Me is Christian. You no believe in God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2011, 04:27 PM
RE: Me is Christian. You no believe in God?
(15-04-2011 11:01 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(14-04-2011 06:46 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  You argue that the Christian god punishes us with death/hell in order to discipline us, right? (Please correct me if I'm mistaken.) Now, besides the obvious flaw that killing people will not allow them to learn from their mistakes (nor will torturing them for eternity allow them to do this either); you seem to have a misguided idea about how to discipline in the first place.
Being condemned to Hell isn't for the purpose of discipline. It is the final punishment for those who have rejected God's attempts to get them to change their way of living. It is analogous to capital punishment in human law.

Oh, I agree that the punishment of hell isn't going to discipline anybody. However, this was a part of BlackEyedGhost's argument, so that is what I was addressing.

I am curious, how does your god attempt to get us to "change our way of living"? Because if he's tried, then he has not made me aware that he is doing so. Also, what is so wrong about the way that I live that I need a deity to change it?

Also, why would god give the sentence of capital punishment to somebody for burning incense when they are not supposed to? Or for looking at a burning city? Or for simply being the first-born child of pagan parents?

(15-04-2011 11:01 AM)theophilus Wrote:  God does sometimes discipline and correct people but he does it by bringing about troubles in this life.

If you have read my post above, then you would see how punishment (specifically positive punishment) does not work very well to alter undesirable behaviour, nor does it cultivate desirable behaviour. If your god wants to discipline us, then I suggest that he learn how to do so properly. Suffering does not bring about desirable behaviour; often, when people suffer, they are driven to do undesirable or even immoral behaviours. Example: if somebody is starving, they will eventually be driven to steal if food is not provided for them in some form or another.

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2011, 05:57 PM
(15-04-2011 11:01 AM)theophilus Wrote:  God does sometimes discipline and correct people but he does it by bringing about troubles in this life.

So basically, your version of god is the very definition of a bully?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
15-04-2011, 06:09 PM
In the words of Prof. Farnsworth:

The evil I can tolerate. But the stupidity...

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
[+] 1 user Likes Norseman's post
18-04-2011, 04:16 AM
And unfortunately, it appears that the main character has withdrawn from discussion... And I have really tried to show him how and why I (and we) think, didn't write this much for ages, and it was all in vain... Damn.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
02-05-2011, 08:45 PM
(18-04-2011 04:16 AM)Filox Wrote:  And unfortunately, it appears that the main character has withdrawn from discussion... And I have really tried to show him how and why I (and we) think, didn't write this much for ages, and it was all in vain... Damn.

I appologize yet again. I want to come to this site, but I have many other things I need to do and with all the things I get bombarded with on this site, I also sometimes need a break to think and such. I really don't want anyone to feel as if their words are lost on me because I've learned a great deal from coming to this site. Now, I'll try to continue on in this thread a bit.
02-05-2011, 09:09 PM
I don't believe in god because there is no supporting evidence... also if you read about the history of Europe and the crusades... they used the Christian gospel to expand their empire and nation. Anyway, when anyone who was intelligent would make a theory or discovery the church would cover it up or try to kill them. Why would they do this? They were going against god supposedly and questioning his and their authority which was absurd back then and would result in death.

It was all just to have power and control as much territory as possible and some countries to this day still believe they need more land and power. Do some reading up and look into it. It's extremely sad and we are extremely lucky to live in this era of time... even if you are a Christian you still are lucky because I don't think you would enjoy the 11th century.

Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crusades

Another is because there were religions before Christianity and those religions are still around... if Christianity was the correct one then there would be no more religions besides Christianity in my opinion. Mythology was the religion for many in the beginning of man because they didn't have answers so they would dream up and create stories about how each action had a god and if they didn't praise them all then for example Zeus would kill them with his lightning bolts. Once they understood all of these things through science this religion was no longer possible to even worship and preach.

Finally as we have learned many things through time, it now has come to just one god and for all of the things man can not answer the religious claim God did it. I'm sorry but I can't believe this because I know whether I'm long gone or if it's within my lifetime they will find out answers to questions we still have.
02-05-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm currently researching the authorship of the Bible (specifically the pentateuch and the old testament). I've also watched the deconversion series on ev3denc3's YouTube channel and learned much of what causes someone to become an atheist. So for anyone who posted things about the history of the bible, I don't think I can answer intelligently just yet. So yeah, just a little update.
02-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Why am I an atheist?

Because my desire for knowledge surpassed my desire for closure.

Love the quote. Where is it from?

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence."
— Christopher Hitchens
02-05-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm glad to hear that you've taken a genuine interest in the opposing view. I'll be curious to know what conclusions you draw from more research.

Of all the ideas put forth by science, it is the principle of Superposition that can undo any power of the gods. For the accumulation of smaller actions has the ability to create, destroy, and move the world.

"I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." -W. E. Henley
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Aaaahhhh, so the topic continues... Nice to see and hear you again BlackEyedGhost. Whenever you feel ready, we will be glad to continue, take your time.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson