Meaning and Fluff

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2015, 12:42 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2015 01:01 AM by Tartarus Sauce.)
RE: Meaning and Fluff
(09-01-2015 08:44 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  A common godless motto, is the concept of creating our own meaning. In reality we don't create meaning, we find it. Those who find their lives meaningless, are not folks lacking the creative capacities to create it, but are unable to find meaning in things others are able to. Perhaps because the sources of meaning for others are unattainable for them, or perhaps because the sources don't possess any meaningful quality for them, and are as unintresting as stamp collecting is to me.

In a way you are correct, we find meaning. We also "find" our passions, our preferences, our love interests, and so on. Meaning, however, is dependent upon a conscious observer to exist as a concept, meaning is secondary to the primacy of existence, it's a filter, a viewing hole particular to each and every individuals experience of their own existence. Existence is here, meaning is interpreted by our pattern seeking brains; in the absence of us or other conscious beings, meaning itself becomes meaningless, a ship without a port to dock in.

Perhaps it being created and being found need not be mutually exclusive processes.

Quote:But my question is this, is there any seeming sense of universality in our own ideas of meaningful life? Are there components that seem to be a part of each and everyones conceptions of this, even if there are other components that are different?

Even if we are unable to take a large scale survey of this, would we find some commonalities here, that isn't particular to whether one is religious or not?

One aspect that I find has a seemingly universal commonality too, is that each and every persons concept of meaningful life, tends to value love, and some sense of community, friendship, or fellowship. No one seems to imagine meaningful life as an isolated existence, but rather requires some sense of shared fellowship. And not just a fellowship of participants in a shared task, but one in which there is a shared sense of empathy, and compassion for each other.

Love and community seems to me the best summation of this component.

It's certainly the most commonly shared value for sure, yet universal it is not, although all whom subscribe to it believe it should be uncompromisingly accepted as the pinnacle of humanity's nature, the throne from which all else revolves around. The power of compassion is almost unquestioningly viewed as pure in intention and value.

Yet as I said, not wholly ubiquitous. A psychopath would find no meaning in a life in which meaning is hinged upon empathy and social union.

Quote:For those who find their lives meaningful, in whatever ways they do find them so, are these components a significant part of the meaningfulness you find?

Is there anyone who finds their life meaningful, for reasons absent of these components?

Yes, compassion for our fellow humans, for humanity as a whole, is central to the meaning I find in life. To paraphrase Chas from a post he made awhile ago, "everyone is pondscum, but I too am pondscum, and therefore I care for my fellow pondscum as well."

And that's all we really are, pondscum drifting about aimlessly in this lake we call existence. Although we will merely create but nearly indiscernible ripples on this infinitely vast surface, for us pondscum, they will be waves. We must make sure those ripples count for all of us pondscum, we must make those waves together.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply