Mayor Promotes Bible Reading

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2014, 08:16 AM
Mayor Promotes Bible Reading
Another clueless political leader in the US telling everybody how to think.

http://starlocalmedia.com/theleader/mayo...f887a.html

I guess to be optimistic, that is one surefire way to produce more clear and reasonable thinkers in his town.

Living in Texas is painful at times!!!

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
03-01-2014, 08:27 AM
RE: Mayor Promotes Bible Reading
He does seem sincere in his goal. I'll give him that. He passed up the option to go on FOX to promote his agenda.

On the other side it awfully blurs the line of division of church and state.

What do you think?

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
03-01-2014, 08:30 AM
My first question is always: "The WHOLE bible?"

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
03-01-2014, 08:31 AM
Quote:Hayden read a proclamation during the Dec. 16 town council meeting, proclaiming 2014 as the year of the Bible. As part of the initiative, Hayden is encouraging everyone to read the Bible in its entirety by the end of the year.

Good. A person who has at least half of his or her braincells working whilest reading the bible will notice what a piece of shit it is and reject it.

Of course, on the other hand that place could be filled with complete morons.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
03-01-2014, 08:37 AM
I think this mayor is being a tool and is trying to shoe-horn the church right into the state because he doesn't really know much about the Constitution or the history of the country. On the other hand, I think every person in the US should read the Bible, not as a theological exercise, but in order to inform themselves regarding the foundational literature of such a significant part of their country's demography. That's not to say it should be a polemical exercise either, but simply an education for the sake of education. They should also read the Quran, the Zhuangzi, the Bhagavad Gita, and other religious literature. It would certainly promote better understanding and mitigate the ignorant rhetoric that so pervade contemporary culture wars.

My Blog
[+] 2 users Like maklelan's post
03-01-2014, 08:46 AM
An obvious violation of separation of church and state and government promoting a religion. I agree that it will be a good learning experience at a minimun (christian or otherwise), but I see his intentions as more of an attempt to bring his flock closer to Jesus. That is also how to get votes in Texas - next thing we will here is his town's school district teaching the adam and eve story in biology classes.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
03-01-2014, 10:24 AM
(03-01-2014 08:30 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  My first question is always: "The WHOLE bible?"

Yup. All the books.

[Image: resized_all-the-things-meme-generator-re...e67038.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
03-01-2014, 10:26 AM
I wonder if he will read the Bible himself - since he is promoting it, he obviously hasn't done so yet.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
03-01-2014, 10:30 AM
(03-01-2014 10:26 AM)Impulse Wrote:  I wonder if he will read the Bible himself - since he is promoting it, he obviously hasn't done so yet.

I wonder if he's read the constitution

“The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is because vampires are allergic to bullshit.” ― Richard Pryor
03-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Quote: A person who has at least half of his or her braincells working whilest reading the bible will notice what a piece of shit it is and reject it.

Um...this is Texas, my friend. Don't give them too much credit.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]