Maybe an education subforum?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-07-2013, 12:08 PM
RE: Maybe an education subforum?
(30-06-2013 07:53 PM)Chance Wrote:  As a teacher myself I'm obviously very biased with this request, but I think it would be nice to have a subforum that focuses on freethinkers in education specifically. Not just teachers, but students. After all, we've all at least been students. As a student, I was the subject of harassment by my peers and even some of my teachers, and as a biology teacher in Arkansas (a state that has had no less than 3 State Supreme Court cases over evolution) I frequently find myself having to defend science. I'm sure I could post about these issues in the other subforums, but it would be nice to have a place dedicated to such topics.

What say ye?

As a former professor, I'd be interested in an Education subforum. My hunch is that it wouldn't go the way of the Teen section, which is meant to be used only by the 13-19 crowd. Access to it would be universal--and everyone here has experience with and interest in education (well, almost everyone) from one perspective or another.

One question I had to ask myself when I was a classroom teacher is how much of an instructor's personal beliefs should be made known to his or her students. I'm not talking about trying to indoctrinate them--that's obviously a no-no. But if you're discussing evolution, should you acknowledge that you believe in it? If you're talking about the American political system, do you disclose you're a Democrat or a Republican? If same-sex marriage is the discussion topic, should you tell your class you're a gay man? And is there ever a time you would mention to a class that you're a freethinker and/or an atheist? Or do you maintain a scrupulous demeanor of neutrality in all these cases and never reveal who you are? I sometimes think I came down on the wrong side of that question. Anyway, it's one of the things I'd like to see discussed in an Education forum.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-07-2013, 12:43 PM
Those are all great questions! I think each deserves its own thread so that each topic could be hashed out without getting buried in commentary on the others.

Just wondering, of what were you a professor? And why former?
01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
(01-07-2013 12:43 PM)Chance Wrote:  Just wondering, of what were you a professor? And why former?

Former = retired. Smile

My fields had to do with language and communication.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
01-07-2013, 03:19 PM
(01-07-2013 10:48 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 08:23 AM)Chance Wrote:  I'm sure I can find other suitable areas to post my rantings if you guys think an education-specific subforum would wither and die. I thought it might be useful because that's where it seems like a lot of freethinker's problems originate. I know it did for me and many others I've known at any rate.

You could try just posting them in the science subforum, thats what chas would tell you to do Smile Yes Laughat Blink Hobo

I will burn your classroom. Angry

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
01-07-2013, 03:22 PM
(01-07-2013 03:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(01-07-2013 10:48 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You could try just posting them in the science subforum, thats what chas would tell you to do Smile Yes Laughat Blink Hobo

I will burn your classroom. Angry

I'll bring the hot dogs and marshmallows you bring the sticks, k?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
01-07-2013, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2013 03:35 PM by Chas.)
You should post this in the Forum Issues, Suggestions and Comments forum for the drunken pack of deformed elves
who mismanage this place to argue, whine, and fret over
the wise and kindly forum management team to discuss in measured terms.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
01-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Yeah, naturally I skimmed the forum selection when thinking of making this post and only after submitting did I notice that particular area. I certainly do appreciate not being immediately immolated for my lapse in observational skills.
01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
(01-07-2013 05:24 PM)Chance Wrote:  Yeah, naturally I skimmed the forum selection when thinking of making this post and only after submitting did I notice that particular area. I certainly do appreciate not being immediately immolated for my lapse in observational skills.

We save immolation to those truly deserving, it's what makes us better than Yahweh. As to your idea, what seems to work best around here is to show there is a need by making several threads about the topic you want a subforum for. It is hard to say beforehand how active a topic would be, but if you have say 5-10 active threads about your topic then it makes a better case.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
01-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Seems like good idea...

Did I just doom it to failure?

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy