Meaning and Nihilism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-03-2014, 11:31 AM
Meaning and Nihilism
Can meaning be derived from an atheistic worldview? Is Nietzsche correct?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes carthusian's post
14-03-2014, 11:43 AM
RE: Meaning and Nihilism
(14-03-2014 11:31 AM)carthusian Wrote:  Can meaning be derived from an atheistic worldview? Is Nietzsche correct?

Yes. And yes and no.

And welcome to the forum! Hell of a start! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-03-2014, 11:43 AM
Philosophy, from "love of wisdom," and I ask you, what love, do we celebrate, when we declare "all is meaningless?"

I have an avatar that celebrates a casual attraction to Kristen Stewart and a heart that verily lives with a more than casual obsession with Gwyneth Paltrow...

...and if you must insist that life has no meaning, then you have no time for my response.

Why, sure. You, of the ignorant many, there is no such thing as atheism. What there is, is that we're sick of your shit. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
14-03-2014, 12:11 PM
Your sub-conscious cannot differentiate between what is "Good" or "bad". That is a huge influence in my nihilism alongside age, experience and reflection that observes myself, character, personality and my sense of I, as ever changing and transient.

This lead me to three options.

1: You give life your own meaning, you are wrong.
2: You give life your own meaning, you are correct (Either way you have no way of confirming this)
3: There is no meaning.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
14-03-2014, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 12:32 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-03-2014 11:31 AM)carthusian Wrote:  Can meaning be derived from an atheistic worldview? Is Nietzsche correct?

Sure. In fact an atheistic worldview, unlike the superstitious worldviews, requires it. Nihilism just means there is no "objective" meaning. All meaning is necessarily subjective and local and artificial and transient. "Active nihilism" is the recognition and embracing of this. Nietzsche distinguishes between Schopenhauer's pussy "passive nihilism" as the "will to nothingness" and the Übermensch's "active nihilism" as the "will to power". And check out the wikipedia entry on nihilism. It's actually quite good.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-03-2014, 12:45 PM
I believe the atheist is question must fit the Übermensch, "the will to power," criteria, not just any atheist in question.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
14-03-2014, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 14-03-2014 02:33 PM by GirlyMan.)
(14-03-2014 12:45 PM)Dee Wrote:  I believe the atheist is question must fit the Übermensch, "the will to power," criteria, not just any atheist in question.

I think atheism entails it. I realize and appreciate that not everyone shares that thought.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
14-03-2014, 02:35 PM

What is your definition of meaning? What is meaningful to you may not be meaningful to me.
14-03-2014, 03:23 PM
I wrote:
I believe the atheist is question must fit the Übermensch, "the will to power," criteria, not just any atheist in question.

GirllyMan Wrote:

"I think atheism entails it. I realize and appreciate that not everyone shares that thought."

Yeah, I did consider that GirlyMan. You may be right. I have not thought much about atheist philosophy.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
14-03-2014, 04:46 PM
The dialectics according to Laozi (firstly known thinker of Daoism) might be interesting information, or answer of some sort, to your question. But if you are inclining to idealism, then it might not sit well with you, 'cause I think materialism (the philosophy, not the view of value) makes more sense.

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 1 user Likes HU.Junyuan's post