Maybe an education subforum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-06-2013, 07:53 PM
Maybe an education subforum?
As a teacher myself I'm obviously very biased with this request, but I think it would be nice to have a subforum that focuses on freethinkers in education specifically. Not just teachers, but students. After all, we've all at least been students. As a student, I was the subject of harassment by my peers and even some of my teachers, and as a biology teacher in Arkansas (a state that has had no less than 3 State Supreme Court cases over evolution) I frequently find myself having to defend science. I'm sure I could post about these issues in the other subforums, but it would be nice to have a place dedicated to such topics.

What say ye?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chance's post
30-06-2013, 08:55 PM
RE: Maybe an education subforum?
(30-06-2013 07:53 PM)Chance Wrote:  As a teacher myself I'm obviously very biased with this request, but I think it would be nice to have a subforum that focuses on freethinkers in education specifically. Not just teachers, but students. After all, we've all at least been students. As a student, I was the subject of harassment by my peers and even some of my teachers, and as a biology teacher in Arkansas (a state that has had no less than 3 State Supreme Court cases over evolution) I frequently find myself having to defend science. I'm sure I could post about these issues in the other subforums, but it would be nice to have a place dedicated to such topics.

What say ye?

How do you envision this working?

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-07-2013, 03:21 AM
I have, at several occasions, been tempted to make threads based on my own education and school work for aid, but have ultimately decided against it as I can never seem to find exactly the right place to, well, place it. As such, I find this to be an interesting proposal, however, I fear that it might just become another case of the Teen Sub-section; campaigned for, but ultimately seemingly forgotten, abandoned and unused by even it's campaigners.

Think I'll sit on the Agnostic Fence for once; just going to pussyfoot around the issue until I have some assurances either way.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-07-2013, 04:04 AM
Lets not forget the in-between of College and Uni and how some people are outright frightened of trying it out since their past was solely dedicated to religion. A place for those who are starting out from what feels like scratch to network and gather resources and suppourt from others who have been through or have had similar experiences.

If it does come to be, it needs a solid enough foundation to stand, lest it gather crumbled dust like other forum sections...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
01-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Sounds like a lot of work for me answering questions.
Pass.
Drinking Beverage

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
01-07-2013, 04:52 AM
(01-07-2013 04:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sounds like a lot of work for me answering questions.
Pass.
Drinking Beverage

You're doing a great job of avoiding them. Tongue Keep up the good work, muffs. Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
01-07-2013, 04:54 AM
(01-07-2013 04:52 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 04:33 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Sounds like a lot of work for me answering questions.
Pass.
Drinking Beverage

You're doing a great job of avoiding them. Tongue Keep up the good work, muffs. Thumbsup

Is it really good? Really?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-07-2013, 04:58 AM
(01-07-2013 04:54 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 04:52 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  You're doing a great job of avoiding them. Tongue Keep up the good work, muffs. Thumbsup

Is it really good? Really?

Tongue

01-07-2013, 08:23 AM
I'm sure I can find other suitable areas to post my rantings if you guys think an education-specific subforum would wither and die. I thought it might be useful because that's where it seems like a lot of freethinker's problems originate. I know it did for me and many others I've known at any rate.
01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
(01-07-2013 08:23 AM)Chance Wrote:  I'm sure I can find other suitable areas to post my rantings if you guys think an education-specific subforum would wither and die. I thought it might be useful because that's where it seems like a lot of freethinker's problems originate. I know it did for me and many others I've known at any rate.

You could try just posting them in the science subforum, thats what chas would tell you to do Smile Yes Laughat Blink Hobo

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post