Meaning of life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2012, 11:47 AM
RE: Meaning of life
(13-04-2012 10:57 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 10:29 AM)BlueWolf Wrote:  Well my problem with that is, that if the world is going to end at some point, it doesn't matter how much you reproduce now. It will be eventually pointless.

So when the Sun explodes around 6 billion years from now, do you not think that what ever life form we will have evolved into will not have mastered other worlds by then?

Your "value" of life is to add to the body of knowledge that will take us to the stars.

Start now!
This is what I think of life as well Bowing
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-04-2012, 11:54 AM
Ever wondered why you ask yourself this question?

Personally, I already moved away from the "why" question as I understand that this question is mere a reflection of us, social evolved beings wondering what "our place is in the group" or, to put it in other words "what our place is in life"

The answer might be not as important as we think it could be.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 2 users Like Observer's post
13-04-2012, 11:57 AM
(13-04-2012 11:45 AM)morondog Wrote:  why is what happens in a billion years time important? Our species will prob be extinct or gods by that time.
I'm talking about what happens in a billion years because I want to point to this notion of ultimate end. If we die out sooner, then it's same thing. It just happens sooner and you have same problem. Does it really matter to do anything, when we're going to die (as humankind) eventually?

And about becoming gods... I assume creating perpetum mobile, or something from nothing, would be quite close to that. So if we ever manage to get to that point, then we're fine. Problem with that is... it's seem impossible. And what's worse, it's not that kind of impossible, that we don't know how. It's sort of impossible, that laws of physics shows it shouldn't be possible. I'm not saying we couldn't be wrong but it's highly unlikely.
13-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Perhaps cryogenics will uncover the secret to near immortality. I think it'd be so awesome to live long enough to see the most incredible advances we will make. I'm sometimes saddened that I might never live to see a man walk on Mars. Or anything further.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
13-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I still don't get your point? Live your life *for you*. Who cares what happens in the far future? That belongs to the people of that far future, if any. Sure eventually the universe will end. Your life will cease to have had any meaning far before that point, in fact arguably it has no meaning now. The only meaning it has it what you and other people give it.

My life has meaning from the people I have loved, the things I enjoy doing, and the eventual legacy I will leave behind me. Every single person interacts with other people in some way and affects them, even a beggar in the streets, he affects other people's lives, sometimes huge numbers of other people's lives,merely by existing. Maybe someone will see him and set up a charity. Maybe he will die and become a symbol, like the guy in Tunisia (although he wasn't a beggar), maybe he won't affect things *so much*, but maybe he will be kind to a little boy who will remember that kindness for the rest of his life - these things all have short term meaning. Maybe he will be cruel to that little boy... maybe he will starve, in so starving and dying eventually he dies and his body feeds the microorganisms where eventually a flower grows on his grave - maybe a hundred years after he died.

Meaning in terms of billions of years though... like I said, I can't care about that.
13-04-2012, 12:14 PM
(13-04-2012 11:54 AM)Observer Wrote:  Ever wondered why you ask yourself this question?

Personally, I already moved away from the "why" question as I understand that this question is mere a reflection of us, social evolved beings wondering what "our place is in the group" or, to put it in other words "what our place is in life"

I guess the main reason is, that I recently (2-3 years) started to realise how short life of human is. How many things I never will be able to experience and perceive. How many things will I simply miss. That's why I want to live my life as best as I can.

But overall good point. Maybe we could all agree that universe does not have meaning on it's own. It only has meaning that we give it and what we should do is that which we enjoy doing.

I'm still reading through link to wiki Germanyt gave here. But only in this brief amount of answers I got more thought full answers than in few years of my life (guess in what family was I raised? ... I'll give you hint, it starts with Ch) and for that I thank you all. I'll research about this topic bit more until I recreate my opinion on it.
[+] 3 users Like BlueWolf's post
13-04-2012, 12:49 PM
(13-04-2012 12:14 PM)BlueWolf Wrote:  
(13-04-2012 11:54 AM)Observer Wrote:  Ever wondered why you ask yourself this question?

I guess the main reason is, that I recently (2-3 years) started to realise how short life of human is. How many things I never will be able to experience and perceive. How many things will I simply miss. That's why I want to live my life as best as I can.

But overall good point. Maybe we could all agree that universe does not have meaning on it's own. It only has meaning that we give it and what we should do is that which we enjoy doing.

I'm still reading through link to wiki Germanyt gave here. But only in this brief amount of answers I got more thought full answers than in few years of my life (guess in what family was I raised? ... I'll give you hint, it starts with Ch) and for that I thank you all. I'll research about this topic bit more until I recreate my opinion on it.
It's pretty basic. Life is what you make of it. All there is in life is the experience you have and the influence on other people. It's entirely up to the individual what your life means and the legacy you leave behind.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
16-04-2012, 05:05 AM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 05:09 AM by satan69.)
life really does have no meaning, but we have evolved the will to live, so its the reason most atheists havent shot themselves. everyday i ever worked in the last 10 years, as i became more apathetic, i thought to myself while working "why the fuck am i doing this. it means nothing" AND i continue to do it. its pure insanity. most of us are just flat out afraid to die, even though we know we won't know we are dead. its really crazy how we think. its like we fool ourselves into thinking life has some kind of meaning like helping others or some other bullcrap reason. i gained about 15 pounds in the last few months because i was becoming more apathetic. I am back working out and am trying to stay positive, but i really dont give a shit about anything. even the things i do give a shit about, i dont give a shit about.
16-04-2012, 05:37 AM
If you're planning to leave a legacy to your species, and you can't see the point because in 100 billion years it will all be gone... perhaps you should work towards some shorter term and less ambitious targets?
It seems inevitable that our universe will suffer a heat death. That's not to say there is nothing outside the known universe to explore. Perhaps our progeny will have to become something else in order to jump ship into another universe, and perhaps it is ultimately pointless. However, we might as well try. We have nothing better to do with our time do we?
16-04-2012, 06:07 AM
I got up to draw my Gwynnies again. Man, I love that girl... Big Grin

And how is this shit short? This is eternal. Everything that is not right here, right now is simulation. Just like Gwyneth, she ain't here; cause I wouldn't be typing if she was... don't count to no fucking billion years, count to two. Unity in yin and yang - like me and my Gwynnies foreverz.

This other stuff will just give you a headache. Or cause nihilism, like satan over there. You wanna be like satan? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post