Meaning of life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2012, 08:31 AM
Meaning of life
What's meaning of our live? Why should we get up and do things every day? As many people, I've been thinking about this for quite a long time. I know it's for the most part something that everyone hast to find out for himself, but I would like to know your stance on this subject. I'm for most part pragmatic, sceptical and critical thinking (or at least I try). I don't believe in afterlife, as there is no evidence for it. I don't believe in the God nor a god or gods for pretty much same reason. What I came up with, as my view on our meaning of life is that we (or more to the point I, cause it's my viewpoint) would do best with our lives, if we did something meaningful and helpful for society. Why is that? Well we as humans are social beings. We are dependant on people around us and on our civilization. And our civilization is pretty much only thing you can preserver if you think of individuals as mortals. So that's all nice and awesome... preserve society! It will live forever!

*WARNING I'M PULLING NEXT LINES FROM MY TERRIBLE MEMORY OF SEVERAL DOCUMENTARIES AND FEW BOOKS. IT MAY BE VERY WELL ALL WRONG, SO FEEL FREE TO CORRECT ME ON THAT.*
... but wait. Isn't our space expanding? But there is no new matter or energy creating in it (as far as we know). So that leads us to conclusion, that once in billions and billions years our space will be desolate freezing space with single atoms light years from each other. And even if that's not true, isn't entropy in closed system (does space have holes in it?) tending to increase over time? Wouldn't that (or some entirely other cause I'm not aware of) eventually lead to end of our civilization? And if the civilization is not going to last after some point in time, then what point there is to do anything? In hundreds of billions years there wont be anything no matter what I do know. Oh, hello nihilism... I haven't see you coming. Now GET OUT!

As you can see I can pretty easily find reason to live even if there is no god or afterlife, but this method tends to have problems when faced with potential non-existence of future. For a most part I simply don't think about it and it seems that human brains are exceptionally good at covering non beneficial thoughts (oh hey evolution, glad to see you, you're joining our party too?), but still I fell that's not best solution.

*Sorry if topic similar to this already been posted.
*Sorry for my bad English. It's not my native language.
*Not sorry for slightly longer text. Reading is good for your intellect.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2012, 08:46 AM
RE: Meaning of life
What's this "our" stuff? Imma gonna go draw me some moar Gwynnies, that's what I got up for. Wink

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
13-04-2012, 09:16 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existentialism

It's all right there.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
13-04-2012, 09:31 AM
To reproduce.

You're never going to say the things you want to say.
The things you want to change will usually stay that way
The promises you break outweigh the ones you keep.
Paint upon the wall for the hundredth time.

Jesus Jones
13-04-2012, 09:34 AM
(13-04-2012 09:31 AM)bemore Wrote:  To reproduce.

Naaah!

That's our "purpose".

For "meaning" of life, see below vvv

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Well my problem with that is, that if the world is going to end at some point, it doesn't matter how much you reproduce now. It will be eventually pointless.
13-04-2012, 10:57 AM
(13-04-2012 10:29 AM)BlueWolf Wrote:  

Well my problem with that is, that if the world is going to end at some point, it doesn't matter how much you reproduce now. It will be eventually pointless.

So when the Sun explodes around 6 billion years from now, do you not think that what ever life form we will have evolved into will not have mastered other worlds by then?

Your "value" of life is to add to the body of knowledge that will take us to the stars.

Start now!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-04-2012, 11:34 AM
No. I think we will be able to colonize other planets (or at least I hope). What I'm talking about is ultimate end of universe. You see, with everything we do we deplete certain amount of matter/energy (or I should say we convert it to by us unusable kind of matter/energy). That's why you can't get perpetum mobile. I agree, that as we progress in science we're able to use more and more matter/energy around us in useful way, but can we ever get to point where no energy is "depleted", basically being able to create perpetum mobile processes or machines? And if not, then eventually, after aeons and aeons, we'll use up all "fuel" in universe and then our universe will end. And if universe is going to end at some point anyway, then what's point of trying to add to body of knowledge. It's not going to matter in big picture.
13-04-2012, 11:43 AM
(13-04-2012 11:34 AM)BlueWolf Wrote:  No. I think we will be able to colonize other planets (or at least I hope). What I'm talking about is ultimate end of universe. You see, with everything we do we deplete certain amount of matter/energy (or I should say we convert it to by us unusable kind of matter/energy). That's why you can't get perpetum mobile. I agree, that as we progress in science we're able to use more and more matter/energy around us in useful way, but can we ever get to point where no energy is "depleted", basically being able to create perpetum mobile processes or machines? And if not, then eventually, after aeons and aeons, we'll use up all "fuel" in universe and then our universe will end. And if universe is going to end at some point anyway, then what's point of trying to add to body of knowledge. It's not going to matter in big picture.
In the grand scheme of things our existence is extremely insignificant. No matter how long we stick around and reproduce we will eventually meet our demise. Even if it comes at the end of the universe's life (whenever that may be).

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
13-04-2012, 11:45 AM
why is what happens in a billion years time important? Our species will prob be extinct or gods by that time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Is Life a Right? Or Is It a Privilege? Misanthropik 42 499 22-07-2014 01:51 PM
Last Post: Stevil
  Life. Can only biologists speak about it? living thing 10 230 21-06-2014 06:35 AM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  A different idea on pro-life abortion Tartarus Sauce 4 201 04-04-2014 06:46 AM
Last Post: chandlerklebs
  The meaning of true love max_payne 18 550 21-03-2014 04:29 PM
Last Post: Deidre32
  Meaning and Nihilism carthusian 15 321 15-03-2014 09:06 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  the sanctity of life Dom 71 1,177 13-03-2014 04:25 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Critique My Philosophy of Life? Philosofer123 48 1,532 18-02-2014 08:33 PM
Last Post: Chippy