Meadowlark Lemon has died.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2015, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 29-12-2015 08:39 AM by Chas.)
Meadowlark Lemon has died.
He was arguably one of the best basketball players ever.

He played the majority of his career with the Harlem Globetrotters.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
28-12-2015, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 28-12-2015 06:04 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Meadowlark Lemon has died.

The discipline had to be tremendous.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-12-2015, 07:07 PM
RE: Meadowlark Lemon as died.
Amazing man. RIP

[Image: dnw9krH.jpg?4]
28-12-2015, 09:02 PM
(28-12-2015 05:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  He was arguably one of the best basketball players ever.

Lots of people loved him yes and his fans will miss him, but that team was a stage act just like the WWE is not real.

Just like you can enjoy Penn and Teller who are illusionists and an act, they admit everything they do is an act.

He didn't play like NBA players do. He acted in a play. Which is why it is called "Exhibition" basketball.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
28-12-2015, 09:21 PM
The Harlem Globetrotters games were the only basketball games that could ever hold my attention. They were so fun to watch.

And even if you want to call what they did an 'act' it still took talent and hard work to make it look so effortless.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-12-2015, 10:01 PM
(28-12-2015 09:02 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(28-12-2015 05:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  He was arguably one of the best basketball players ever.

Lots of people loved him yes and his fans will miss him, but that team was a stage act just like the WWE is not real.

Just like you can enjoy Penn and Teller who are illusionists and an act, they admit everything they do is an act.

He didn't play like NBA players do. He acted in a play. Which is why it is called "Exhibition" basketball.

Just like the WWE I would love to see you do any of it before showing contempt. The Harlem Globetrotters were an act but they were also highly skilled.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
29-12-2015, 03:05 AM
(28-12-2015 09:02 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  the WWE is not real.

It's scripted, big difference, yes they don't actually beat the shit out of each other but the stuff they do can actually bring them real harm. Old wrestler named Droz, now a quadriplegic because of a botched move he took. Edge, another wrestler Edge, had to retire because he could have ended up in a wheelchair because of neck injuries. You could not do 1/4 of what they do, you would get so hurt so quickly. They train so much and work so hard to do their craft. No it's not real in the sense of they don't actually beat each other up but it's more real than your intelligence it seems.

So I suppose you would not call Wilt Chamberlain a former globetrotter a pro?

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
29-12-2015, 03:45 AM
Thanks for the vid, Girly.

Talking of 'ah-ha' moments, I just had one.

I remember, as a child, seeing the HGs on TV ... usually on at christmas. Great fun to watch.

Perhaps that was what made me think I could shoot and score from the half-way line (I could, but I was useless at everything else).

But not until just now did I put any of it in the context of segregation and US culture. So I wonder if the HGs and maybe Motown had some impact on my innate colour-blindness... quite likely.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-12-2015, 05:56 AM
He certainly was a boon to the sport of Basketball and a great entertainer, and certainly his fans will miss him, but lets be honest, he was a talented performer. No different than saying Penn and Teller are talented performers. It was great entertainment and he was a great entertainer, but not the same as the NBA.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
29-12-2015, 06:47 AM
(28-12-2015 09:21 PM)Anjele Wrote:  The Harlem Globetrotters games were the only basketball games that could ever hold my attention. They were so fun to watch.

And even if you want to call what they did an 'act' it still took talent and hard work to make it look so effortless.

Yes of course, but lets be honest about what it was. It was an act. Like I said, Penn and Teller admit they are an act and what they do are tricks, no that does not take away at all the talent it took for Meddowlark to do what he did.

Same kneejerk reaction humans get when when you tell them there is no god. You can still have a sense of awe about something without pretending it is real. It was a great act

That team helped bring attention to the pro sport as well so what the Trotters did was awesome.