Meaning of life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2016, 12:37 PM
RE: Meaning of life
(09-01-2016 01:26 AM)Zen Wrote:  Who placed me here?

Your parents.

Quote:Why am I here?

Because your parents wanted a child.

Quote:What happens when we die

All perception and brain function ceases.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2016, 12:49 PM

God, silly.

(09-01-2016 01:26 AM)Zen Wrote:  Why am I here?

To praise and honor God, silly.

(09-01-2016 01:26 AM)Zen Wrote:  What will happen to me when I die?

If you have accepted GirlyMan as your personal lord and savior you will simply cease to be. If you have not then you will face eternal damnation. Heaven and hell are equally tedious.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-01-2016, 01:05 PM
(09-01-2016 12:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

God, silly.

(09-01-2016 01:26 AM)Zen Wrote:  Why am I here?

(09-01-2016 01:26 AM)Zen Wrote:  What will happen to me when I die?

If you have accepted GirlyMan as your personal lord and savior you will simply cease to be. If you have not then you will face eternal damnation. Heaven and hell are equally tedious.

Would you really want to be an invisible spirit sitting on an unsubstantial cloud strumming on an inaudible harp for ever and forever and for fucking ever?
[+] 1 user Likes DerFish's post
09-01-2016, 01:21 PM
(09-01-2016 01:05 PM)DerFish Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 12:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  God, silly.

Would you really want to be an invisible spirit sitting on an unsubstantial cloud strumming on an inaudible harp for ever and forever and for fucking ever?

#sigh
09-01-2016, 01:25 PM
(09-01-2016 01:26 AM)Zen Wrote:  Who placed me here? Why am I here? What will happen to me when I die?

Meaning is something that applies to concepts. What it means to be alive is to face the alternative between existence and non-existence. Rocks don't face this alternative. Their existence is unconditional. A living organism's existence is conditional.

I think your question would make more sense if you asked: What is the purpose of life?

Broadly speaking, the purpose of life is to live it. To live means to take self generated, goal oriented action. The goal is to acquire the values your life requires to continue living (life is an end in itself). You need to discover what those values are and how to get them. This is your task in life.

Obviously, happiness is preferable to sadness. I suggest you pursue that.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-01-2016, 01:28 PM
(09-01-2016 01:25 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  What is the purpose of life?

To live without purpose.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
09-01-2016, 01:29 PM
(09-01-2016 10:34 AM)Zen Wrote:  (1)God placed us here (2) to live by his rules and (3) in exchange we receive eternal paradise after death.

Just like that, religion answered those questions. Pretty sweet deal; I can see why millions of people cling to the answer religion provides to these questions.

As an atheist my answers are "I don't know."
For the most part, I'm not distressed about it.
I would go insane if I obsessed over the past, "how I got here," and the future, "what happens after I die."

The only thing I worry about is "why are we here?"
I need a good answer to that question to keep going on living day to day. I like the answer of the French waiter from Monty Python Smile

As others have said, we are here because our parents had sex and out we came. speaking broadly, we are here because of a causal process. So now you don't have to worry any more. You know why we are here. Anyone asks you, just say causality.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
09-01-2016, 01:35 PM
(09-01-2016 10:58 AM)Zen Wrote:  I have a bunch of things that give me joy, but they don't give me purpose. That's been more elusive for me to find
Why can't joy be your purpose?

09-01-2016, 01:37 PM
(09-01-2016 01:28 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(09-01-2016 01:25 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  What is the purpose of life?

To live without purpose.

To live is a purpose.

[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
09-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Why do you need a purpose?