Meaning and Fluff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 08:57 AM
RE: Meaning and Fluff
(09-01-2015 01:12 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Stripped of construct and device, we find the same thing at the heart of all meaning. The individual who created it.

Self-actualization.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-01-2015, 09:04 AM
(12-01-2015 08:57 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 01:12 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  Stripped of construct and device, we find the same thing at the heart of all meaning. The individual who created it.

Self-actualization.

Izzat what they call it?

BRB, "self-actualizing" Blush

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
16-01-2015, 10:20 PM
(09-01-2015 11:18 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  All that unites us ideologically is a single concept we do NOT believe in: the existence of deities.
I find this statement interesting. I wonder if you are open to discussing it. While I can not "prove" my theory, I believe that there is more than one ideological concept that is common to the majority of atheists. I think a valid argument could be put forth that most atheists identify their "self" with the intellect. If I am correct then atheists have a lot more in common than just their disbelief.
22-01-2015, 03:46 PM
(16-01-2015 10:20 PM)Pointwithinacircle Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 11:18 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  All that unites us ideologically is a single concept we do NOT believe in: the existence of deities.
I find this statement interesting. I wonder if you are open to discussing it. While I can not "prove" my theory, I believe that there is more than one ideological concept that is common to the majority of atheists. I think a valid argument could be put forth that most atheists identify their "self" with the intellect. If I am correct then atheists have a lot more in common than just their disbelief.

Well sure, it's probably true that atheists might TEND to have more in common than just the ONE concept we mutually do not believe in. I'm just saying the lack of belief in deities is the one thing we can be guaranteed to have in common. If a higher percentage of us enjoy Coen Brothers movies and craft beer than you'd find in the general population, for example, I don't think I'd be surprised by that.
[+] 2 users Like Mr. Boston's post
22-01-2015, 05:08 PM
Regardless of our meaning "found" in these areas. The concepts of Love and community are deeply impact and relevant to most people because those and survival are basically manipulations of our strongest desires.

From my existentialist or absurdist manner of viewing things, I can say I've viewed other meanings in my life more important to me. It's not lead to the most emotional ease in leave but having poor community/love status than I'd like because I focus and find more meaning and value in the ideas of seeking new ideas, creative or knowledgeable ones. Ideas of expecting and confounding new information give far more meaning to my life than the interactions and it's silly absurd and meaningless overall as information I take in won't likely expound deeply unless I do something about it.. but I suppose the creative means are my desires to counteract that.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
22-01-2015, 05:45 PM
(16-01-2015 10:20 PM)Pointwithinacircle Wrote:  

People here come from all corners of the world, all ages from early teens into the 80s, all economic levels, religious back grounds and walks of life, and are all colors and shapes and whatnot.

The only common denominator we have is that we don't believe in gods.

What else do you think all of us share?

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
22-01-2015, 06:27 PM (This post was last modified: 22-01-2015 06:49 PM by GirlyMan.)
(16-01-2015 10:20 PM)Pointwithinacircle Wrote:  I think a valid argument could be put forth that most atheists identify their "self" with the intellect. If I am correct then atheists have a lot more in common than just their disbelief.

I lean more to identifying the id with self, the intellect is just along for the ride. Of course I'm not a proper atheist because I do believe in God. I just disagree with most (but not all) religions on who that is.

#sigh
23-01-2015, 10:14 AM
(22-01-2015 05:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  People here come from all corners of the world, all ages from early teens into the 80s, all economic levels, religious back grounds and walks of life, and are all colors and shapes and whatnot.

Well Dom, as a veteran of many fora related to a variety of interests I can say this place has the highest average level of intelligence and eloquence of any online community I've been part of in the past. It's not even close. So maybe that's one other thing we have in common. I'm not trying to be one of those self-aggrandizing atheists who considers himself superior to theists by default. But I think the inherent qualities that drive one towards the pursuit of knowledge also encourage a healthy skepticism about ideas in general, and about theistic philosophies specifically.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
23-01-2015, 07:28 PM
(23-01-2015 10:14 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  
(22-01-2015 05:45 PM)Dom Wrote:  People here come from all corners of the world, all ages from early teens into the 80s, all economic levels, religious back grounds and walks of life, and are all colors and shapes and whatnot.

Well Dom, as a veteran of many fora related to a variety of interests I can say this place has the highest average level of intelligence and eloquence of any online community I've been part of in the past. It's not even close. So maybe that's one other thing we have in common. I'm not trying to be one of those self-aggrandizing atheists who considers himself superior to theists by default. But I think the inherent qualities that drive one towards the pursuit of knowledge also encourage a healthy skepticism about ideas in general, and about theistic philosophies specifically.

Yes, the forum members here are a lot of smartie-pant types. I have a hard time relating to people who aren't curious about the world, past and present.

But the meaning in my life? I don't put that kind of thing into words.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-01-2015, 08:40 PM
(23-01-2015 07:28 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  But the meaning in my life? I don't put that kind of thing into words.

It's ineffable.

#sigh