Meaning of life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 10:52 AM
RE: Meaning of life
(09-01-2016 10:41 AM)Zen Wrote:  Because for me, without an answer to that question(why are we here?), there is no purpose to life and no reason to continue living

Nothing brings you joy or satisfaction or contentment? That's very sad.

Are you even trying to live? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2016, 10:56 AM
(09-01-2016 10:41 AM)Zen Wrote:  Because for me, without an answer to that question(why are we here?), there is no purpose to life and no reason to continue living

Would the answer have to make sense?? Would you even believe it if somebody knew it and could tell it you??

We have a section called "Personal Issues and Support" here, I'm not sure if you know that with you being new here. Might be a good idea to share what it is that is bothering you, if im reading correctly between the lines it sounds like you may potentially be in some sort of struggle or pain???

If that is the case and you may decide that there is no answer and you no longer wish to live, you may as well tell us about what's bothering you, after all you have nothing to lose.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
09-01-2016, 10:57 AM

Do you need wholeheartedly to believe that the answer is true? There are plenty of woo systems that will promise you purpose in return for your choosing to believe in them. If that makes you happy, go for it.

Why don't you feel you are capable, your own self, of creating a rich and satisfying purpose, without the need for cosmic validation of that purpose?
09-01-2016, 10:58 AM
I have a bunch of things that give me joy, but they don't give me purpose. That's been more elusive for me to find
09-01-2016, 11:02 AM
I agree mommy and daddy put you here.
For the purpose of reproducing and passing on your genes
and when you die the worms will have a feast and reproduce their genes!
09-01-2016, 11:11 AM
Your answer is 42.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
09-01-2016, 11:20 AM

Your purpose?

That's easy.

You have evolved to ask the question 'why?'.

That's pretty cool, bruv.

Thumbsup

Here, let's let Dan explain it all...

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
09-01-2016, 11:23 AM
Meaning of life
(09-01-2016 01:26 AM)Zen Wrote:  Who placed me here?
You decided to come here.
Quote:Why am I here?
To ask questions and debate things.
Quote:What will happen to me when I die?
Your posts here will cease and nobody will even pay attention to it.
09-01-2016, 11:26 AM

Why do you seek firm answers? What is the value of purpose that you deem it worthy of this view?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-01-2016, 12:04 PM

I do not understand how identifying an externally imposed purpose would make life better. If anything, it would reduce me to nothing more than a tool (not that I haven't been called that on occasion) being used by something else for its own ends. Not seeing any such predefined purpose leaves me open to living my life any way that I see fit and that's a much better prospect in my opinion.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post