Me is Christian. You no believe in God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-12-2010, 12:46 AM

RE: Me is Christian. You no believe in God?
(29-12-2010 09:29 PM)BlackEyedGhost Wrote:  I'm new at this site and I thought it looked interesting, so yeah. I'm a Christian and I'm curious as to why people choose to not believe in God. I'm not offended at all with people bashing me and what I believe, so yeah. Big Grin

I won't bash you, and I suggest you don't take a defensive posture. I did not choose to be atheist anymore than I chose my political philosophy, what I value in relationships, or my life experiences and what I learned from them.

I was raised Catholic and stopped practicing my faith around 16. I studied the roots of the Bible I was reading, the history of the church, and came to the conclusion that the church has hurt the world. I also studied the science and did not accept the teachings of the church that they peacefully co-existed. I think science paints a completely different different concept of creation. I evaluated the God in the Bible and found him to be a dictator (the plagues in Egypt, flooding the earth, testing Jonah, wagering with the devil over the soul of a man, etc). I decided that even if God did exist I did not see him as benevolent and if hell existed, I would end up there anyway. If God demands me to set aside the brain that I have, the morals that I have developed, to worship him, and he'd damn me for that?

It's perfect--it explains the unexplainable. It expresses the human need for knowing where we came from and to explain our ability to think outside our immediate and basic needs. It gave pride to the Jews during times of opression (the meek shall inherit the world, etc). It gives us comfort when a man is able to avoid all punishment (murders that walk free, etc). If he blessed me with this society, this mind, this life then he rigged the game and I'll be damned anyway.

We undervalue the life here on earth preparing for the next life. We don't see our fellow man we see good and evil. We pass judgment because we feel righteous. We shout down anyone who have contradictory knowledge (like banning Galileo's teachings for 140 years) and quickly get rid of the messenger. No, thank you.

If you had my view on this, would you be Catholic?
Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 01:09 AM
(29-12-2010 10:01 PM)trillium13 Wrote:  Also, I don't think that anyone will bash you here unless they feel attacked first, and maybe not even then. That's one of those myths about atheists. Wink
Personnaly, I admire your courage to log into an atheist forum -your oposition- and to open a fair discussion. That's the spirit! Heart

We are not aginst god, we just don't think there is one.
As for a "why" we don't believe? I can only speak for myself: Sience works, Religion doesnt. When your sick, you go see a doctor first, not a priest.

If you like, you can picture us both on the opposite side of a glass pane. life has painted an arrow on it. To me it points to the right, to you it points to the left. (well possible we will both end at the same destination in the end Smile)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Why am I an atheist?

Because my desire for knowledge surpassed my desire for closure.

...Oh, and because I don't embrace genocide, racism, misogyny, homophobia, incest, slavery, pedophilia, infanticide, blood libels, witch hunts, ignorance, and intolerance as my moral mandate.

And I don't believe in fairy tales. And because I like to find solutions to problems, instead of starting with a solution and working backwards. And because the guesswork of a 2000 year old book has been thoroughly disproven by astronomers, historians, biologists, philosophers, geologists, geneticists, radioactive decay, carbon dating, etc.

But really, I just joined the atheist movement because I'm a sucker for trends.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
30-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Why am I an atheist ?

Because I believed very many absurd claims that were making my life miserable.I met an atheist once.I did some research and watched debates and read books.About 6 months later I stopped believing in the supernatural.
30-12-2010, 07:33 AM
O' I hate threads that get 3 paged while I'm sleeping... Damn you time zones!

First, something that was mentioned already: one can't just 'choose' between being a Christian and being an atheist.

Second, aboot completely excluding the supernatural: everything that exists is natural, so anything supernatural should exist outside existance (''the physical world'' if you may) and we don't even know if that's possible (if we do, inform me aboot it). And the next thing is about supernatural things affecting 'the physical world'. A (physical) particle hits an other (physical) particle, something happens. Something ''non-physical'' hits (how?) a physical particle, what happens and how?

What are the problems that you see in excluding 'the' supernatural. And what do you mean by the supernatural?

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
30-12-2010, 09:30 AM
Uhm, is the aboot spelling supposed to indicate your location ?
30-12-2010, 10:47 AM
(30-12-2010 09:30 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Uhm, is the aboot spelling supposed to indicate your location ?

Nope, it's South Parkish Canadian for 'about'.
The only clip i could find, but you'll have to start from 2:46. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRoY6bHj4E

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
30-12-2010, 11:06 AM
Canadian:

"Whars Dory?"
"She's oot and aboot, eh"
"Ah. Jeet chet?"
"Noop. wannabite?"
"Yep"

Translation:

"Where has Dory gone?"
"She went out to run some errands."
"Oh, ok. Have you eaten lunch yet?"
"No I haven't. Would you care to join me for a light meal?"
"Sure! Thanks for asking."

So many cats, so few good recipes.
30-12-2010, 02:41 PM
Why don't I beleive in god? I'm going to assume for the sake of argument that we are talking about the Christian god and not just the general concept.

1. There is no valid historical evidence earlier then 1100 AD or so for Christ's existence being recorded. You would suspect that a man walking around defying the laws of nature would have been worthy of recording during his own lifetime.

2. There are many things in the bible that don't line up with common knowledge such as the earth taking 3 days to create but all the sun and the stars taking but one day. With what we know now about the immense nature of our universe claims such as this show the 1st century primitive nature of the bible.

3. I found god's solution to "sin" (a problem of his own making) philosophically nonsensical. To kill a part of yourself knowing full well it will rise after 3 days and go on to live peacefully for eternity is not a sacrifice on the same scale as the crimes of humanity. In fact it's not really a sacrifice since the status quo for Jesus well being is not only restored but improved.

4. 900 year old people at multiple points in the bible thousands and thousands of years into the past. Not only is this not possible but if this is a result of holiness why does this not occur today with people like the pope or bishops? Because it never happened in the first place.

5. Jesus created the idea of eternal punishment or reward for finite lifetimes. Giving out eternal conditions for finite crimes is highly missing the mark.

I could go on for a few hundred of these if you like and these are nowhere near the 5 strongest arguments I have that made me change my mind but you get the idea.
30-12-2010, 02:45 PM
There was a funny bit in the Family Guy episode : Road to the North Pole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v-UxQNGGeQ