-bashing. In North America we've moved on to fundie bashing.

One big problem that the Christians seem to have with gay marriage is calling it 'marriage'. Many of them seem to be ok with (or resigned to) legalizing civil union for gays that is identical to marriage as long as it's not called 'marriage'.

Sheesh, like they own the language? They just can't get the distinction between marriage in their church and civil marriage.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Seems like the Archbishop's forgotten that he don't make the law.

2nd from top man huh? Well, when the top man of the Catholic church is such a bizarre character I guess CoE felt left out.

Don't understand why anyone would listen to such a man.
28-01-2012, 09:19 PM
Can’t help but notice he himself has been on the receiving end of bigotry but is still happy to hand it out…
Maybe it’s do to others as they do to you?

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Just an extra thing to add to this. I was telling my dad about how much this pissed me off and while he agrees that the whole dictator/hypocrisy this with this guy is ridiculous he actually agrees that the CoE should be allowed to refuse marriage to homosexuals.

He claims that part of the CoE marriage says something about marriage being blessed with children and therefore homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to partake in one. He said that, while they can adopt, because they cannot naturally conceive they shouldn't be allowed to marry. I asked him how that is any worse than a couple who absolutely don't want kids taking the vow or an infertile couple taking the vow but he thinks that's OK whereas homosexuals should be excluded.

For a clever guy he doesn't half talk a lot of crap sometimes! I guess that's what you get for being an atheist in a religious family, they think that people should be allowed to discriminate on religious grounds and that's fine but if I ever make a joke about homosexuals then people think that's wrong!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
03-02-2012, 05:13 AM
I never miss an opportunity to bash Catholicism. While I will bash other churches, Catholics hold a special place in my Christian-bashing heart.

I think a British MP notoriously left the CoE to join the Catholic church because she was opposed to the CoE allowing women preachers. In a sense, the CoE is at least trying to move forward. Give them a decade or two and they will cave in to gay marriage out of overwhelming public pressure. This is the only reason the church changes its doctrines, so that it can keep its flock.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
03-02-2012, 06:04 AM
(02-02-2012 09:13 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Just an extra thing to add to this. I was telling my dad about how much this pissed me off and while he agrees that the whole dictator/hypocrisy this with this guy is ridiculous he actually agrees that the CoE should be allowed to refuse marriage to homosexuals.

He claims that part of the CoE marriage says something about marriage being blessed with children and therefore homosexuals shouldn't be allowed to partake in one. He said that, while they can adopt, because they cannot naturally conceive they shouldn't be allowed to marry. I asked him how that is any worse than a couple who absolutely don't want kids taking the vow or an infertile couple taking the vow but he thinks that's OK whereas homosexuals should be excluded.

For a clever guy he doesn't half talk a lot of crap sometimes! I guess that's what you get for being an atheist in a religious family, they think that people should be allowed to discriminate on religious grounds and that's fine but if I ever make a joke about homosexuals then people think that's wrong!

Look, it's their club, they get to make the rules. If they choose not to perform the sacrament of marriage in their their churches, it is their their choice.

Where they step over the line is in opposing same-sex civil marriage. They think they own the word marriage.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user