Meaning and Fluff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 08:44 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 09:00 AM by Tomasia.)
Meaning and Fluff
A common godless motto, is the concept of creating our own meaning. In reality we don't create meaning, we find it. Those who find their lives meaningless, are not folks lacking the creative capacities to create it, but are unable to find meaning in things others are able to. Perhaps because the sources of meaning for others are unattainable for them, or perhaps because the sources don't possess any meaningful quality for them, and are as unintresting as stamp collecting is to me.

But my question is this, is there any seeming sense of universality in our own ideas of meaningful life? Are there components that seem to be a part of each and everyones conceptions of this, even if there are other components that are different?

Even if we are unable to take a large scale survey of this, would we find some commonalities here, that isn't particular to whether one is religious or not?

One aspect that I find has a seemingly universal commonality too, is that each and every persons concept of meaningful life, tends to value love, and some sense of community, friendship, or fellowship. No one seems to imagine meaningful life as an isolated existence, but rather requires some sense of shared fellowship. And not just a fellowship of participants in a shared task, but one in which there is a shared sense of empathy, and compassion for each other.

Love and community seems to me the best summation of this component.

For those who find their lives meaningful, in whatever ways they do find them so, are these components a significant part of the meaningfulness you find?

Is there anyone who finds their life meaningful, for reasons absent of these components?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
09-01-2015, 08:48 AM
RE: Meaning and Fluff
I propose a communal contest to list all the spelling and grammar flaws in the above fluff. We can all find communal meaning in that. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-01-2015, 10:16 AM
(09-01-2015 08:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Love and community seems to me the best summation of this component.

For those who find their lives meaningful, in whatever ways they do find them so, are these components a significant part of the meaningfulness you find?

Is there anyone who finds their life meaningful, for reasons absent of these components?

Yes, they even have a name for those that value other things besides love and community, they're called hedonists.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
09-01-2015, 10:44 AM

"Where's the love?
Give it up
It makes the world go 'round and 'round and 'round"

They had great meaning to my 12 year old heart.

Big Grin

I also find meaning in my work - but then, my work is helping others.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
09-01-2015, 11:06 AM
(09-01-2015 10:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yes, they even have a name for those that value other things besides love and community, they're called hedonists.

Would that be a description of you as well?
09-01-2015, 11:18 AM
A common godLY motto is that life has or requires a meaning. Atheists do not represent a philosophical monolith. All that unites us ideologically is a single concept we do NOT believe in: the existence of deities. I wouldn't presume to speak for other atheists, but for myself life is not about creating or finding "meaning" because I don't really need my life to have a meaning. I just want to make it the best life it can be, for myself and in consideration of the impact my life has on others. Life is just living, it's a process. You do it whether or not there is a meaning or purpose to it beyond just surviving. Absent any "meaning" or "point" to eating ice cream I still enjoy eating ice cream, for example.
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
09-01-2015, 11:21 AM
(09-01-2015 11:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 10:16 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yes, they even have a name for those that value other things besides love and community, they're called hedonists.

Would that be a description of you as well?

Nope.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-01-2015, 01:12 PM
(09-01-2015 08:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A common godless motto, is the concept of creating our own meaning. In reality we don't create meaning, we find it.

<Snippety-snip>

But my question is this, is there any seeming sense of universality in our own ideas of meaningful life?

Yes, one near-universal constant. Ask a thousand people what the meaning of their life is and every last one of them will tell you it's about them. Some will speak of god or charity, but it's always their god or their charity. Nobody ever lives just for another. We can't get into their head well enough.

Stripped of construct and device, we find the same thing at the heart of all meaning. The individual who created it.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 6 users Like Paleophyte's post
09-01-2015, 01:37 PM
(09-01-2015 08:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A common godless motto, is the concept of creating our own meaning. In reality we don't create meaning, we find it.

Yes.

"The meaning of life is the experience of living" Frank Herbert, Dune.

So, on that, we seem to agree.

But for me, that experience is largely (and preferably) solitary.

Probably not enough 'mother-love' or something Blush

Having said that, I think the search for 'universals' should be one of humanities goals... and that journey is more important than the destination.

And @Bucky... thanks for giving me my first irony-chuckle of the morning. Big Grin

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
09-01-2015, 01:57 PM
(09-01-2015 01:37 PM)DLJ Wrote:  

Yes.

"The meaning of life is the experience of living" Frank Herbert, Dune.

So, on that, we seem to agree.

But for me, that experience is largely (and preferably) solitary.

Probably not enough 'mother-love' or something Blush

Having said that, I think the search for 'universals' should be one of humanities goals... and that journey is more important than the destination.

And @Bucky... thanks for giving me my first irony-chuckle of the morning. Big Grin

I like being solitary too. Nothing to do with mother love though - I got ample portions of that.

I find tons of meaning in my life on a daily basis. And yes, Paleophyte has it, at the heart of all meaning is the one who created it.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post